Rian Johnson Star Wars Original Trilogy Moving Forward

56 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

TLJ may have featured the same named characters as TFA but they didn't really seem to be the same characters, if that makes any sense. 

Eh, not really. Finn was still cowardly at least initially, Poe was a hot head fly boy, Rey was still a fish thrown into a big scary ocean. 

55 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

An idea being Lucas' doesn't make a good idea. After all Jar Jar says hi. 

Oh and those midichlorians. Bleh. George has plenty of bad ideas. Though I do not think the arch Luke took was a bad idea. 

33 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

At least we can all agree that Solo sucks!

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nope... because I like Solo too. Rogue One on the other hand...

I liked Rogue One, and Solo wasn’t terrible. It was unnecessary. I did not feel it was a story that HAD to be told. To me the biggest issue with Solo is the role was well beyond the acting ability of the guy playing Solo. 

I watched it a second time when it hit Netflix with my Dad, and it was a decently fun movie. He just wasn’t very Han. 

40 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

It's been quite a while since I watched it as well, and when he kills Zod it's probably the first time he is killing someone hands on, but he throws zod through freaking buildings, helps destroy half a city....are you telling me there were no deaths with all that destruction? 

I won't pretend that there weren't deaths in the crossfire, but reading up on the plot it sounds like World Engine already went off and caused damage to Metropolis. I would assume that people would be evacuated or evacuating during the ensuing fight. I would also assume that an accidental killing would be quite a bit different than straight up manslaughter.

Either way, what should Superman have done? He is just barley learning the extent of his powers and in normal circumstances shouldn't even stand a chance against Zod. Even reading up on the synopsis on IMBD "Zod seethes that Clark has taken his soul and promises to kill the humans one at a time in retribution for what Clark has done". Thats after World Engine is destroyed and right before the fight. In what way is Clark going to bait Zod out of the city to fight him and why would Zod oblige? 

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

One of the reasons I liked TLJ is because it shat on TFA. 

This. TFA's mystery box bullshit was the most annoying part about it, and Rian going: "fuck that" was liberating as hell. I'm a GIANT Star Wars nerd (go to conventions, dress up, books, etc.) and the younger generation loves TLJ. And, to a degree, that's what Star Wars is about. Sparking the imagination of kids. TLJ's "anyone can be a hero" theme is so apropo of Star Wars it saddens me that some Star Wars fans don't see the value in that, focusing on stupid things like: "bombs don't drop in space" or "I didn't like that Luke wasn't an epic Jedi loving master badass and was instead a kooky loser who drinks blue tit milk" or "how dare Rose's corniness be a real character trait of a new generation who doesn't believe men have to sacrifice themselves to live meaningfully". 

I wish more franchises took the risks TLJ did. 

Also, Man of Steel is awesome, and is indeed better than many movies. But I've been beating that drum for years now, so I don't want to re-spark debate. When Superman first discovers he can fly though - goddamn. 

Solo was so dissapointing, but I liked Alden as Solo. It just had way too much plot and too much fan service for me to enjoy. It felt like an MCU spin-off film than a proper Star Wars movie. And this is coming from someone who loves Rogue One (better than TFA, worse than TLJ).

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I liked Rogue One, and Solo wasn’t terrible. It was unnecessary. I did not feel it was a story that HAD to be told. To me the biggest issue with Solo is the role was well beyond the acting ability of the guy playing Solo. 

I watched it a second time when it hit Netflix with my Dad, and it was a decently fun movie. He just wasn’t very Han. 

Pretty much how I felt about Solo. It was fun but completely unnecessary, and they really tried way too hard to cram in so many explanations/origins of the stuff we already knew about the character. 

I didn't think Rogue One was necessary :shrug:

Anywhooo... Abrams says the response to TLJ won't affect his plans for episode nine

J.J. Abrams is remaining tight-lipped on specifics about the film, he recently addressed whether or not the response garnered by The Last Jedi impacted his upcoming conclusion to the Skywalker saga.

"No, I think that every movie is its own movie, and obviously this is a trilogy," Abrams said when asked by ET Online if the way he approached Episode IX was affected by the way The Last Jedi was received. "We brought to that movie [Episode IX] all the passion and hard work that we would have no matter what. So I think the story speaks for itself. I really, truly can't wait for you to see it," he added.

Here's the full interview

https://www.etonline.com/media/videos/jj-abrams-on-wrapping-star-wars-episode-ix-and-bringing-back-lando-exclusive-120245

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

I wouldn't say incoherent, though as with all the SW since the original trilogy not without some issues

It was a jumbled mess and you could see the studio's hands all over that edit. Folks gave it a pass for the most part because it ended very strongly and one rule of thumb for a lot of filmmakers is that the audience will forgive a lot if you have a GREAT ending. Rogue One is exhibit A of that... I hope they're using it as a case study in film school :p

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm excited for Johnson's trilogy, but it's so far away it's hard to care too much. We don't have any clue when it will come out, what it will be about, when it will take place, etc.

I'm not even sure what a realistic timeline before we see the film is. 3-5 years?

The creation of a production company has historically coincided with production beginning within 18 months on the 5 Star Wars films under the Disney banner, so I think 3 years could be right. I honestly would not be surprised if they aim for December 2021 leaving only one year without a theatrical Star Wars release, but I suspect December 2022 as the more likely slot for Johnson’s first installment.