Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition - Information Thread, update: Patch 1.11 released (patch notes posted)

Pikachu

People acting like patches don't exist. :p 

Not that the game shouldn't be great/perfect at launch, but it's a PC game and a PC port at that - there'll be day one patches, etc. Sony's first hand at it, no less. Death Stranding may have launched better, but Kojima has released games on PC before (even with MGS5) and Death Stranding is newer, based on a modified version of Horizon's Decimus engine, and Death Stranding was always being prepped for a PC release, whereas with Horizon I'm sure this is very much retroactive. Older tech, not ever initially meant for PC, etc.

It'll get there. Or should, at any rate, if Guerrilla Games is worth their salt. People be looking a gift hand in the mouth - we're getting Sony first party games on a non-Sony console/platform. This is huge. Let's take the wins we can get and build from there. Imagine if Mario or Zelda just started releasing on PC - a person's first thought wouldn't be: "holy shit!" it's "why isn't it a perfect port?" I'm very much of the former mindset, not the latter.

Guess my standards are low. :p 

56 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Sure, but hitches can be ironed out. 30 FPS cannot be.

Doesn’t change that I’d rather play it 30fps as it stands.  I value a consistent experience over 60fps with large dips, stutters and the like.  

And it seems like performance is an issue in general for most cards not yielding the results you could expect.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Doesn’t change that I’d rather play it 30fps as it stands.  I value a consistent experience over 60fps with large dips, stutters and the like.  

And it seems like performance is an issue in general for most cards, including mid range.

I don't see how anything you said goes against anything I said, except for "as it stands." We all know how it currently stands. They just gotta give Kojima a call.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I don't see how anything you said goes against anything I said, except for "as it stands." We all know how it currently stands. They just gotta give Kojima a call.

The version of Decima they’re porting from likely wouldn’t match Kojima’s.

My issue is that this sounds like a bad port in general.  It’s not just the stutters, but the overall performance profile. 

DLSS 2.0 isn’t going to fix current performance woes on mid range GPUs.  My 1060 should be able to beat a PS4 Pro.  With this game, I have doubts it ever will.

Quick Update regarding Player Reports (Steam)

Thank you for supporting us yesterday as we launched Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on PC! We have been enjoying a whole new wave of screenshots with the in-game Photo Mode, live streams and videos from content creators, and seeing so many new players start their journey with Aloy.

We have been monitoring all of our channels and are aware that some players have been experiencing crashes and other technical issues. Please know that we are investigating your reports as our highest priority.

We appreciate those who have already taken the time to report their issues on Steam, Reddit, or via our website. If you are still encountering crashes or bugs, please continue to use those spaces, or refer to our FAQ if you are unsure of how to proceed. Your reports are, and have already been, incredibly helpful for our teams.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to investigate issues; we will update you all as soon as we have more news.

–Guerrilla

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the game using the integrated gpu instead of my 2080 super? My benchmark seems to look that way, I can't seem to figure out how to switch it anyone know?

spacer.png

Start with this:

Switching to the dedicated Nvidia GPU 
- First, open the Nvidia Control Panel. One way to do that is right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop and choosing Nvidia Control Panel from the menu. 
- Navigate to 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings.
- Open the tab Program Settings and choose the game from the dropdown menu. 
- Next, select the preferred graphics processor for this program from the second dropdown. Your Nvidia GPU should show as High performance Nvidia processor.

2 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the game using the integrated gpu instead of my 2080 super? My benchmark seems to look that way, I can't seem to figure out how to switch it anyone know?

spacer.png

It’s showing your card wrong but it’s obviously not using the igpu, it’s not going to get 47fps at 4k on horizon dawn with uhd630.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If you do 60fps, I've heard animations like mouth animations are locked at 30fps. What's the experience of people here?

It says and shows this in the DF video.

My experience is the 12 minute optimization followed by game looking questionable at the wrong resolution though the cutscene that I didn't skip then when I went to change the resolution the game crashed.

And I haven't played it since. :dancing:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It says and shows this in the DF video.

My experience is the 12 minute optimization followed by game looking questionable at the wrong resolution though the cutscene that I didn't skip then when I went to change the resolution the game crashed.

And I haven't played it since. :dancing:

That cutscene isn’t skippable and until you actually start playing and an autosave occurs, it’s still the first thing you’re greeted by. I saw someone saying it took them 3 tries. :/ 

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC - Patch 1.01 is now available

Our team has been working on a patch that addresses several issues with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC, which is available to download now.

