Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition - Information Thread, update: Patch 1.11 released (patch notes posted)

Pikachu

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Both the PS4 and Xbone are very similar to PC architecture these days, especially playstation where they don't go with cell chips and emotion engines and hard to develop shit. Which makes not only backwards compatibility easier it's also easier to put games on the PC because the consoles are just kinda shitty PCs.

Nah, my PC and most PCs are shitty PCs.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Sure they require time and investment, but not as much as the returns from releasing a super high profile game on a new platform, I'm sure! At most that would just delay day and date releases, no reason to keep "forever exclusives."

I very much doubt Sony would delay a game from a strategic launch date to ensure a simultaneous launch on PC.

3 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

The way most coding is these days is much less platform specific. There are some exceptions, but most games are built on shared libraries so that they can be relatively platform agnostic. This is a general practice in the software / dev industry as a whole (not just gaming).

Answer me then, why are the Death Stranding and Horizon PC ports slated for summer and not early spring?  With few AAA releases this quarter they could do even better releasing now.  Doesn’t make sense, unless of course the work to bring these games to PC, going from a single console target, is responsible for the summer date.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

OLO

I think it cuts both ways.  I don't expect Sony to sell nearly as many consoles this generation because of this move.  Some people are going to wait.

But if they do keep to a timed exclusivity, I also can't imagine Microsoft selling more machines.  Question is how much that matters if game sales themselves also take a dive due to (a la carte) subscription plans.

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:46 AM, Dre801 said:

Still slowly working through it.  Got the Complete Edition  a few months back.  Beautiful game even on base PS4.  

My Opinion here, I mean no disrespect:

Also have the Complete Edition too, not sure when and where the DLC starts or ends but I guess I have that too to look into . . .

I'm sure of one thing, this game will look and play fantastic being able to unlock the 30fps its caped at even on the pro in 4k on a PC gaming rig. I have tried so damned hard to like this game. Everyone and everywhere I look i'm told this very thing! Sadly after beating it last night, I couldn't wait for it to be over! It's weapons aren't very useful other than just your bow and it's variety of arrows and the sling shot. The others take way to long to employ in a fight. If you ambushing one here and there yea the Tripcaster and the Ropecaster are useful, but in the big fights you'll not use them. Even the rattler is pretty useless! I was shocked as I upgraded my weapons very fast to there best versions pretty early too.,  I enjoyed unlocking the map for the first 30 or so hours, but really I just couldn't get into it, and yet forced myself to finish it anyway.

I lost this game and the new God of War and said when I was able to replace my gaming PC and my consoles {Thanks to the California Wild Fires} I would rebuy and play them both. GoW was in my Ps4's disc drive and Horizon was on top in it's case. I'm just putting this game in highly Way Overhyped class to me. It's bold, and beautiful and is interesting but it just lost it's way with me half way in. It's a long game to, taking at least 40 hours for me. I hope I'm in the minority here and it's just a game changer to most of you, me i'm so glad i'm done.

Now on to God of War

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm down but I'm not sure I'm $50 doll hairs down. Especially since you can get the complete version for like 10 bucks these days on PS4.

That's what I bought it as. Fucking steal for $10.

Literally. I was arrested for buying it and had to go before a judge. :| 

• 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 7, 2020)

Developer: Guerrilla

Publisher: Sony

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 83 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9.3 / 10

The post-apocalyptic Guerrilla game may reach a new group of users who have missed Aloy's adventures in their day. One of the best games of the generation, even better than in its original release.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

The PC platform allows Horizon Zero Dawn to be the best game it can be.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Horizon Zero Dawn was the most beautiful looking console game when it released in 2017, and it's even more stunning on PC. If you've waited to play it, then you're in for an absolute treat, and if you played it on PS4, but have a capable PC, then I'd definitely recommend you play through it again before the sequel hits.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 90 / 100

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC is, at the moment, the definitive edition of this critically acclaimed open world title. The port is worth buying not just for the PC gamers that will experience it for the first time ever.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9 / 10

This version of Horizon Zero Dawn brings this great former PS4 exclusive on PC, where it can tap into the potential of a much more powerful hardware.

Vamers - 90 / 100

The Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is a brilliant port, which has been updated with even more pizazz and unfaltering graphical fidelity than previously possible. Sure, there is only so much you can do with a game originally restrained by seven-year-old hardware, but what Guerrilla Games have managed with this PC port is next to incredible. Apart from the occasional bug that will be ironed out at launch, the only issues possibly marring the experience are the long load times and one or two weird controller mappings. Overall, the game looks phenomenal with some truly substantial PC-only upgrades. The Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is a port worthy of the price of entry, and is perfect for anyone who has never played the game before or for big fans who wish to play the visually definitive edition of the game.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC keeps the core of what made the original game so good, offering several improvements that, while not being on the same level of optimization as Death Stranding, will please its new users

PC Invasion - 8 / 10

Horizon Zero Dawn is gorgeous and innately playable, even if the open-world gameplay it presents will feel overly familiar to most. The port has some issues that will almost certainly get stamped out in short order and the gameplay has its fair share of frustrations, but anyone looking for to stalk some robots will find plenty to like.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

This is the best version of a great game, it looks better and it performs better than the impressive PS4 release. However, we still think there is a room for improvement.

Rocket Chainsaw - 4 / 5 stars

Overall, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is a fantastic re-release and visual elevation of the original 2017 game.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

It's got a few bugs to it right now, but this port of Horizon Zero Dawn gives PC players to enjoy this epic game exactly the way they want to which. Doen't get much better than that.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

A very workmanlike open-world game. Great to look at, competent overall, and charming when it tries something new, but formulaic when it doesn't - which is most of the time.

