Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 4 months later...

Experience the most complete Trine ever created! Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince arrives this fall. Pre-order now: http://bit.ly/2Ex5tdl

The Trine series returns to the magic of 2.5D with Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince! The three heroes of the best-selling adventure series are back, sent on a quest to retrieve the troubled young Prince Selius. Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight, and Zoya the Thief are joined together once again on a thrilling quest through fantastical fairytale landscapes teeming with danger.

T3 was a hot mess so glad to see it’s back to 2D

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I only played a little bit of 3, but it wasn't nearly as offensive as people made it out to be.

I disagree.  The game is very short and just abruptly ends with the story unfinished.  

“Back in late 2012, we set out to do Trine 3 in full 3D—bigger, badder, better. We took a big risk with the 3D gameplay implementation—it was to be a massive improvement over the previous games in several areas. We have always been ambitious and this time our ambition may have gotten the better of us.”

“Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power has ended up costing nearly triple that of Trine 2—over 5.4 million USD. We have squeezed everything we could into the game, there’s nothing left on the table. We initially had a much longer story written and more levels planned, but to create what we envisioned, it would have taken at least triple the money, probably up to 15 million USD, which we didn’t realize until too late, and which we didn’t have.” 

“So we did not intentionally make the game ‘short’ as many have said in order to make money off of future DLC or whatever. We tried to make something too ambitious, and it ended up financially impossible. What we sold on Early Access was the ‘realistic’ vision and what we promised is what we have delivered, in our opinion.”

Kotaku

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Sounds like I didn't play far enough then.  But I liked what I did.

The mechanics were solid and fun in 3D. I think Early Access money was not coming in fast enough to warrant completing the game so they just ended. 

• 1 month later...

Trine 4's Developers Want To Take The Series Back To What Worked (Kotaku)

At a recent hands-off demo for the game, two developers from Frozenbyte, the studio behind Trine, told Kotaku that the studio has abandoned the 3D journey it embarked on with Trine 3 and is instead returning to the series’ 2.5D origins. “We felt that was the way for us to make the most compelling Trine game—by defining skills, puzzles, combat, everything by the 2.5D side scrolling,” said the studio’s marketing manager, Kai Tuovinen. “It’s what the fans have been asking for, what we wanted as well and the way for us to make the most complete Trine.” This return to form also happens to coincide with the series’ 10th anniversary.

Trine 4 is meant to be a nightmare but it’s a co-op puzzling dream (PCGamesN)

The Trine series is at its best when capturing a sense of magic. It’s there when a huge creature of fantasy emerges in sparkling form to take up half the screen. And it’s there when you suddenly discover a smart solution to a puzzle that’s had you and a partner stuck for a whole ten minutes. What I’ve played of Trine 4 so far has me confident that it’ll continue that legacy.

Trine 4 seems to be on the right path (Destructoid)

Taking a four-year hiatus refreshed the team and allowed them to hone in on what Trine is all about. It was a bold move to shift Trine 3 into the third-dimension and while that game failed, the lessons gained seem to have put Trine 4 on the right path. Everything I saw looked like exactly what I remember about the series, having wonderful visuals and inventive physics-based puzzles. Trine 4 might not be reinventing the wheel, but it also isn't arbitrarily changing it.

Trine 4 Returns The Classic Co-Op Series To Its 2.5D Roots (ScreenRant)

The latest entry in the treasured co-op series eschews the 3D gameplay of its immediate predecessor and returns to the original, side-scrolling puzzle-platforming action that made the series a household name in the first place! The Trine games are revered for their mix of co-op action, platforming, and physics-based puzzle solving, all wrapped in a humorous story with entertaining characters.

Being in 3D wasn't Trine 3's biggest issue. It was incomplete, hence the tagline "The most complete Trine experience ever!" with this one. The fact that they'd backpedal without giving a 3D version of their game a REAL chance is terribly sad and disappointing.

Also the gameplay looks fucking IDENTICAL to every other Trine game. I need more than that! Expand and evolve your fucking gameplay! Jesus! I can only be the same exact Box Wizard for so many games before it just gets old, and it was getting old in Trine 2!