We’re very grateful for all the reports and posts from our players so far! Some issues still need more investigation and testing, so our team is hard at work on the next patch which will go live next week.

KNOWN ISSUES

In addition to the issues identified previously, we’re working on a number of high-priority issues:

• Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • We're aware of and continue to investigate all issues in this list on Reddit as well. Thank you to u/EvilMonkeySlayer for compiling this for us.

PATCH NOTES
Crash/Hang Fixes:

• Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.

Functionality Issue Fixes:

• Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.

Other Fixes:

• Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
  • Fixed several backend issues.
  • Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well

Seems nothing big has been fixed yet but it's a start I guess. Some people are saying this patch wiped their save.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC - Patch 1.02 is now available

This patch aims to resolve some of the more frustrating crashes we’ve been seeing since launch. We are aware that there’s still unresolved issues based on your feedback, so please know that we continue to investigate and work on solutions.

Known Issues

• Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
  • Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.02 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
  • Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
  • Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
  • Some players with a non-Latin-1 codepage may have had their save games missing after Patch 1.01; we have a script that can help relocate the missing save games. Please reach out to our team here using “Report Other Issue” for support.

Patch Notes

Crash Fixes

• Fixed an issue where some players would crash during their first game boot when the ‘game optimization’ screen is active and they ran out of disc space.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash if they updated their video drivers after the game was already optimized previously.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay because of memory incorrectly being overwritten.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay due to a texture unstreaming bug.

Game Improvements

• Improved performance when auto-saving (e.g. when completing a quest step).
  • Fixed an issue where some players experienced that V-sync wouldn’t properly turn off in borderless mode
  • Fixed an issue where some players experienced out of sync facial animations due to them being locked at 30FPS.
  • Reduced memory used when streaming shaders.

Other changes

• Improved crash report flow and messaging. Each crash now includes an identifier you can use to communicate with our Customer Support.
  • Added more features to improve diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.

• 2 weeks later...

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC - Patch 1.03 is now available

This patch aims to resolve additional crashes that have been affecting players.

Crash Fixes

• Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.
  • Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.
  • Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.
  • Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.

Progression Issues

• Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.

Functionality Issues

• Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.
  • Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.

Other Improvements

• 4K Scaling – Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t render at 4K properly on boot.
  • Frame Rate Limiter – Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.
  • Localization – Localized specific error messages.
  • Windows Version Check - The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).
  • Minimum Spec Warning – Improved minimum spec warning message and options.
  • Saving Issue Warning – Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.
  • Player Profile Validation – The player profile is now validated and corrupt profiles (caused by manual editing or tweak tools) rejected.

• Thanks 1

Patch 1.04 for Horizon Zero Dawn on PC is now available to download on Steam! If your game does not update automatically, please restart your client.

This patch aims to resolve additional crashes as well as a host of gameplay and performance improvements. We are continuing to investigate open issues and will update you when we have more news available.

Crash Fixes:

• Fixed a crash that could occur when users would create a new game and their save game slots were full
  • Fixed a startup crash related to temp folder
  • Fixed an AI crash that could occur during combat
  • Fixed an AI crash in the EventMessageHandler
  • Fixed a crash related to WorldData sampling (the callstack would end in WorldMapData::SampleAtPixel)
  • Fixed a crash when users would instantly back out when changing sliders in the Settings menu
  • Fixed a crash that would occur when having the “Greetings” option open in photo mode and then exiting
  • Potential fix for memory corruption in AI routines which could lead to crashes
  • Potential fix for a GPU hang caused by a threading issue
  • Fixed a mismatch that would occur on Shader Model 6.0 and 6.1 hardware which could lead to a crash

Performance improvements:

• General improvement to CPU performance (depending on CPU/GPU speeds, this can result in a 1-10% performance improvement)
  • Improved performance of camera cuts in cinematics and conversations

Other Improvements:

• HDR – Fixed colour banding issues in HDR mode
  • Mouse Controls – Fixed an issue where mouse sensitivity was incorrect when framerate wasn’t constant
  • Aiming – Fixed an issue where Aloy was unable to shoot while being able to do a critical attack near a machine
  • Cutscenes – Fixed an issue where geometry and textures would pop in after camera cuts
  • Adaptive Performance – Fixed an issue where lighting glitches would occur when turning on Adaptive Performance
  • Volumetrics – Fixed an issue which could cause blinking artifacts in volumetric effects, like fog
  • Visibility – Fixed an issue which could sometimes cause geometry to briefly disappear after streaming

• Thanks 1