Are there any modern games that draw from Goldeneye 007's SP?

crispy4000

I'm nearing the end of Titanfall 2, which is great.  The linear/directed FPS-design has its positives, and as someone who only plays shooters occasionally, I'm glad this was one I went with.

But I'm also kind of missing what made Goldeneye's campaign so special for the time.

1) Mission objectives - A checklist of tasks you must do to finish a level.  Sometimes linear in focus, but often times not.  You have to explore a semi-open level to figure out what fulfilling those objectives actually entails.  'Get in, get out' is a routine set up.
2) Objectives that scale with difficulty - Harder difficulties scale up the size of a level and the number of objectives.  IMO, it makes escapes more daring and less forced feeling than scripted sequences.
3) Stealthy, but not too stealthy - Strikes a good balance between both.  Being cautious is typically rewarded, and fits your character, but doesn't come expense of feeling like a badass with guns blazing.

I haven't heard much about shooters trying this in recent years.  Are there any open world ones that come close to that model?  Or is the genre too stuck in its idea of 'modernity' to explore alternative designs? 

I'm already frustrated enough that MP4 was rebooted, since no one else is even remotely making that type of FPS today.

The closest thing I can think of to what you're describing is Hitman, and that's not even a shooter.

I'm curious if modern day developers (i.e. "the youngin's") even know how to design complicated levels anymore. It seems like Battle Royale and open world games just give them a license to slap a bunch of shit on a map and call it a day. 

Can't think of any exactly like GE, but that's probably because of the way games have evolved.  Nothing has a mission select screen anymore, especially any game with continuous story.  Games with a linear story are focused on keeping the player in that world as much as possible, so we're not going back to a screen to replay levels on different difficulties since we can change difficulties on the fly.  Mission Objectives have turned into sidequests; Deus Ex and Tomb Raider have several smaller "open" worlds where the more you explore the more story and side quests you can uncover.  And I guess those two games also fit the stealthy criteria.

30 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Can't think of any exactly like GE, but that's probably because of the way games have evolved.  Nothing has a mission select screen anymore, especially any game with continuous story.  Games with a linear story are focused on keeping the player in that world as much as possible, so we're not going back to a screen to replay levels on different difficulties since we can change difficulties on the fly.  Mission Objectives have turned into sidequests; Deus Ex and Tomb Raider have several smaller "open" worlds where the more you explore the more story and side quests you can uncover.  And I guess those two games also fit the stealthy criteria.

I wouldn't say that games today don't have mission select screens.  Titanfall 2, which I brought up earlier, has a chapter select.  It also lets you pick the difficulty, although that nothing changes about the tasks within the level itself.

Goldeneye's conception of mission objectives is more integral than sidequests.  You have to figure out how to accomplish tasks A, B, C, D, etc in the most ideal order before you make a mad dash out of there.  Deus Ex and Tomb Raider don't really give me that vibe at all.

I do need to give Hitman a try.  That honestly sounds like the closest thing, although without as much emphasis on shooting.

I haven't played Titanfall 2 yet, I'm just saying since the focus is now keeping players in the world games will use a hub of some kind to do that, and story beats are now locked behind sidequests.  Perfect Dark modeled GE's structure exactly, and as I recall the higher difficulties also expanded on the story quite significantly, and I think in modern games there's a push to make the story as accessible as possible so devs are not going to lock them behind a straight difficulty level.  We're going to get something like the Dishonored structure instead, where we're given optional tasks that could expand the game's environment.  I would definitely like to see something like GE and PD make a return, although I would not ramp up the AI difficulty with the increase in objectives.  Keep those separate.