The Handmaid's Tale

Anybody been watching this?

I just finished today's episode and can't stop thinking about it. This show has really grabbed me and I'm obsessed!

Season 1 was just okay. I almost didn't bother with season 2 because the first was "meh", but I was curious to see what the show does without going by the source material. I'm glad I did. This season far surpasses the first and the writing is superb.

Anyone else been watching this? Season finale next week!

14 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I read the book and it was good. Still need to watch the show one of these days. 

If you liked the book you'll probably like the first season. I haven't read the book but I've heard the first season is very true to it. 

9 hours ago, johnny said:

I thought season 1 besides the Canada stuff was amazing 

Why didn't you like the Canada parts? They were few and far between and were compelling/relevant parts of the story. 

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Same.

Season 2 has also been excellent so far, if spinning its wheels too much. Everyone should be watching this show. 

It is spinning its wheels at times but it's sort of necessary for a show like this (right now anyway). I caved and read the finale summary and some things finally happen that personally I find satisfying and progresses the story quite a bit. Sets up an interesting scenario and new ground for season 3. I feel like the wait will be torture though!

Yesterday's episode was crazy. Eden's character/storyline has been so well done too. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

He just showed up in the second to last episode of this season for the first time. So, for now, he's not in it much but he's clearly gonna be a major recurring character I think. 

He's one of my favorite actors, so I might have to start watching. 

On 7/4/2018 at 11:25 PM, Minnesota Fatz said:

Season 1 was just okay. I almost didn't bother with season 2 because the first was "meh", but I was curious to see what the show does without going by the source material. I'm glad I did. This season far surpasses the first and the writing is superb.

Apparently the original book author has been heavily involved in both seasons, helped craft the story to the second season, and is going to write a proper book sequel.

I've been loving it, although it's easily the most terrifying TV show I've ever watched. Maybe because it hits a bit too close to home.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Apparently the original book author has been heavily involved in both seasons, helped craft the story to the second season, and is going to write a proper book sequel.

I've been loving it, although it's easily the most terrifying TV show I've ever watched. Maybe because it hits a bit too close to home.

Oh cool I didn't know she contributed to the story of season 2! That makes the show even better now imo with that extra touch of authenticity. 

How does it hit close to home?

15 minutes ago, Minnesota Fatz said:

Oh cool I didn't know she contributed to the story of season 2! That makes the show even better now imo with that extra touch of authenticity. 

How does it hit close to home?

Agreed :) 

I think the treatment of women it shows would be adopted by a non-negligible minority of our own country if they could get away with it; it is not far off from how women are treated in other cultures; and wasn't that far off from mankind historically.

In short, the culture in their society is completely monstrous, but also a believable possibility within the scope of human nature.