After Life - The new show from Ricky Gervais (Netflix)

Did anyone else watch this? I watched all of the episodes in one sitting tonight (there are only 6 episodes of 30 minutes each) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is not particularly original, and the conclusions that the show reaches over the course of the six episodes are likewise not particularly original or surprising, but the show has quite a bit of heart. There are some very emotional moments (both dark and light), great music, great acting, and of course tons of laughs. 

What did you all think? 

This was a wonderful show and hit me pretty hard in the feelings. I lost my dad 3 years ago and the way he described the loss of a loved one was too damn accurate. Also I liked his perspective on health treatments and how we view one thing to another. Like a 97 year old woman getting a face scar for the rest of her life, but she has already lived 97 scar free years. The difference between putting a dog down easily for an illness, but unethical to do the same for a human. The last episode was a little weak but doesn’t take away the fact that this was one hell of a show.

• Like 1

I'm re-watching this and I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

After Life S1E4 spoiler

Why does he give Julian (the heroin junkie) the money for the drugs, knowing full well that he was going to attempt to kill himself with it? I don't quite understand his motivation for doing this. Even as a depressed person he must know that he is enabling someone else's suicide, and given his otherwise kind nature I have a hard time understanding why he would do this.

I only got through the first episode as generally I only watch stuff with my wife and she couldn’t handle it emotionally, but I’ll be watching the rest soon.

6 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm re-watching this and I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

After Life S1E4 spoiler

Hide contents

Why does he give Julian (the heroin junkie) the money for the drugs, knowing full well that he was going to attempt to kill himself with it? I don't quite understand his motivation for doing this. Even as a depressed person he must know that he is enabling someone else's suicide, and given his otherwise kind nature I have a hard time understanding why he would do this.

Here is my take for that

It goes back to his first talk with his dad’s caretaker. How it was ok to put down a dog who was suffering in pain/sick/dying,  but not ok to offer the same treatment for a human, like the empty shell his father had become. It wasn’t just painful for that person, but painful for the people who have to witness them slowly die/disappear before their eyes. His conversation with Julian was about his heart being broken since he lost his love. It was killing him to keep living without her. He had no one else and needed the drugs just to be numb to everything. His thought was that if he were dead, it would kill the pain he was in and  he could be with her once again. He knows that pain and very close to being in that pain, but he has that tick that keeps him alive. As much as he hates to admit it, he has loved ones and people that need him.