House Dems to pass first major gun control bill since 1994

While it won't get passed the Republican-controlled Senate, the fact that Democrats are not afraid to vote yes on this shows a change in the times.

When Clinton passed his gun control bills during the early 1990s, he faced widespread opposition from House Democrats representing rural and blue-collar districts. In 1993, 69 House Democrats -- over one-fourth of those who voted -- opposed the Brady bill requiring background checks for all gun sales from licensed dealers. The 77 House Democrats who opposed the assault weapon ban in 1994 represented fully 30% of those voting. (Both measures passed only because of substantial crossover support from Republicans representing suburban districts outside the South.)

In the 1994 midterm elections, two months after Congress approved the assault weapons ban, Republicans surged to control of both the House and Senate, and particularly devastated Democrats across the South. Though the Republican wave swept out even many House Democrats who opposed Clinton's gun control agenda, those losses discouraged the party from pressing further gun control initiatives. And when Democrat Al Gore narrowly lost the 2000 presidential election, in part because he failed in heavily blue-collar states where the National Rifle Association campaigned fiercely against him (including New Hampshire and his home state of Tennessee), the conviction hardened among most Democrats that gun control had become a losing issue for the party. After losing the House in 1994, Democrats controlled the chamber for just four years before seizing it again in the 2018 election.

Over time, the evidence grew more irrefutable that by abandoning gun control, Democrats were trying to placate voters they had already lost, while slighting the voters they were attracting. In the latest polling from the nonpartisan Pew Research Center, for instance, two-thirds of nonwhite adults, nearly two-thirds of college-educated white women and a majority of college-educated white men all said it was more important to control gun ownership than to protect gun rights --while a nearly two-thirds majority of blue-collar white men and a thin plurality of blue-collar white women said the opposite.

The current among Democratic officials started to shift when Obama pushed a universal background check bill after Sandy Hook.

The willingness, even eagerness, of most House Democrats to embrace new gun control measures highlights how the party's evolution into a metropolitan-based coalition is shifting its incentives -- and reconfiguring its central fault line. For years, social and cultural issues -- ranging from abortion, gay rights and guns to questions of racial equity and immigration -- created the most difficult divisions for a Democratic House caucus trying to protect a large number of rural and Southern seats.

"I think we are going to see a consistent and sustained legislating on gun safety," said Peter Ambler, executive director of Giffords, the gun control group formed by former Rep. Gabby Giffords. "Guns used to be an issue that divides Democrats and unites Republicans. Now the opposite is true."

Getting there.

This particular bill will not pass in the Senate, and if it did, President Trump will veto it - which is funny because he tweeted last year that he would pass such a bill. lol.

I think if you want to see actual gun legislation passed this year, you're going to need to have a compromise bill.  I know I sing about it all the time, but something similar to the DIY background check bill (similar to what Senator Coburn proposed in 2013) paired with something gun owners want, like removing silencers from the NFA, would have bipartisan support and actually become law. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

This particular bill will not pass in the Senate, and if it did, President Trump will veto it - which is funny because he tweeted last year that he would pass such a bill. lol.

I think if you want to see actual gun legislation passed this year, you're going to need to have a compromise bill.  I know I sing about it all the time, but something similar to the DIY background check bill (similar to what Senator Coburn proposed in 2013) paired with something gun owners want, like removing silencers from the NFA, would have bipartisan support and actually become law. 

No new gun laws will have bipartisan support. Even compromise bills that are a net positive for gun owners would still not actually pass with a GOP-controlled senate. No Republican in Congress is going to willingly set themselves up to be challenged from the right the next time they're up for reelection, and voters aren't smart enough to not vote against their best interests. We just saw the government shut down over a bipartisan funding everyone on both sides was happy with. In what world would a bipartisan bill touching something as hot button as gun rights ever come to pass?

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

2uo9xq.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, mclumber1 said:

please edit I can't see the tweet, might be because people are quitting twitter