And it’s there when you suddenly discover a smart solution to a puzzle that’s had you and a partner stuck for a whole ten minutes.

What Trine is this dude playing? I don't think me or my co-op group ever got stuck a single time in any of the games. They're brain-dead easy most of the time. Besides the fact that the Box Wizard can just break most of the puzzles as-is.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

played about an hour or so last night and the game is just as pretty as ever.  they are definitely trying to make the story more interesting with actual cut scenes and what not.  The combat areas are certainly no pushover this time around like previous games and looks to be legit boss fights now.

Game Information

Game Title: Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Oct 8, 2019)
  • Xbox One (Oct 8, 2019)
  • PC (Oct 8, 2019)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 8, 2019)

Developer: Frozenbyte

Publisher: Modus Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 80 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

Video Chums - 9.1 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a masterclass in 2D puzzle platforming.

Cultured Vultures - 9 / 10

Trine 4 is a love letter to fans, providing a fully-realized puzzle game rife with experimentation, quality-of-life features, and utterly breathtaking visuals, all but guaranteeing a bright and beautiful future for the franchise.

Game Debate - 9 / 10

I didn't honestly think Trine 4 would enrapture me as much as it has, particularly when tackling the multiplayer. If you've played and enjoyed and title in the Trine franchise before, you're very likely to love this one,  so grab a few friends and enjoy.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

With Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince, Frozenbyte has returned the series to its origins by making dynamic puzzles the main attraction.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Trine 4 is a return to its origins. Contains a solid, fun and puzzle-packed campaign. The four player multiplayer is great. The downside comes from the bad combat mechanics and some bugs that may occur, mostly online.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

A wizard, a Thief, and a Knight walk into a Prince's Nightmare and the result is a dream game come true. The fourth installment of the Trine series has gone back to its 2.5D roots after going full-blown 3D in 2015's The Artifacts Of Power. The clever platform-puzzle adventure offers an enchanting experience for the single player or collaborate with up to four players in co-op which can be played locally or online. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is an unforgettable adventure that should not be missed.

Nexus - 8.9 / 10

If you’re looking for a charming, visually-spectacular, mechanically-satisfying platform-puzzler, that’s exponentially better with friends, Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince offers up tons of content at half the price of a typical big-budget release.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a wonderful, and most importantly, innovative puzzle game that is great to play either solo or with others.

Gameplanet - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4 re-establishes the series as a leader in the genre. I can't remember the last time I played a puzzle game that made me feel so smart and satsified. It's magical world is full of wonderful inhabitants

Gamerheadquarters - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a lovely experience featuring charming visuals and a light hearted approach to puzzle based platforming.

Gaming Nexus - 8.5 / 10

Whether you’re experienced with the series or if this is your first time, Trine 4 is a simple and relaxing puzzle-solving adventure that anyone can enjoy.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

A very pleasant adventure that you will enjoy specially in multiplayer. It recovers the right path from the previous game.

IGN - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4 is beautiful and perhaps a bit too straightforward for solo players, but it shines brilliantly in co-op.

Niche Gamer - 8.5 / 10

If you aren’t already a fan of the series, then Trine 4 probably won’t change your mind. If you love the series already like I do, then you’ll find a worthy new installment in the franchise that only occasionally stumbles in a few places here and there.

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5 / 10

After a decade of seeing the series recommended everywhere, Trine 4 is my first time playing the series, and it’s made me realize just what I’ve been missing all these years.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4 feels like a return to what made the series great to begin with. A beautiful world filled with challenging (but not too difficult) puzzles to solve, combined with drop-in/drop-out co-op, makes for a great game to play with friends. Some puzzles were perhaps not fully tested, but a simple reset usually rights things again. If you were a fan of the gameplay in the 2.5D Trine games, you'll find a lot to love here.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Good old heroes are back with new funny story and they are in fine condition again.

