Aladdin (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread

I was filling out my guesses for a summer movie box office wager, and I really don't know where to put Aladdin. I suspect that this won't be the smash $500M hit that Beauty and the Beast was, but I doubt it'll be the $100M flop that Dumbo was either. I feel like, based on the property alone that it should do better than the Jungle Book did at $364M, but I also think the response to the trailers has been tepid. I think I settled on it making something between $200-$300M, but I feel like I could be way off in either direction.

Reaction to the trailers may be tepid online, but the animated Aladdin film is also much more fondly remembered that The Jungle Book. Remakes from Disney's renaissance period are, by the default, going to do better than remakes of anything they put out before The Little Mermaid...at least for opening weekends.

I'm excited for this now. The new trailers have been great and I'm confident in Will Smith's ability to make Genie funny and lovable. :) 

I know it's a long shot but I hope they bring in this song from the Broadway musical. I love it so much. <3

On 4/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, sblfilms said:

This movie is about 130 minutes. Stop making family movies run past the 2 hour mark :angry:

What’s weird is that they are remaking movies that are known for their economic storytelling. Just like with Beauty and the Beast, adding anything different to extend the runtime will have to really prove itself whether it’s needed because we’re already familiar with a version where it wasn’t necessary.

Lion King could bennefit from a longer runtime. It feels like too much happens with that 90 minutes that I could see a longer cut having more weight.

13 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

I agree that Lion King could really benefit from having a longer runtime. But Aladdin...I am not sure. I feel like everything extra will be songs and fluff. 

We will need at least an extra 15 minutes of Will Smith being Will Smith 

On 5/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, sexy_shapiro said:

What’s weird is that they are remaking movies that are known for their economic storytelling. Just like with Beauty and the Beast, adding anything different to extend the runtime will have to really prove itself whether it’s needed because we’re already familiar with a version where it wasn’t necessary.

Lion King could bennefit from a longer runtime. It feels like too much happens with that 90 minutes that I could see a longer cut having more weight.

YES. Some things feel really rushed in that film. The ending confrontation feels rushed. Simba's carefree lifestyle feels rushed. I think the pacing is good until it exits the Pride Lands. All that build-up for Scar's ascent to king and then he just sits around for 30 minutes while the Pride Lands lose all their water for some reason.

I'm not a fan of these remakes that are part live action mostly CG of an animated film. I mean I was thinking it to me a like what if they remade Aladdin on the genesis and replaced the hand drawn sprite artwork with digitized graphics like in Mortal Kombat. It would be awful.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, Dragonseeker said:

Will Smith sounds bored as hell. I think Ejiofor doesn't sound menacing enough, but I think I could buy into his voice as I get used to it. 

Ejiofor isn't in this. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Well, it was tracking for 80m over the 4 day and ended up at 117m, so it’s off to a good start.

I'm not sure what its CinemaScore is, but while critics seems to be 50/50 on whether this is a good movie or not (I haven't seen it yet myself), the RottenTomatoes audience score sits at 94% with 18,000+ "verified" votes (it's still high when counting "all" votes as well) and it has a 7.4 on IMDb after 28,000 votes. Regular audiences really seem to be liking it even if critics are much more lukewarm. People really didn't like Dumbo, so clearly they think this movie is better than that one at least (in terms of inherently liking these live action Disney remakes because it's Disney). 

I liked it, though not as much as the original animated.  I thought the leads were pretty good and had a solid chemistry going on.  Will Smith was better than I thought he would be once I got past the fact that the genie isn't Robin Williams (though my expectations were low going in).  Nasim Pedrad is awesome as Jasmine's friend/handmaid.

It seems like people are complaining about Jasmine's "female empowerment" being ham-fisted, but I wasn't bothered by it.  I do think the last act kind of stumbles a bit and doesn't have the payoff I wanted like in the animated.

56 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure what its CinemaScore is, but while critics seems to be 50/50 on whether this is a good movie or not (I haven't seen it yet myself), the RottenTomatoes audience score sits at 94% with 18,000+ "verified" votes (it's still high when counting "all" votes as well) and it has a 7.4 on IMDb after 28,000 votes. Regular audiences really seem to be liking it even if critics are much more lukewarm. People really didn't like Dumbo, so clearly they think this movie is better than that one at least (in terms of inherently liking these live action Disney remakes because it's Disney). 

My polling of my customers has the response as VERY positive. Not just that they liked it generally, but how well they liked it. Disney certainly got what audiences wanted out of this thing. Glad for Guy Ritchie to get a financial win after the King Arthur flop.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My polling of my customers has the response as VERY positive. Not just that they liked it generally, but how well they liked it. Disney certainly got what audiences wanted out of this thing. Glad for Guy Ritchie to get a financial win after the King Arthur flop.

Yeah, I want Ritchie to get a win, given his two most recent movies were both flops (as you said), The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (super underrated movie that deserved to do better) and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (which was awesome and badass and a lot of fun, but not without its problems). Hopefully this gives Ritchie enough cache to make whatever he wants to make going forward. 

Also nice to see a film with an almost exclusively all Middle Eastern/brown cast do well in Trump's America, even if it is couched in the original film's orientalism othering done by Europeans (even though I like the original Aladdin a lot). I thought on that premise alone this thing would get review bombed by the alt-right but thankfully no.