Jump to content

BO Report: Captain Marvel delivered marvelous $153 mil opening ($455 mil worldwide)


Recommended Posts

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4493&p=.htm&fbclid=IwAR2V9xm2H71zrXwu6xuexVGQwrqlv950mmh_RBX-jADkZYIai1SDq6SuUzk

 

Quote

Disney's release of Marvel Studios's Captain Marvel gave the domestic box office a much needed jolt after the first two months of the year struggled to compete with 2018. The twenty-first entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe delivered the franchise's seventh largest opening weekend of all time while grossing more over its first three days than the combined totals of any previous three-day weekend so far this year.

 

With an estimated $153 million, Captain Marvel proved a massive success, bringing in the third highest March opening of all-time, and don't be surprised to see actuals push the film's total a bit higher come Monday afternoon. Historically, the performance ranks among openings that include The Dark Knight ($158.4m opening), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($158m opening), Rogue One ($155m opening) and The Hunger Games ($152.5m opening), the four of which representing a total domestic gross ranging from $408-530+ million.

 

On average, the 20 previous releases in the MCU delivered a 2.76x multiplier, which would suggest Captain Marvel's run would finish around $422 million based on the film's domestic opening weekend. That said, should it manage to top Iron Man 3's $409 million domestic run it would rank as the fifth largest film in the MCU and, in terms of genre competition, it has a few weeks all to itself before WB's Shazam! opens on April 5.

 

It is interesting to note exits, which show the film playing to an opening weekend crowd that was 55% male and 45% female, which, along with Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp, is the smallest gender divide among films in the MCU, but nowhere near the 52% female crowd Wonder Woman played to back in June 2017. Additionally, 64% of the film's opening weekend crowd was aged 25 or older, which ranks as one of the older audiences for an MCU film, while it earned an "A" CinemaScore.

 

Weekend chart: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2019&wknd=10&p=.htm

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I told a guy at work who didn't know who Brie Larson was that after this weekend she will be the most known person to ever be known. Looks like my prediction came true!

Before she was famous for her Oscar for best actress in the Room. Now she is famous to all being in a marvel movie.

 

I also enjoyed the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually saw the whole foot thing and a picture. And yeah, they're not very attractive, but.... I mean, many people have really bad feet, including attractive people, so whatever. :p 

 

I didn't know a lot of this was being pushed by the incel/anti-woman dumbasses.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also...I don't think that ugly feet would ever stop a person from wanting to date Brie Larson. To use that as some sort of deal-breaker is hilarious. I mean, unless you have a foot-fetish, I guess.

It's the 2019 version of "pointy elbows". :p 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also...I don't think that ugly feet would ever stop a person from wanting to date Brie Larson. To use that as some sort of deal-breaker is hilarious. I mean, unless you have a foot-fetish, I guess.

 

Idris Elba would like to have a word with you as Winslet talks about needing to keep her socks on during a scene with him.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also...I don't think that ugly feet would ever stop a person from wanting to date Brie Larson. To use that as some sort of deal-breaker is hilarious. I mean, unless you have a foot-fetish, I guess.

Of course not. It is why they invented closed toe shoes. Plus she can wear socks at home. Problem solved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Imagine the box office returns if she smiled more, had better feet, ran like a normal human being, and did a squat once in a blue moon.

 

She does run funny in the movie. Shoulda stunt doubled after the first time they saw her run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

She does run funny in the movie. Shoulda stunt doubled after the first time they saw her run.

 

Yeah I read about this in the thread before watching the movie, not gonna lie, I was kinda distracted every time she ran.  So thanks for that, lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's worth remembering that as little as a month ago, tracking estimates were closer to $100M than the $153 she got. Even for the MCU, that's a big opener. BOM says the MCU averages a 2.76x multiplier, which would put Captain Marvel at $422M domestic. Rogue One opened very similarly and got to $532, so I'll say that $500M is doable, but unlikely. $400M+ domestic, over $1B WW would be the best non-Panther opening in the MCU and likely end up 5-6th domestically and world wide.

 

Not that it needed any boost, but I think a very strong opening here bodes well for Endgame. It has quite the act to follow, but I imagine it'll do pretty well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I actually saw the whole foot thing and a picture. And yeah, they're not very attractive, but.... I mean, many people have really bad feet, including attractive people, so whatever. :p 

 

I didn't know a lot of this was being pushed by the incel/anti-woman dumbasses.

 

I dated a girl in college who was fucking gorgeous but I kid you not, the first couple of times we slept together she would not take her socks off. It was so weird and funny... she was a former track runner and had a beautiful body and would be laying in my bed with nothing on but these black socks. I asked her why she didn't want to take them off and she initially lied and told me she burned them when she was a kid. Later on as she got more comfortable she took them off and there was nothing wrong with her feet. She came clean and said she was always self conscious about her feet and was shy about showing them... so crazy the pressures that women, even beautiful ones have placed on them.

 

Back on topic... I didn't notice anything about Brie Larson running funny in the movie when I saw it. It couldn't have been any worse than this:

 

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

 

Back on topic... I didn't notice anything about Brie Larson running funny in the movie when I saw it. It couldn't have been any worse than this:

 

giphy.gif

 

Actually, that is surprisingly similar to her running in Captain Marvel :lol:

 

At least Larson has the excuse of running in a thick and uncomfortable suit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I dated a girl in college who was fucking gorgeous but I kid you not, the first couple of times we slept together she would not take her socks off. It was so weird and funny... she was a former track runner and had a beautiful body and would be laying in my bed with nothing on but these black socks. I asked her why she didn't want to take them off and she initially lied and told me she burned them when she was a kid. Later on as she got more comfortable she took them off and there was nothing wrong with her feet. She came clean and said she was always self conscious about her feet and was shy about showing them... so crazy the pressures that women, even beautiful ones have placed on them.

 

Thought the story was going to take a turn like you were dating Kate's Playground chick who had a hoof.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...