Sign in to follow this  
SaysWho?

Movies Aladdin (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread

I was filling out my guesses for a summer movie box office wager, and I really don't know where to put Aladdin. I suspect that this won't be the smash $500M hit that Beauty and the Beast was, but I doubt it'll be the $100M flop that Dumbo was either. I feel like, based on the property alone that it should do better than the Jungle Book did at $364M, but I also think the response to the trailers has been tepid. I think I settled on it making something between $200-$300M, but I feel like I could be way off in either direction.

I think 300 is the bottom end for the movie domestically. Really positive reactions from my audiences to the trailers.

Reaction to the trailers may be tepid online, but the animated Aladdin film is also much more fondly remembered that The Jungle Book. Remakes from Disney's renaissance period are, by the default, going to do better than remakes of anything they put out before The Little Mermaid...at least for opening weekends.

I'm excited for this now. The new trailers have been great and I'm confident in Will Smith's ability to make Genie funny and lovable. :) 

I know it's a long shot but I hope they bring in this song from the Broadway musical. I love it so much. <3

On 4/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, sblfilms said:

This movie is about 130 minutes. Stop making family movies run past the 2 hour mark :angry:

This is fucking ridiculous 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, sblfilms said:

This movie is about 130 minutes. Stop making family movies run past the 2 hour mark :angry:

What’s weird is that they are remaking movies that are known for their economic storytelling. Just like with Beauty and the Beast, adding anything different to extend the runtime will have to really prove itself whether it’s needed because we’re already familiar with a version where it wasn’t necessary.

Lion King could bennefit from a longer runtime. It feels like too much happens with that 90 minutes that I could see a longer cut having more weight.

I agree that Lion King could really benefit from having a longer runtime. But Aladdin...I am not sure. I feel like everything extra will be songs and fluff. 

13 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

I agree that Lion King could really benefit from having a longer runtime. But Aladdin...I am not sure. I feel like everything extra will be songs and fluff. 

We will need at least an extra 15 minutes of Will Smith being Will Smith 

THey should have let Will Smith "Hamilton" the shit outta this story.  Turn all the songs to raps.  That could have been awesome.

The thing bugging me the most with what I’ve seen of Aladdin and Lion King is how flat the villains sounds. They don’t sound anywhere near as menacing as their animated counter parts. By comparison they sound bored. 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, sexy_shapiro said:

What’s weird is that they are remaking movies that are known for their economic storytelling. Just like with Beauty and the Beast, adding anything different to extend the runtime will have to really prove itself whether it’s needed because we’re already familiar with a version where it wasn’t necessary.

Lion King could bennefit from a longer runtime. It feels like too much happens with that 90 minutes that I could see a longer cut having more weight.

YES. Some things feel really rushed in that film. The ending confrontation feels rushed. Simba's carefree lifestyle feels rushed. I think the pacing is good until it exits the Pride Lands. All that build-up for Scar's ascent to king and then he just sits around for 30 minutes while the Pride Lands lose all their water for some reason.

I'm not a fan of these remakes that are part live action mostly CG of an animated film. I mean I was thinking it to me a like what if they remade Aladdin on the genesis and replaced the hand drawn sprite artwork with digitized graphics like in Mortal Kombat. It would be awful.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, Dragonseeker said:

Will Smith sounds bored as hell. I think Ejiofor doesn't sound menacing enough, but I think I could buy into his voice as I get used to it. 

Ejiofor isn't in this.