Sony filed another backwards compatibility patent

SaysWho?

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility-all-but-confirmed-by-newly-discovered-sony-patent/

Earlier this month, a patent filed by Sony seemed to suggest that the company was working on a backwards compatibility program for PS5, the inevitable next-gen follow up to its hugely successful console, the PS4. While it didn't outright confirm anything, a second Sony patent recently discovered online has corroborated our suspicions that the PS5 will indeed be backwards compatible, especially as this one explicitly mentions backwards compatibility upfront. 

Titled  “Simulation of legacy bus operation for backward compatibility”, the patent was registered at the same time as the previous one, but was only published this week, and relates to a method which emulates the internal communications of a legacy system (i.e. old Sony hardware) for the company's new technology.

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H31505046/TKBS_GM302_Detailed.action

Slsboin.png

20 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Was the BC thing just for PS5?  I thought they’d be adding it to PS4 too

i guess it’s selling so well anyways no point in adding it this late in the gen.  

Indications are that it's PS5.

At this point, if PS5 releases next year, then I don't think it's high priority to get the PS4 BC for the reason you stated.

I’ve come so close to buying a PS4 Pro to play all the amazing games that released the last few years, but was counting on BC and figured I’d hopefully be able to play those games at their best performance with a PS5.

Hopefully that’s the case.  I have a regular PS4 but never really use it still for that reason. 

17 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I’ve come so close to buying a PS4 Pro to play all the amazing games that released the last few years, but was counting on BC and figured I’d hopefully be able to play those games at their best performance with a PS5.

Hopefully that’s the case.  I have a regular PS4 but never really use it still for that reason. 

tbh, the performance is great on the base as well; it's just the resolution that's also base (usually 1080).

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Like I said in the first thread about this, I'll beleive it when they announce it.

Sony has been horrible with BC for over a decade now. I would really like to believe it, but I don't want to be disappointed again.

Think of it this way.

Microsoft had no BC forever, and then all of a sudden they're BC with both of their previous consoles.

PS2 had great BC, PS3 started with BC, PS4 had none. But there's a history of it, so returning to it isn't really that weird.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Think of it this way.

Microsoft had no BC forever, and then all of a sudden they're BC with both of their previous consoles.

PS2 had great BC, PS3 started with BC, PS4 had none. But there's a history of it, so returning to it isn't really that weird.

All of a sudden? What would the OG Xbox have been bc with?

And while i give Sony credit for trying, i can't say the PS2 bc was great. The software PS1 emulator on the PS2 was awful. Most of the games looked worse than if you just played them on a PS1.

I never got to experience PS3's emulation, but if Sony can do it right on PS5 it would be a huge selling point for me. Especially if it upscales and antialiases the ps1 and Ps2 games, which i still have a binder full of.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

All of a sudden? What would the OG Xbox have been bc with?

Sony had it in their second console. 360 didn't have it. And with Nintendo, they were in the BC field in their handhelds. As @Paperclyp has said, the companies aren't your friends; it's not like any of them haven't done BC before MS. They were all doing that. The only thing now is that we may be entering a time where, since much technology is consolidating (phones do a billion things, TVs can access internet and apps, etc.), that it's more important for current tech to play previous tech. It may also help developers who are making current gen games that their games are playable on next-gen hardware.

That's my hope, anyway.

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

And while i give Sony credit for trying, i can't say the PS2 bc was great. The software PS1 emulator on the PS2 was awful. Most of the games looked worse than if you just played them on a PS1.

I never got to experience PS3's emulation, but if Sony can do it right on PS5 it would be a huge selling point for me. Especially if it upscales and antialiases the ps1 and Ps2 games, which i still have a binder full of.

It was great because there were only a few games that couldn't work on the PS2. Just about everything was playable the minute you bought it. You didn't have to wait for them to make a batch of games playable.

I have hopes because Cerny is apparently the architect again, and between SharePlay, ability to stream/save videos with ease, and suspend/resume, he figured out a lot of user-friendly functions developers and gamers were asking for. With these patents, my hope is, even if it's after launch, I can play PS1 - PS4 games. I also have stuff from the previous three consoles that would get more playtime if I could suspend/resume them as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Sony had it in their second console. 360 didn't have it. And with Nintendo, they were in the BC field in their handhelds. As @Paperclyp has said, the companies aren't your friends; it's not like any of them haven't done BC before MS. They were all doing that. The only thing now is that we may be entering a time where, since much technology is consolidating (phones do a billion things, TVs can access internet and apps, etc.), that it's more important for current tech to play previous tech. It may also help developers who are making current gen games that their games are playable on next-gen hardware.

That's my hope, anyway.

It was great because there were only a few games that couldn't work on the PS2. Just about everything was playable the minute you bought it. You didn't have to wait for them to make a batch of games playable.

I have hopes because Cerny is apparently the architect again, and between SharePlay, ability to stream/save videos with ease, and suspend/resume, he figured out a lot of user-friendly functions developers and gamers were asking for. With these patents, my hope is, even if it's after launch, I can play PS1 - PS4 games. I also have stuff from the previous three consoles that would get more playtime if I could suspend/resume them as well.

Oh MS was definitely not the first to dip their toes in the BC pool. But the 360 did indeed have backward compatability, though it was a limited selection. In fact, a pretty good number of the OG Xbox games playable on the XBO are carryovers from that original selection.

Hell its the only way i still get to play the og Splinter Cell trilogy. If only they'd bring those over my life would be complete.

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

Oh MS was definitely not the first to dip their toes in the BC pool. But the 360 did indeed have backward compatability, though it was a limited selection. In fact, a pretty good number of the OG Xbox games playable on the XBO are carryovers from that original selection.

Hell its the only way i still get to play the og Splinter Cell trilogy. If only they'd bring those over my life would be complete.

wait srsly?

Why wasn't I using this shit, then? :isee::notsure:

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

IIRC some of the OG Xbox games that were “compatible” were shit shows. KOTOR springs to mind. That’s just my memory of it, I could be wrong. KOTOR ran like shit regardless. 

This thread is the first I’ve ever heard anyone claim PS1 games ran poorly on PS2s. 

Everything I played was fine. Maybe there was a resolution difference? 

But even so, I found it to be the best just because you didn't have to wait for anything to become compatible. Buy a PS2 at launch and you get to play almost the entire library of PS1 games with a few exceptions (and I don't recall there being any glaring exceptions, like a FF7 or RE2). 

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Everything I played was fine. Maybe there was a resolution difference? 

But even so, I found it to be the best just because you didn't have to wait for anything to become compatible. Buy a PS2 at launch and you get to play almost the entire library of PS1 games with a few exceptions (and I don't recall there being any glaring exceptions, like a FF7 or RE2). 

Agreed. I don’t remember the nitty gritty, but Sony kind of accidentally stumbled in to BC with the PS2 as well. It was never even considered at that point to be a feature, then it was expected, then it was desired but not really emphasized by devs, now it looks like it might be somewhat standard again.