Us (directed by Jordan Peele) at 100% on RT

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Down to 99%. Movie sucks, preorder cancelled. 

Did you read the leading quote on that review?

Us seems merely the sum of the first film's critical effluent and influent, wish-determining the new movie's monody of genre and monotony of tone in the name of a specious homogeneity

• Guillotine 1

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Did you read the leading quote on that review?

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Us seems merely the sum of the first film's critical effluent and influent, wish-determining the new movie's monody of genre and monotony of tone in the name of a specious homogeneity

That is the worst fucking sentence (?) I’ve read in my life.

23 hours ago, Amazatron said:

This same Nigel Andrews of Financial Times also gave Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse 1 out of 5 stars.

Let's see what he had to say about that movie...

Never did hyper-kinesis seem so much like standstill. So much rush. So little panache.

11 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I will never understand why movie fans would care so much about a contrarian review for an otherwise well-reviewed movie.

Because I am emotionally invested in the critical and commercial reception of mass media properties, get on my fucking level.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Because I am emotionally invested in the critical and commercial reception of mass media properties, get on my fucking level.

You get points for the callback. I do care about that stuff on some level but I also think the difference the difference between 99 percent and 100 is negliglbe.

But then again, I have also tried to convince my friends to watch Paddington 2 by telling them that it’s the best reviewed movie on Rotten Tomatoes. So I do acknowledge that there is  a certain allure over a movie that receives universal praise.

10 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Anybody watch this yet, audience reaction seems a bit mixed.

Hard to say if it's "mixed" yet - while it does have "only" an 81% compared to the "all" critics' score of 95%, that's only after 305 user ratings/reviews. On IMDb, after 5,800 user ratings, it has an excellent 7.6/10. We'll have to see how things play out, it could be a film that critics love that is more impenetrable than expected for general audiences. I'm all in if that's the only problem. 

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Anybody watch this yet, audience reaction seems a bit mixed.

just saw it. was just okay IMO. Some very cool/creepy parts but overall perhaps a bit disappointing. 

I will say 

Spoiler

the end 'twist' was so telegraphed that the only way you couldn't have figured it out right from the start is if you were late to the movie and missed the first 10 minutes.  

9 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

just saw it. was just okay IMO. Some very cool/creepy parts but overall perhaps a bit disappointing. 

I will say 

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't really pick up on it. I was genuinely surprised at the twist, still was a pretty meh twist.

This is Jordan Peele's The Happening. Really NOT a good movie, not at all. It has a few moments, but the sheer stupidity of it all and completely telegraphed ending bring it all down to a one or two star movie at best. 

What's worse is by the end, you simply don't care about the characters... or which characters you're even supposed to care about.