Any XboneX deals?

Spork3245

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s just... getting a TV now instead of waiting for VRR would be like getting a 1080p TV in mid-2015, just 6-8 months later 4k was everywhere and cheap.

VRR is a HUGE deal and a game changer for gaming.

I'm just impatient. I would buy a TV and sell it later and upgrade when there's a new one out. Once LG makes a VRR OLED definitely gonna buy one.

4 hours ago, The def star said:

Well it looks like HDR10+ is getting closer to being a thing.

https://engt.co/2yuqGUa

My concern is that one format “wins” over the other, not so much which is better. Like, for instance, if I go with an HDR-only TV and Dolby Vision “wins”, HDR will lose support and I’d be screwed on future media/content.

The benefit of HDR seems to be, much like Freesync, that it’s software based. Whereas Dolby Vision, like GSync, is hardware based. Meaning that as long as TVs meet the spec-requirements, they can be updated to newer HDR versions via firmware/software updates, Dolby Vision requires a physical chip.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

My concern is that one format “wins” over the other, not so much which is better. Like, for instance, if I go with an HDR-only TV and Dolby Vision “wins”, HDR will lose support and I’d be screwed on future media/content.

The benefit of HDR seems to be, much like Freesync, that it’s software based. Whereas Dolby Vision, like GSync, is hardware based. Meaning that as long as TVs meet the spec-requirements, they can be updated to newer HDR versions via firmware/software updates, Dolby Vision requires a physical chip.

DV doesn't require a specific physical chip. The TV just has to have enough processing power to be able do it. That was the difference between the Sony X900E and the X900F. The X900F had the more powerful processor to be able to get DV support via firmware (X1 vs X1 extreme). I can't imagine the new QLEDs not being able to do DV because they lack processing power. I'm pretty sure it's just cuz Samsung doesn't want to pay up to Dolby :p Either way I understand that you just want to future proof your investment. Just thought I bring up more info on HDR10+. The positive thing about HDR10 is that even if DV is the winning format all DV mastered movies will play in HDR10. All movies have to have at least HDR10 support as it's the baseline requirement when mastered in DV.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

DV doesn't require a specific physical chip.

"Dolby Vision equipment has dedicated chips inside "

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/dolby/139947-what-is-dolby-vision-dolby-s-very-own-hdr-tv-tech-explained

DV was a hardware based solution, HDR is software based. However, it looks as though now it can use some type of software rendering through emulation...?

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Incorrect.

"Dolby Vision equipment has dedicated chips inside "

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/dolby/139947-what-is-dolby-vision-dolby-s-very-own-hdr-tv-tech-explained

DV is hardware based, HDR is software based.

It literally says in the next sentence that it can also be done via software :p

"Dolby Vision equipment has dedicated chips inside which read the metadata and reproduce the images exactly how they were made. Well, that was the original position that Dolby outlined, although it now appears to be supporting software solutions too. It appears that some devices will be updated via software and the new smartphone support is an entirely software-based implementation."

Its why Sony was able to update their latest line of TVs to Dolby Vision when they originally didn't intend to support it. TVs just need to have processing power to do it. Well that and TV manufactures need to cough up the licensing fees.

48 minutes ago, The def star said:

It literally says in the next sentence that it can also be done via software :p

"Dolby Vision equipment has dedicated chips inside which read the metadata and reproduce the images exactly how they were made. Well, that was the original position that Dolby outlined, although it now appears to be supporting software solutions too. It appears that some devices will be updated via software and the new smartphone support is an entirely software-based implementation."

Its why Sony was able to update their latest line of TVs to Dolby Vision when they originally didn't intend to support it. TVs just need to have processing power to do it. Well that and TV manufactures need to cough up the licensing fees.

I edited well before your reply, like literally a second after I posted. :p 

They’re using hardware emulation via software.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I edited well before your reply, like literally a second after I posted. :p 

They’re using hardware emulation via software.

Ha ha well it's a good thing it can be done via software. It's just up to the few TV manufactures whether they want to update their TV's with DV. But honestly this battle is gonna keep on going for a while. HDR10+ is said to be comparable to DV with out the fee. I see this as being a Dolby Digital vs DTS thing. It's up preference and budget I suppose. But it doesn't hurt having a TV that does both. I just don't know what the timeline for other TV manufacturers to implement VRR like Samsung has done. If I had to choose between my Sony X900F that does both HDR10 and DV but no VRR over the Samsung that does VRR and HDR10 but no DV I would go with the Sammy. I play more games than I watch movies and currently no games use DV for their HDR implementation. I got my Sony 75" X900F for $2300 where as the Q9FN would be $6k. So I went with the Sony :p But playing Xbox and knowing it supports freesync makes me wish the Q9FN was so expensive lol.

2 hours ago, The def star said:

Ha ha well it's a good thing it can be done via software. It's just up to the few TV manufactures whether they want to update their TV's with DV. But honestly this battle is gonna keep on going for a while. HDR10+ is said to be comparable to DV with out the fee. I see this as being a Dolby Digital vs DTS thing. It's up preference and budget I suppose. But it doesn't hurt having a TV that does both. I just don't know what the timeline for other TV manufacturers to implement VRR like Samsung has done. If I had to choose between my Sony X900F that does both HDR10 and DV but no VRR over the Samsung that does VRR and HDR10 but no DV I would go with the Sammy. I play more games than I watch movies and currently no games use DV for their HDR implementation. I got my Sony 75" X900F for $2300 where as the Q9FN would be $6k. So I went with the Sony :p But playing Xbox and knowing it supports freesync makes me wish the Q9FN was so expensive lol.

The timeline for VRR should be 2019 models as HDMI 2.1 was finalized a month or two back. :sun: