Ethiopian Airlines flight bound for Nairobi crashes, all 157 on board killed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/ethiopian-airlines-flight-bound-for-nairobi-crashes-with-157-on-board/2019/03/10/0be5826c-4310-11e9-90f0-0ccfeec87a61_story.html?utm_term=.fa221d1c41f4

Ethio­pian Airlines flight 302 bound for Nairobi crashed Sunday killing all 157 people on board, according to state media.

The state affiliated Fana Broadcasting cited the airline saying there were no survivors from the flight. According to the airline, the flight took off at 8:38 a.m. and lost contact six minutes later, crashing near the city of Bishoftu less than 40 miles to the southeast of Addis Ababa.

“It is believed that there were 149 passengers and eight crew onboard the flight but we are currently confirming the details of the passenger manifest for the flight,” the airline said in a statement.

The airline set up emergency hotline numbers for families and friends of victims and changed the cover image on its Facebook page to black.

I get so excited for trips that I can't imagine all the build-up and then the shock as the plane begins to lose altitude/control. :( 

I'm glad this doesn't happen in America (I think it's been decades since a plane has crashed), but it was disconcerting that these same Boeing planes are used in the US.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I get so excited for trips that I can't imagine all the build-up and then the shock as the plane begins to lose altitude/control. :( 

I'm glad this doesn't happen in America (I think it's been decades since a plane has crashed), but it was disconcerting that these same Boeing planes are used in the US.

wut 

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I did some research a few months back, because I hate flying, and the last domestic flight (scheduled take off and landing in US) to crash in the United States was in the 80s.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

wut 

Just now, osxmatt said:

I did some research a few months back, because I hate flying, and the last domestic flight (scheduled take off and landing in US) to crash in the United States was in the 80s.

There you go.

Also I did some reading about the crash in October, and it wasn't considered an issue with the plane, at least according to Boeing.

Apparently it has an automated system that corrects the nose down, if it detects the nose is too high at any time. Apparently the instruments were getting the wrong information (not sure how that isn't the fault of Boeing), indicating the nose was up, which it wasn't, and was corrected down. The pilots were unaware of how to turn off this automated system.

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Also I did some reading about the crash in October, and it wasn't considered an issue with the plan, at least according to Boeing.

Apparently it has an automated system that corrects the nose down, if it detects the nose is too high at any time. Apparently the instruments were getting the wrong information (not sure how that isn't the fault of Boeing), indicating the nose was up, which it wasn't, and was corrected down. The pilots were unaware of how to turn off this automated system.

Can they not just pull back on the sticks? If there is no manual stick override, then the plane is definitely not fit to fly.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can they not just pull back on the sticks? If there is no manual stick override, then the plane is definitely not fit to fly.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/africa/ethiopian-airlines-crash-boeing-max-8-intl/index.html

At the root of October's Lion Air crash was a new safety system installed in the MAX 8 plane, known as the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), that automatically pulls the plane's nose down if data suggests it is at risk. 
In that flight, the system was responding to faulty data that suggested the nose was tilted at a higher angle than it was, indicating the plane was at risk of stalling. 
The pilots subsequently engaged in a futile tug-of-war with the plane's automatic systems, trying to reverse a nosedive that should not be triggered so soon after takeoff. Boeing has argued that pilots should have identified the system was in operation, and turned it off.
"All pilots should have been trained on that function after Lion Air," Schiavo added. "Boeing did something very unusual for any manufacturer -- it sent out an emergency bulletin and told all airlines to make sure they trained the pilots in the shut-off procedure."
"This is one of the things that should never be happening after takeoff," Schiavo said.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

You guys dont count the Rockaway crash or the Colgan Air crash? Either way it's a ridiculous safety record.

Ok the original list I was looking at sucks because I didn't see the Colgan Air crash. Looked in to that. Definitely "counts."

I don't count Rockaway, at least under the parameters I had established, because it was scheduled for arrival in Dominican Republican. I was previously talking about take off and landings scheduled in the US.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Ok the original list I was looking at sucks because I didn't see the Colgan Air crash. Looked in to that. Definitely "counts."

I don't count Rockaway, at least under the parameters I had established, because it was scheduled for arrival in Dominican Republican. I was previously talking about take off and landings scheduled in the US.

That REALLY seems like cherry picking. The airline was American Airlines and it crashed in Queens right after takeoff.

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

That REALLY seems like cherry picking. The airline was American Airlines and it crashed in Queens right after takeoff.

Oh no doubt. I have to fly a lot domestically for work, and it's how I convince myself of airline safety. That large carriers, with flights taking off and landing in the continental US, rarely crash.

9 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Surprised no one mentioned the miracle on the hudson because that's what I was originally thinking of when @SaysWho? saying that he thought it had been decades since a plane crashed in the US. 

That was a wonderful story.

But that's not a crash. That's a badass landing. :p 

• Haha 1