Wccftech - 8.5 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is an enchanting new highwater mark for developer Frozenbyte, featuring the series' best controls, visuals, puzzles, and bosses to date. Regular combat still feels a bit tacked on, but overall, Trine 4 remains a puzzle platforming dream.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a great puzzle-adventure game with impressive art style. The last Frozenbyte 's work has good gameplay for veterans as well as novices.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Trine returns as bright as it once was, with its puzzles, platforms, enemies, and heroes ready to do anything to bring home the lost Prince. Despite some problems, this fourth chapter manages to deliver a good experience in co-op without too much difficulty, or a more interesting challenge for solitary players.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is perhaps the best episode of the series thanks to a mature and tested gameplay, delightful graphics and a longevity exceeding expectations.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8 / 10

Frozenbyte returns with a fourth installment of its saga of puzzles and platforms that shows that the study still knows how to create smart gameplay riddles. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a reconciliation between the franchise and its fans, an ode to their first two games that polishes and further refines what they presented to the world when they went on sale.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

In returning to form with this sequel, Frozenbyte has doubled down on what made the franchise great prior to the mishap that was the third entry.

BaziCenter - Persian - 8 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is an appealing platformer, offering beautiful art design, challenging puzzles and great boss fights, and It is safe to say that Trine 4 takes the series back its roots.

DualShockers - 8 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a multi-console fun puzzle platformer that brings the series back to its roots.

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

Whether you’re alone, with friends, or living in a box, Trine 4 is an old school co-op adventure worth taking.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

The puzzles and banter are as good as they've ever been, though Trine 4 has a hard time overcoming some dodgy combat mechanics.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

With this new title, Frozenbyte has chosen to leave aside the semi-disappointing 3D experimentation of the previous part to focus on the 2.5D action / reflection formula that made its success. We find what makes the series so charming, with its enchanting universe, its trio of heroes with complementary capabilities and the opportunity to live this adventure up to four, locally or online. If the regulars of the series will grumble perhaps a little considering the few important innovations proposed by this new episode, Trine 4 remains an independent game very pleasant by his concept, his aspect, his lightness.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

It may not spin the most memorable yarn and have the odd bug, but Trine 4 is an excellent co-op game that understands that the best puzzle solutions and the ones you make yourself, and the best co-op modes are the ones that build themselves around the options having more players brings to the table.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

With Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince, fans will rejoice at what is, in every way that matters, a return to form for Frozenbyte's fantasy adventure.

Handsome Phantom - 8 / 10

Trine 4’s varied and accessible approach to puzzle solving help it to stand out as a somewhat memorable and amusing experience. A charming world with an endearing cast of characters ensure that this lighthearted adventure remains enjoyable and never too trying. While there are some tedious combat sequences and balancing issues with your three characters, these never get in the way of what Trine 4 has to offer. At a budget price, Trine 4 is as easy to recommend as it is to pick up and play.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

The Trine series is one of those that always offers an enchanting, beautiful 2.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

A good return that fulfills what it promises, although it lacks some more strength in history and some difficulty that makes it more striking for a single player.

Leadergamer - Turkish - 4 / 5 stars

We got our fill with with magnificent landscapes and mind-filled puzzles.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

A welcome return to form for the series, and while the co-op puzzle-solving no longer seems quite as original as it once did it's never been as enjoyable or varied as this.

Nintendo Life - 8 / 10

From start to finish, Trine 4 is a remarkably absorbing and beautiful experience that’ll keep you challenged and interested right through to the finish, while also offering a fair bit to keep you coming back for a couple hours after the credits roll.

Nintendo Times - 8 / 10

GREAT - Trine 4 offers up fun and engaging gameplay for up to four players simultaneously. The game is more fun when played with friends, so be sure to invite some over and spend a few nights going through the various worlds, which are beautiful to behold!

Push Square - 8 / 10

Combat feels stiff and imprecise, but that feels like a mild quibble about such a consistently pleasing experience.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a fantastic adventure top to bottom. There’s collectibles to find, a prince to save, and a lot of puzzles to solve. While combat is the biggest damper, it does break up the puzzle-solving enough to warrant its own existence. This has been the case for the combat in every entry so far, but it’s always been the weakest element. If you can get past that, you’ll find a really great game that surpasses all of Frozenbyte’s games before it. Do not sleep on Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince.

