Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition - Information Thread, update: Patch 1.11 released (patch notes posted)

Pikachu

AWESOME!!

I lost everything in the camp fire, obviously my gaming collection took a huge hit as well.

I've been wanting Horizon Zero dawn & The new God of War again, but haven't pulled the trigger. I never started GoW and was very early in Hzd. 

Playing it on my beast of a PC gaming rig would be amazing! This is some good news. Along with the news of Mlb the show coming to PC, things are a changing!

NOW IF I COULD JUST AFFORD A COUPLE GAMES........!

On 1/16/2020 at 6:14 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I'd get this if it was less than $20 on PC.

Never ended up finishing it on PS4.

Same, I ended up buying the complete edition because I wanted to come back to it, but its never at the top of my priority list.

• 1 month later...

PlayStation is no stranger to publishing titles on the PC, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the largest games to make that leap. Is there anything you would say to PlayStation fans? What does it mean for the future?

Sure. I think it’s important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they’ve been missing out on.

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2020/03/10/hermen-hulst-qa-interview-with-head-of-playstations-worldwide-studios/

Being 100% committed to dedicated hardware would imply not porting your games elsewhere.

We'll see all new 1st party games come to PC if Horizon sells well enough.

I still don't have a lot of hope that this will mean that many first party Sony games will come to the PC, but I'd like to see that become the case. I think this is mostly a sign of how Sony is increasingly seeing the PC as a different market than the consoles. Certainly Microsoft hasn't been too afraid of cannibalizing console sales with PC releases. 

They want the money.  They spend this much making the games, they're leaving money on the table.

The only problem is it doesn't think long term.  It could destroy their own royalty revenue if gamers catch on, stop buying consoles, and exercise a little patience if needs be for Sony ports.

Microsoft already made this move knowing they'd be pushing subscriptions full and center, cannibalizing retail sales and royalties both, so they might as well max out what they could sales-wise.  With Sony, I've got to wonder if it's a reactionary or short term fix.

In any case, Valve wins here.  There used to be talk of Steam coming to consoles with Orange Box.  Now it's the consoles coming to Steam, lol.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I still don't have a lot of hope that this will mean that many first party Sony games will come to the PC, but I'd like to see that become the case. I think this is mostly a sign of how Sony is increasingly seeing the PC as a different market than the consoles. Certainly Microsoft hasn't been too afraid of cannibalizing console sales with PC releases. 

I think they were pretty clear that they view this game as an exception.

That said, I think that Sony should look at expanding their ecosystem to PC.  I believe they are the dominant video game storefront, and they could probably extend that to PC if they wanted to.  And bringing their exclusives would be a great first step.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think they were pretty clear that they view this game as an exception.

That said, I think that Sony should look at expanding their ecosystem to PC.  I believe they are the dominant video game storefront, and they could probably extend that to PC if they wanted to.  And bringing their exclusives would be a great first step.

I didn’t expect them to leap into Valve’s arms so quickly.  That was a surprise.

This is one of my favorite games of this gen. I may double dip.

However, I am actually not very keen on the idea of a sequel. One of the major points of interest was the process of unraveling the mystery of what happened, and who Aloy was. I'd definitely need to see some good details before getting excited about it.

The thing I wondered about years ago... the concept of buying certain consoles for exclusives becoming more irrelevant w/ a possible rise of streaming and digital download business models... seem to be coming true.  So is there like any benefit in getting a next gen console if you can afford an upgraded PC other than access to the backwards compatible games?

That game is going to look amazing on PC. Strange seeing Sony 1st party titles on the PC, but it makes sense to see it happening as the market is changing.  I imagine some games will be completely exclusive to the PS5 while others will be timed.  

6 hours ago, heydude93 said:

The thing I wondered about years ago... the concept of buying certain consoles for exclusives becoming more irrelevant w/ a possible rise of streaming and digital download business models... seem to be coming true.  So is there like any benefit in getting a next gen console if you can afford an upgraded PC other than access to the backwards compatible games?

