[Rumour] Jeuxvideo.com : both Xbox Scarlett models will feature SSD, will be revealed at E3 2019, with Halo Infinite as launch game

SaysWho?

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1006598/projet-scarlet-les-deux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

- Two Scarlett devices announced this E3: Lockhart and Anaconda
- Lockhart = entry level device, no disc drive, digital focused machine
- Anaconda = high end device, price similar to Xbox One X's launch price
- Xbox should announce a disc drive less Xbox One in the coming months
- Launch fall 2020
- For the specs sheet, they say that this is what was rumored to be but can only confirm the presence of SSDs on both machines. They're NOT confirming the full sheet. 
- Halo Infinite is a launch crossgen game
- Ninja Theory's game is slated for early 2020

A writer from The Verge says not all of these specs are accurate.

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

What a lost generation for Halo. It’s time to for Microsoft to bring Bungie back and give them the full control of the IP. 

Or find someone he can update and remake it Doom/God of War-style... modernize and reimagine the formula a bit while remaining true to the spirit of the series. Such a great world and lore they built with that game and series.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question... in the current shooter environment, does Halo still swing a big enough stick to get people go give a shit at console launch? I know people still care about Halo, I just don’t know that it has the cache it needs to carry a launch.

I'm sure it will breathe new life into the Halo Championship Series, especially if it's on the PC. Imagine if pros didn't have to use a controller anymore! :p

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question... in the current shooter environment, does Halo still swing a big enough stick to get people go give a shit at console launch? I know people still care about Halo, I just don’t know that it has the cache it needs to carry a launch.

This is why I think the series is due for a revamp/reimagining... the formula has gotten a bit stale. Honestly I was underwhelmed by both recent Halo's.

53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Personally, no. 

For one 343i has burned a lot of bridges with classic Halo fans. I can't tell you how many stories I've seen about people buying consoles just for MCC to be burned. Then with Halo 5 being "arena" focused and then barley even being something that resembles Halo even more fans left. 

I'm sure bringing back a Classic experience on PC will bring a lot of people back or draw people in, but I don't think it will make a dent in the esports scene, but its the PC port that brings people back, so its not a console seller :p I'd love to be wrong, but thats just my personal feelings. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

What a lost generation for Halo. It’s time to for Microsoft to bring Bungie back and give them the full control of the IP. 

Honestly with how Destiny has turned out... I'll pass. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Or find someone he can update and remake it Doom/God of War-style... modernize and reimagine the formula a bit while remaining true to the spirit of the series. Such a great world and lore they built with that game and series.

This I can get behind. Installation 01 and Project Contingency look like great fan projects. I'm looking forward to their releases. 

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Destiny has good combat which kind of sucked in Halo once 343 took over.

Gunplay might feel good, but thats one of the few things Destiny has going for it. 

PvP has always had balance issues and is constantly on the backburner, something that just won't work for Halo I don't think.

Lackluster story that has no cohesion (Halo isn't in a much better position)

I have the feeling that Bungie would try to bring a lot of its ideas over to Destiny because thats exactly what Reach was. It felt like a building block to Destiny. 

Bungie is still a good video game developer. They are just a shit GaaS developer. If you give them Halo and not force them to make it a service game, I think they would do a great job and get people excited in the franchise again.

343 has somehow took a massive game franchise and turned it into a middling one in just one generation.  

I don't think Lockhart being discless is a good move. Lockhart is supposed to be the budget machine, and one of the big reasons people say they prefer to still buy physical games is because they can resell them once they are done with them. If anything, the Anaconda should be the discless machine as it's targeting the premium market that's more likely to be less price sensitive and probably more likely to already be all digital. 

I have thought about Bungie coming back to Halo, but that probably means MS giving them a bunch of money, and then they have the whole problem of they already have a huge studio dedicated to making Halo games and Halo Infinite should be well into development. Sunk Cost fallacy and all of that but that's hundreds of millions of dollars they've invested in Halo in another direction. I suppose they could bring on Bungie for either Halo 6 or a Halo reboot and still release Halo Infinite since a new game would take a few years to make anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I don't think Lockhart being discless is a good move. Lockhart is supposed to be the budget machine, and one of the big reasons people say they prefer to still buy physical games is because they can resell them once they are done with them. If anything, the Anaconda should be the discless machine as it's targeting the premium market that's more likely to be less price sensitive and probably more likely to already be all digital. 

Gamestop is on it's deathbed as far as selling games. There won't be a lot of places to buy or sell used games other than people on Craigslist. The used game market is won't be around much longer my prediction.

11 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I have thought about Bungie coming back to Halo, but that probably means MS giving them a bunch of money, and then they have the whole problem of they already have a huge studio dedicated to making Halo games and Halo Infinite should be well into development. Sunk Cost fallacy and all of that but that's hundreds of millions of dollars they've invested in Halo in another direction. I suppose they could bring on Bungie for either Halo 6 or a Halo reboot and still release Halo Infinite since a new game would take a few years to make anyway. 

That disc-less take is a good 2017 take.  By 2020 gamepass will make that all irrelevant.  It kinda already has.

If some family is on a budget they can just buy their kid the Lockhart box and a gamepass sub.  Boom hundreds of games with 5-6 new ones every month.

29 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Bungie is still a good video game developer. They are just a shit GaaS developer. If you give them Halo and not force them to make it a service game, I think they would do a great job and get people excited in the franchise again.

343 has somehow took a massive game franchise and turned it into a middling one in just one generation.  

Forcing Bungie to do anything has never been a good move :lol:

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Gamestop is on it's deathbed as far as selling games. There won't be a lot of places to buy or sell used games other than people on Craigslist. The used game market is won't be around much longer is my prediction.

