Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort sentenced to 47 months in prison

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Fuck Ellis. 

This is NOT what I anticipated. 

6 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Seems almost like a sentence designed to spook him into cooperating. 

I would lean more on the "fuck Ellis" side of things.

This is the judge that caused the right wing to cum for a news cycle or two when he basically said to prosecutors, "The only reason you're coming after Manafort is because you want Trump.". And even if you were inclined(as some reasonable people were) to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is just a no nonsense, plain spoken judge also went on to say such prejudicial things during the actual trial that he had to come back and apologize for it.

This sentence seems really low, but I am open to further explanation on why Ellis might have done this.

I hear places like SDNY were loading, but not cocking, charges against Manafort in case of a pardon. Might be time to do it regardless.

Though, as others have said, I think Jackson is more likely to go hard on him(and perhap even more so now).

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean 4 years is fine... But he'll be out in 1, right?

No parole in federal prison. I believe the best you can do is get about 50 days knocked off per year. 

Fun fact that I found out in the context of this case. That is why sometimes you will hear a judge give someone "a year and a day". Anything less than a year and you can't get any time knocked off. If you get over a year, then you can. So a year and a day is potentially more merciful than, say, 11 months.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Maybe manafort got a appropriate sentence for his crimes and everyone else is getting fucked raw by the big dick of the law

Could be a bit of both columns. Like the crack/cocaine distinction: IIRC, it was crack that got a higher sentence for people, right? And that's the one that minorities used at a greater frequency? The penalty was higher than the other, but in reality, both should have carried a smaller sentence.