TechRaptor - 8 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince's bad combat and clunky controls can't bring down an immensely satisfying experience. With excellent puzzles, clever new mechanics, and sumptuous visuals, Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is another superlative entry into an increasingly underrated series.

The Digital Fix - 8 / 10

A mesmerising co-op platformer with gorgeous artwork, Trine 4 has a dreamlike fluidity to its gameplay, an enchanting atmosphere and innovative physics-based puzzles, despite the sometimes underwhelming combat.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

While it might be a little conservative and still suffer from pitfalls that held back previous games in the series, Trine 4 is one of the best puzzle-platformers you’ll play this generation.

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

A return to the form for the puzzle-platformer series that plays like a dream

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Its puzzles are both simple and clever, opening it up to a wider audience, but switching between characters in order to use different abilities tends to be more frustrating than not.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 78 / 100

You are definitely love Trine 3's great art style, impressive puzzles and pretty music list. But sadly, there is not innovation despite the old games.

Critical Hit - 7.5 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a return to form for the enjoyable platforming puzzler series, shifting back the perspective to 2.5D while delivering another stunning, satisfying experience.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 7.5 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a treat for fans of the puzzle genre. While its combat is flawed and some power-ups overpowered, it has intriguing solutions to a myriad of enigmas. If that is all you want out of a series that is known for its mysteries, then pick up the latest entry. It will keep you guessing and pondering until the credits roll.

PC Gamer - 73 / 100

Puzzle design does the heavy lifting for Trine 4, a fun but ultimately hollow experience.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Really, that's how I could sum up Trine 4. It's an easy recommendation for platform fans, but it's also just a plain fun time. It's not revolutionary or trailblazing, but it does what it needs to prove that Frozenbyte hasn't lost its touch. I wouldn't necessarily expect a Trine 5 or anything, but clearly, this series has some life left in it.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7 / 10

Great for newcomers and harmless for fans, the fourth chapter of the Frozenbyte saga is a good adventure game, which will accompany you to the end with a calm and reasoned course, undermined only by an imprecise combat system and a formula that reiterates itself too similarly.

GameSpace - 7 / 10

Trine 4 could've been one of the best puzzler-platformer titles of the year if Frozenbyte had spent more time on designing combats and injecting new mechanics and characters to the veins of the series. The new Trine approximately feels the same as previous games, so it's a fun-to-play game, but doesn't offer anything new.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Trine 4 returns to the safety of its roots, and feels unimaginative and unadventurous because of it.

Impulsegamer - 3.5 / 5

Trine 4 upholds the series reputation for being fun, simple, puzzle-platformers that are gorgeous to look at

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

Trine 4 takes the series back to its roots, even though it doesn't offer a lot of new things over its old entries, but it's still one of the best 2.5D puzzling games out there.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

Trine 4 is filled with heartwarming moments in a rich puzzle-platforming adventure that feels like returning to an old story told in childhood.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a lovely return for the series' 2.5D puzzle platforming. It tinkers with and broadens the gameplay options to be more welcoming, and levels can feel a little stretched out at times, but grab a couple of friends and stick it on Classic mode, and this will delight fans of those first two games.

COGconnected - 60 / 100

The great aspect of Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is that you may discover a new way to solve one of the puzzles, come across new things on a second playthrough or even play more as a different character the second time.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Outrageously pretty and newly refined, Frozenbyte's series finally strikes gold.

GameOctane - A-

I absolutely love Trine 4!  It's a whimsical fantasy puzzle game with fun characters and challenging puzzles.  The campaign is relatively short, but fun to play by yourself or with friends.  If you have the option, I would definitely invite friends over to play with you.  It's a blast playing with multiple people.  I wish the combat was a little more intuitive, but it never took away my enjoyment of the game.  If you want a fun co-op experience with challenging puzzles, then you owe it to yourself to give Trine 4 a try.

pressakey.com - German - Liked-a-lot

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince brings back the Jump'n'Run series. Breathtakingly beautiful and colorful with lovingly placed details, the game grabs you from the first minute. Familiar fun jumping with our three heroes in interaction, spiced with fights, numerous puzzles and funny physics games.