Stevivor - 7 / 10

For all the hype that's been extended to Horizon: Zero Dawn, it hasn't managed to fully deliver.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition brings Guerrilla Games' fantastic sci-fi adventure to a whole new audience, but PC players used to ultra-high frame rates will have to accept a step down in performance as they enjoy Aloy's journey.

ACG - Buy

CGMagazine - Unscored

While the port was quite unstable for me until I was able to land on a better settings profile, I still enjoyed my time with game quite a bit.

Entertainium - Unscored

If the quality of these ports is any indication, we only have to win if they keep coming out as good as Horizon Zero Dawn: The Complete Edition and it’s also a good way of amping even more of the gaming audience up for its recently announced sequel’s release sometime next year.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

This is probably the best version of Horizon Zero Dawn you can get your paws on.

TrustedReviews - Unscored

This is the definitive way to experience Horizon Zero Dawn and the Frozen Wilds expansion if you're in possession of a PC to take advantage of its highest settings.

PC Gamer - 86

Early signs point to Horizon being a slightly inconsistent PC port, though. Several of the team have played the game across a variety of hardware, and the results are somewhat patchy. Happily for our features producer James Davenport, he ran Horizon at a mostly consistent 60fps at 1440p resolution on an RTX 2080 GPU. The hardware team has also been busy benchmarking the game and experienced averages upwards of 75fps at 1440p on an RTX 2080.

Yet on my setup? Despite playing on a 2080 Ti with a beefy CPU, I experienced framerates that seesawed between the mid 40s and low 50s at the same resolution. Hoping to play Horizon in 4K with performance beyond what the PS4 version can offer? You may also be out of luck. The best I could manage at 2160p on a mix of medium and high settings was a stuttering experience that ranged from 25fps to 40fps. The day one patch didn't improve things for me, but that's certainly not the universal experience.

While Horizon’s PC port can’t quite go toe-to-toe with the likes of RDR2’s conversion, this is still a highly polished, top-tier open world adventure. Though it lifts stealth and exploration elements from other games, Aloy’s imaginative combat and captivating metallic foes ensure the time I spent with Horizon will burn bright in my memory.

According to this review, the game still needs more optimizations! Boooo! :(

IGN did a performance analysis and the results were interesting.

One interesting result is that this game is far more CPU bound than most, and it scales very well with additional threads, up to 12.

It also seems to be one of a small number of games where PCIe bandwidth is a limiting factor, where having fewer than 16 limits it more than any game the author is aware of.

There's also a 10% performance penalty for running in borderless windowed vs fullscreen.

I mean, this is Sony (and Guerrilla Games) getting its feet wet for the first time ever in the PC space. I have to say, it's great but just so strange to even see a Sony first party game on the PC in the first place that I'm grateful for that alone, port or no port. Death Stranding and FF7R were always coming to PC, but to now get Horizon Zero Dawn and MLB The Show 21 on PC as well - there's definitely a sea change afoot and I imagine each PC port from Sony will be better than the last. 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, this is Sony (and Guerrilla Games) getting its feet wet for the first time ever in the PC space. I have to say, it's great but just so strange to even see a Sony first party game on the PC in the first place that I'm grateful for that alone, port or no port. Death Stranding and FF7R were always coming to PC, but to now get Horizon Zero Dawn and MLB The Show 21 on PC as well - there's definitely a sea change afoot and I imagine each PC port from Sony will be better than the last. 

A lot of Microsoft's early 1st party PC ports were pretty rough as well, and they've only gotten better with each release.  I remember the first Forza Horizon's having stuttering issues for awhile.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Still funny that Kojima's team, who are using Guerilla's engine, just curb-stomped Guerilla's efforts here. That's pretty sad. Remember, Kojima's studio is also brand new in relative terms.

Yeah, I don’t get why DLSS 2.0 isn’t here.   The vegetation movement looks bad.  A 1060 can’t get to 1080p60. And there’s the consistent stutters, the facial amimation at half resolution, etc.

I think I’ll be playing this on the Pro.  Fake-k 30fps sounds good. 

20 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, I don’t get why DLSS 2.0 isn’t here.   The vegetation movement looks bad.  A 1060 can’t get to 1080p60. And there’s the consistent stutters, the facial amimation at half resolution, etc.

AMD has been advertising this game as better with AMD. I wonder if that’s a factor in why DLSS is nowhere to be seen.

35 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Fake-k? You mean faux-k? Anyhow, I'd rather take a version where patches can make it the proper high refresh rate experience over being forever locked to 30.

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Fake-k? You mean faux-k? Anyhow, I'd rather take a version where patches can make it the proper high refresh rate experience over being forever locked to 30.

I’m highly pessimistic about those facial animations getting there.  Seems like more than an oversight.

It would be the first game I've ever seen besides L.A. Noire (whose faces I always found disgusting to look at, the praise around them was confusing, because it looked like fairly low-res cropped bits of video playing over 3D models, which gave it a horror-show appearance to me) where animations are locked in such a way that they can't be changed based on frame rate. In L.A. Noire I imagine it was entirely because it was this weird 2D->3D scan (I don't know for sure, just my impression) so it was the frame rate of the footage they had. In Horizon, I don't see why they couldn't fix it, but again, dunno. I could see it going either way, an oversight because their main focus is the PS5 sequel, or some weird hard limit because they made their game in a strange way, defying traditional techniques for some reason.

Yes, you would think if other animations scaled, the faces could too.  That’s exactly why I have no faith.  If it was a simple fix, it would have been fixed alongside everything else.

But who knows for sure.  The vegetation interaction is at 30fps too, and that was newly built.