(Real) antisemitism rising in Europe

There is a big racism \ antisemitism problem in Poland.  I teach advanced English in some companies here, and last week one of the lessons called for a debate on overseas aid to Africa.  One student, a guy in his late 20s with a good job, said it was a waste of money sending aid to Africa, because Africans are lazy.  I put him on the spot by saying Elon Musk was born in Africa, and he isn't lazy. 

The student's response....   'I don't mean people like that, I mean black people'.

Several other students around the table nodded in agreement, I was really shocked.  That comment would never fly in an office environment in the UK, here it was just accepted without question.

19 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

There is a big racism \ antisemitism problem in Poland.  I teach advanced English in some companies here, and last week one of the lessons called for a debate on overseas aid to Africa.  One student, a guy in his late 20s with a good job, said it was a waste of money sending aid to Africa, because Africans are lazy.  I put him on the spot by saying Elon Musk was born in Africa, and he isn't lazy. 

The student's response....   'I don't mean people like that, I mean black people'.

Several other students around the table nodded in agreement, I was really shocked.  That comment would never fly in an office environment in the UK, here it was just accepted without question.

Isn't it interesting how "they're lazy" is the attack always used on people regardless of who is doing it?

6 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

Dont people in Britain like the call out Polish migrants for being lazy?

17 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Dont people in Britain like the call out Polish migrants for being lazy?

That's the stereotype here in Germany, too, is that Poles are lazy and incompetent. Everyone needs someone to shit on, I guess. :silly:

7 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

Anyone else think Everyman would have enjoyed being a student in this class? :p

22 hours ago, Nokra said:

That's the stereotype here in Germany, too, is that Poles are lazy and incompetent. Everyone needs someone to shit on, I guess. :silly:

Polaks have been a go to group to shit on for a long while. I’ve never been to Europe, but I grew up hearing Polak jokes. It was so bad when I was a kid my dad told me I am a quarter polish, and I got offended. Lol