Won't shut down, won't sleep.

This is not a issue that happens often, but sometimes my PC just won't go to sleep and some other times I have to shut it down by holding down the power button as going thru start won't do it. The PC does try to go into sleep mode and will attempt to shut down, but the login screen pops right back up. And I have not had both issues happen at the same time. When it won't sleep, it has always shut down just fine, as in I don't need to turn it off with the power button. 

What could be the issue here? 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/computer-will-not-shut-down/04ebfc64-6dc0-449d-b0e6-d31c5d41556f

Method 1

Try to do System Restore on the computer which will restore back the previous settings.

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.  
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

3. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.

4. Click Finish.

Note: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

Method 2

I suggest you to boot the computer in safe mode and check if you have similar issue, safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed, follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode with networking:

i. Restart the computer

ii. Start tapping F8 key

iii. You will get advanced boot option window

iv. Select the option “Safe mode”

Method 3

Perform clean boot and check if you have similar issue. Clean boot will start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

The following link has steps showing how to perform clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

1)      Perform clean boot (Check the link for Performing clean boot)

2)      Enable half of the services

3)      Determine whether the problem returns

4)      Enable half of the startup items

5)      Determine whether the problem returns

6)      Repeat the above steps until you find out which service or program is causing the issue

Maybe this would help?