I'm sure even in the pipe dream scenario where Sony eventually releases all their games on PC, they'd still probably hit the Playstation significantly earlier.

Which raises a different question... why? It's not like everyone who buys consoles will just buy a PC even IF all the games were there day and date. People on this very forum have made it very clear that the size, the hassle, the price, that they "don't like dealing with PCs" etc means they'll always have a console. I bet Sony could release day-and-date and only gain popularity and make more sales, making for much more impressive PR statements about "X number of games sold in the first week" or whatever. I doubt that'll ever be the case, but I seriously don't get it. PCs are doing just fine, but the majority of console users are dedicated console users.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm sure even in the pipe dream scenario where Sony eventually releases all their games on PC, they'd still probably hit the Playstation significantly earlier.

Which raises a different question... why? It's not like everyone who buys consoles will just buy a PC even IF all the games were there day and date. People on this very forum have made it very clear that the size, the hassle, the price, that they "don't like dealing with PCs" etc means they'll always have a console. I bet Sony could release day-and-date and only gain popularity and make more sales, making for much more impressive PR statements about "X number of games sold in the first week" or whatever. I doubt that'll ever be the case, but I seriously don't get it. PCs are doing just fine, but the majority of console users are dedicated console users.

AAA PC ports still require time and investment from engineering, QA, UX, design, etc.  There is also no guarantee Sony 1st party game engines are even up and running on PC in the first place.  Could be running straight off the devkits.  First time they will be targeting nvidia cards too.

It is a different situation from Xbox 1st party devs, many of which rely heavily on the years of cross platform development that has gone into UE4, unity, etc.

18 minutes ago, Duderino said:

AAA PC ports still require time and investment from engineering, QA, UX, design, etc.  There is also no guarantee Sony 1st party game engines are even up and running on PC in the first place.  Could be running straight off the devkits.  First time they will be targeting nvidia cards too.

It is a different situation from Xbox 1st party devs, many of which rely heavily on the years of cross platform development that has gone into UE4, unity, etc.

Sure they require time and investment, but not as much as the returns from releasing a super high profile game on a new platform, I'm sure! At most that would just delay day and date releases, no reason to keep "forever exclusives."

12 hours ago, heydude93 said:

I feel like we've largely reached this point with Microsoft/Xbox games. I sold my Xbox One several years ago, but have played the big MS exclusives on my PC on release.

That said, @Xbob42 has a good point in regards to the cost, simplicity, and form factor of consoles. I think we're going to see a shift over the next decade on all platforms (PC included) to streaming... but until then both consoles and PCs will have their places.

1 hour ago, Duderino said:

The way most coding is these days is much less platform specific. There are some exceptions, but most games are built on shared libraries so that they can be relatively platform agnostic. This is a general practice in the software / dev industry as a whole (not just gaming).

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

There's a very simple answer to this.  If Sony does timed exclusives, as they've implied, they'll have a competitive advantage over Microsoft in selling hardware.  Those that tend to play on both PC and Console (there's a TON of us) would be more likely to buy a console where they get to play the so-called exclusives early.

It may be a shit incentive compared to prior generations.  No matter.  We all know people will succumb to it.

Ironically, if Nintendo ever decided to get back into the power game, now would be their best opportunity in decades.  They'd need to open the door to 3rd party subscriptions services if they went there, however.  Times are changing.

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

The way most coding is these days is much less platform specific. There are some exceptions, but most games are built on shared libraries so that they can be relatively platform agnostic. This is a general practice in the software / dev industry as a whole (not just gaming).

Both the PS4 and Xbone are very similar to PC architecture these days, especially playstation where they don't go with cell chips and emotion engines and hard to develop shit. Which makes not only backwards compatibility easier it's also easier to put games on the PC because the consoles are just kinda shitty PCs.