Untitled Goose Game OT - A Honking Good Time (Update: Two-player mode coming 23 September!)

Pikachu

I love seeing games like this succeed. I really like when these cheaper games give a short and excellent experience rather than an endlessly mediocre one. This definitely joins my list of games for people who think they don't like games along with Donut County, A Short Hike, and What Remains of Edith Finch, among others.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I would not have predicted that this would be a hit like this. People I know who don’t really follow video games, this is the one they’re talking about. 

People who don't play video games and see something strange and an anomaly will talk about it because it doesn't fit their idea of what video games are.

In other words, fucking casuals.

Untitled Goose Game honoured at Australian Game Dev Awards

Untitled Goose Game was the recipient of Game of the Year at the Australian Game Developer Awards, one of two trophies won by developer House House.

The Melbourne-based studio received both Game of the Year and Best Sound Design for Untitled Goose Game, which has been both a critical and a commercial success since it launched on September 20.

In an interview with ABC News, House House said that sales surpassed 100,000 units in less than two weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After all the utterly terrible memes I saw for months about this game, it being this kind of shitty indie chore simulator was one of the worst decisions I could possibly imagine for a title like this. How do you take a goose, which is an animal that does whatever the fuck it wants because it's a goose, and then literally give it a list of chores to do to progress through a linear game? Way to not capture the spirit of a goose at all, not to mention in terms of gameplay you solve half the problems the second you see the relevant items and then it's just meandering through the bullshit until you can do the pseudo-stealth sections and not get shooed away, all for bad, low stakes slapstick.

It's not funny or fun. It's a bad game. It fails at everything it sets out to do aside from making memes, which I guess is better than what some games accomplish.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:55 AM, Xbob42 said:

After all the utterly terrible memes I saw for months about this game, it being this kind of shitty indie chore simulator was one of the worst decisions I could possibly imagine for a title like this. How do you take a goose, which is an animal that does whatever the fuck it wants because it's a goose, and then literally give it a list of chores to do to progress through a linear game? Way to not capture the spirit of a goose at all, not to mention in terms of gameplay you solve half the problems the second you see the relevant items and then it's just meandering through the bullshit until you can do the pseudo-stealth sections and not get shooed away, all for bad, low stakes slapstick.

It's not funny or fun. It's a bad game. It fails at everything it sets out to do aside from making memes, which I guess is better than what some games accomplish.

Ok, boomer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, game of the year what?

I downloaded this right when it came out because I thought my kids would love it.

We had minutes of fun!

Seriously, we all took turns playing it for like 45 minutes... then I played for like 30 more minutes when they went to bed and I don;'t think it's seen single second of play since then. My kids have zero interest... and they have been locked in a house playing video games for 4 months straight.

It's a cute idea, but it's actually not that fun once you get over the novelty.

3 hours ago, ort said:

Yeah, game of the year what?

I downloaded this right when it came out because I thought my kids would love it.

We had minutes of fun!

Seriously, we all took turns playing it for like 45 minutes... then I played for like 30 more minutes when they went to bed and I don;'t think it's seen single second of play since then. My kids have zero interest... and they have been locked in a house playing video games for 4 months straight.

It's a cute idea, but it's actually not that fun once you get over the novelty.

Same. My kids had fun with it for literally a few minutes, then never played it again.