🦀 MELEE IS GONE 🦀 No Super Smash Bros. Melee at EVO 2019

Bacon

20 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Why would they want more than 1 version of Smash Brothers?

Nintendo doesn't. That's why they never put any money into the scene. But it was one of the highest viewed games at EVO. 60k+ Viewer for a game that old with fantastic players. Melee has always been super popular with fans. And Melee is far different than the rest of the Smash games due to glitches that actually made Smash a fighting game and not just a party game. If Melee was still at EVO it would still get an easy 30k viewers. 

37 minutes ago, Nokt said:

its the most boring fighter to watch IMO. 

no, that be the anime fighters

I am not really bothered by Melee not being a EVO, but I did appreciate it. It had many legends and feuds of the years and it is a shame to see it leave the World Stage. But it is old, lacked funding, and CRT's are a fucking bitch. Well, there are still all the other major events so meh. With how much the FGC hates smash I am surprised it wasn't gone sooner. The Melee documentary was amazing and it really made me a new appreciation for the game. 

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a tie unless you consider Dragonball fighterZ an anime game.

I don't like DB. I can't stand DBFZ. I can't stand any of the anime fighters. Melee was always fun because of the players. I love watching chat get royally pissed as Hbox lands his rest. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I am not really bothered by Melee not being a EVO, but I did appreciate it. It had many legends and feuds of the years and it is a shame to see it leave the World Stage. But it is old, lacked funding, and CRT's are a fucking bitch. Well, there are still all the other major events so meh. With how much the FCG hates smash I am surprised it wasn't gone sooner. The Melee documentary was amazing and it really made me a new appreciation for the game. 

One of the GDQ organizers said they go through like a dozen CRT's every time they hold an event. I wonder if ithe same holds true for EVO. 

What's saddest to me is that no game has been able to carry its torch.  Even in a spiritual successor sense.  It's a brand of platform fighter that will die with CRTs.

Icons dying still stings for me.  Gameplay wasn't quite as good, but the pacing and excellent netcode made me feel like I was learning Melee with my friends all over again.

This is sad to see. I feel like Melee was the first game that had a shot at being an "eternal" esport, meaning that it doesn't just cycle in and out on a 3-4 year cycle and can actually establish a sense of history similar to conventional sports. I guess there's always dota.

14 hours ago, Moa said:

I feel like Melee was the first game that had a shot at being an "eternal" esport

It just needs a port to the switch with no changes aside from HD and it would prolly be eternal. But the game and hardware are both super dated.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:47 AM, Bacon said:

I am not really bothered by Melee not being a EVO, but I did appreciate it. It had many legends and feuds of the years and it is a shame to see it leave the World Stage. But it is old, lacked funding, and CRT's are a fucking bitch. Well, there are still all the other major events so meh. With how much the FGC hates smash I am surprised it wasn't gone sooner. The Melee documentary was amazing and it really made me a new appreciation for the game. 

I don't like DB. I can't stand DBFZ. I can't stand any of the anime fighters. Melee was always fun because of the players. I love watching chat get royally pissed as Hbox lands his rest. 

Thanks. I powered through that documentary over a couple days. Found it pretty entertaining. A culture and community I had almost no knowledge of. 

I wonder if Ken with his style had come later and was in his prime 3-5 years ago how he would do against Mango and Armada.