I think it's still too soon. You can sell your games on Amazon and ebay. Before I went all digital, I was definitely getting way more money for my games selling on Amazon than I was trading to Game stop. You guys might be right, but I think used games have a few more years of life left. They are definitely on the way out, but they aren't dead yet. I would think the budget minded consumer would still be interested in buying/selling used games. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Carrying a console launch means a different thing than 2 or 3 generations ago.  Outside of cross-gen Zelda ports, we haven't had great launch 'window' line-ups since the Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube.

Halo might not have the sway it once did.  But compared to the norm, I still think it would be killer... if Microsoft also decided to about face on the PC port/xCloud stuff.  All of which makes the console launch less of an event.

It could be hilarious/telling if most people experience Halo Infinite for the first time on their tablets, phones, or PC via the cloud.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

It could be hilarious/telling if most people experience Halo Infinite for the first time on their tablets, phones, or PC via the cloud.

So I'm an Xbox guy, so bit of a bias here, but that would be awesome. tbh seeing the walled garden approach that Sony has taken this gen, I'd be more willing to buy the next Xbox knowing that my games, game saves, etc. would be carrying over between all my devices, and possibly even my Switch.

I have a PS4 and I feel like it's locked in a cage. Sure I can play with it and have a ton of fun, as long as I'm willing to lock myself in the cage with it. If Sony continues this business model with PS5, I might even pass on it altogether.

33 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So I'm an Xbox guy, so bit of a bias here, but that would be awesome. tbh seeing the walled garden approach that Sony has taken this gen, I'd be more willing to buy the next Xbox knowing that my games, game saves, etc. would be carrying over between all my devices, and possibly even my Switch.

I have a PS4 and I feel like it's locked in a cage. Sure I can play with it and have a ton of fun, as long as I'm willing to lock myself in the cage with it. If Sony continues this business model with PS5, I might even pass on it altogether.

Until they announce TLOU 2 as a PS5 launch title 

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I see it much differently:

- If people chose to stream next-gen releases on existing devices rather than rush out and buy new hardware, it could do huge damage to the industry.  Hardware adoption was already slow this gen.

- Having all your game licenses and saves available 'elsewhere' begs the question if 'elsewhere' is the better alternative.

- I'd need a stronger argument to buy the next Xbox than previous gens, knowing that there won't be a single game exclusive to it.  Especially when exclusives are far from dead on other platforms.  Microsoft has work to do with its multiplatform support too. I wouldn't have wanted to miss DQXI, for example.

- Any console that charges a fee for online multiplayer and has cross-play with PC/phones/tablets is still locked in a cage.  'Freedom' is an annual fee for the lifespan of the console.

21 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

If game streaming becomes a real thing -- the software publishers don't need anyone else.

EA/Ubi/Acti-Lizzar/Epic/anyone else can set up a streaming service and a unique client on your phone/tablet/$25 streaming box.

The publishers want to get out of the royalty game, and get 100% of the revenue for themselves.

I think is mostly theory at this point but my guess is that what you are saying will happen initially... but people can't pay for 25 streaming services.  In the end I think only 2 or 3 will survive and publishers will have their games available to the survivors.  

I think we will see this play out eventually with TV/Movies.  Right now everyone is setting up their own streaming service - but no way they all still exist in 5 years.  The cost to attract and then to keep customers is super high.  If you want to have people keep paying monthly fee's then you have to have constant fresh high quality content.

In my opinion.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:12 PM, number305 said:

I think is mostly theory at this point but my guess is that what you are saying will happen initially... but people can't pay for 25 streaming services.  In the end I think only 2 or 3 will survive and publishers will have their games available to the survivors.  

I think we will see this play out eventually with TV/Movies.  Right now everyone is setting up their own streaming service - but no way they all still exist in 5 years.  The cost to attract and then to keep customers is super high.  If you want to have people keep paying monthly fee's then you have to have constant fresh high quality content.

In my opinion.

I think the gaming industry is in an entirely different place than where movies/tv is.  I very much doubt we'd only see 2-3 streaming clients survive:

• Game publishers are used to seceding 30% of their revenues to platform holders.  It wouldn't take much for their own services to improve their bottom line, even if second fiddle to more populated storefronts/services.  

• Major publishers and their blockbusters are attracting attention all their own.  There's a ton of Disney's or HBO's, in other words.  Furthermore, we've seen single games drive storefront adoption on PC.  The same could happen with mobile platform streaming clients.

• Game publishers have tools to bolster their own services that filmed media doesn't: GAaS and free-to-play.  Both help them sustain.

• Cloud game streaming has some serious catch up to do in the fidelity department.   Current options (including the Project Stream test) aren't even preferable to playing on the Xbox One S.  This has to change for streaming to catch on outside of mobile, IMO.

I've said it before: In the long term, I see streaming services on consoles modeling themselves after Cable TV, not Netflix.  The platform holder will act as the gatekeeper, creating/licensing content that may or may not hit.  The other major publishers will push to charge for their own 'packages.'

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I've said it before: In the long term, I see streaming services on consoles modeling themselves after Cable TV, not Netflix.  The platform holder will act as the gatekeeper, creating/licensing content that may or may not hit.  The other major publishers will push to charge for their own 'packages.'

Maybe. But I think soon there won't be platforms. If the next gen starts in 2020 and lasts 5 years it might be the last gen of traditional hardware upgrades. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:35 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Launch title doesn’t mean what it used to for MS consoles. These new systems will not be launching with just 6-12 games. The way MS seems to be planning this is your entire library will continue forward. Plus Halo will work in older hardware too. 

It will only be a launch title in the sense it will take advantage of the specs and features on the new hardware. Much like when the One X released. 

They’re the console versions for people that upgrade their phone every 2 years.