Untitled Goose Game OT - A Honking Good Time (Update: Two-player mode coming 23 September!)

Pikachu

It's a lovely morning in the village and you are a horrible goose.

Untitled Goose Game is a slapstick-stealth-sandbox, where you are a goose let loose on an unsuspecting village. Make your way around town, from back gardens to the high street shops to the village green, setting up pranks, stealing hats, honking a lot, and generally ruining everyone's day.

Untitled Goose Game is being developed by House House, published by Panic, and will launch on Nintendo Switch and the Epic Game Store on September 20, 2019.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is like complaining about a PS4 exclusive, but PS4s are now free.

Or a bootleg PSN exclusive that runs in its own app store on your PS4 and is missing a bunch of features like cloud saves, and is known for having poorer security with your credit card info (which you'll have to be entering separately than your real PSN) and is an overall shittier store, also no parties or voice chat functionality.

But hey, it's free, which means it's good! How else are you gonna buy the meme goose game?!

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Or a bootleg PSN exclusive that runs in its own app store on your PS4 and is missing a bunch of features like cloud saves, and is known for having poorer security with your credit card info (which you'll have to be entering separately than your real PSN) and is an overall shittier store, also no parties or voice chat functionality.

But hey, it's free, which means it's good! How else are you gonna buy the meme goose game?!

Is there actually a problem with epic store CC security? 

And do you actually use steam voice chat? 

There are some drawbacks, but boycotting using the store at any cost is extreme. 

37 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Damn. That lack of voice chat for the single player meme goose game has got to suck. Cloud saves also suck for this 2.5 hour, no replayability game. I mean, I have separate backup software for my gaming desktop just because, but that's because the point. Everyone got mad at Nintendo for not having cloud saves since they didn't allow you to backup those saves anywhere else.

I could totally see not wanting to pick up some big multiplayer game on EGS because you don't want to use some other voice chat system. I could also see not wanting to pick up some 500hr game on EGS because you don't want to bother using something like Google Drive or CrashPlan. Skipping out on a stupid meme goose game that's actually pretty fun for any of those reasons makes zero sense. It's cheap, it's fun.

Also, I picked it up on the Switch because it runs perfectly there and I honestly don't really have much time for non-portable gaming these days anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

"Hey why don't you want to use this"

"Here's why I don't want to use this"
"Yeah but who cares about that"

This fuckin' conversation, over and over.

There are valid reasons to not want to use it, but truly I don’t think most people for instance probably use steam voice chat, so when that is brought up as a reason it’s hard to believe that person is really as against the service as they claim to be. It comes off as a bit theatrical. I don’t mean to implicate you personally in that, and it’s easy to unfairly mix people who just generally are displeased with the epic store features and don’t wanna use it in with the people who send death threats and act as if epic had murdered their family. 

So like I said the services aren’t equal and it’s fair to point that out, but I do find an abject refusal to ever use it even if there’s a game on there you’d like to play to be extreme. 

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

"Hey why don't you want to use this"

"Here's why I don't want to use this"
"Yeah but who cares about that"

This fuckin' conversation, over and over.

Come on. You get my point. This is a stupid and inexpensive, single player, two hour game. Why would any of those missing features stop someone from buying and playing this particular game that they'd otherwise enjoy?

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

EGS has no DRM so once you download it you can give it to whoever you want, at least from my understanding of it.

There are DRM options in EGS.  It's up the developer.  In many cases you can play without directly opening the launcher, but it still requires a handshake with your account to set up.

Can we just banish all EGS conversations to a seperate perpetual thread of endless bickering?

On the actual topic of Untitled Goose Game, I played through it on the Switch and I mostly enjoyed myself. I finished the standard checklists and will go back and finish the extended ones soon. Unlike a lot of reviewers, I think the length of the game is appropriate, given the actual depth in the game. Goose Game leans heavily on the novelty, which is quite substantial, but it isn't around long enough for that novelty to really wear out.

The gameplay is simple, repetitive, and sufficient to carry it through the couple hours one can reasonably expect to be playing it. I can imagine a more substantial Goose Game where your options for interaction and the effects you have on people are more intricate, but that's not this game. You have a specified set of interactions available to you, and what you can do to objects or people (or otherwise incite them to do) is all pretty limited. This isn't a real sandbox of possibility, but no one should expect it to be.

For $15 on the Switch it was well worth the money and the time. There's a palpable joy in being a dick of a goose and terrorizing a frightened child or outsmarting a shopkeep. The simple graphics and soundtrack make just waddling around and flapping your wings is entertaining enough. I did get stuck early on, unable to snatch a hat. I tried a few things getting the man to bend down and just grab it, but I couldn't get the hat. I then spent a few minutes trying a bunch of things trying to be more clever (will he take it off if it gets wet? can I flap my wings and blow it off? can I push something over on him to knock it off?), but it turns out that I just hadn't done a good job of aiming in the first place, and basically any simple bending interaction got him in range. There were a few times where selecting the right object was a bit of a pain, but it wasn't a game breaking issue.

In the end this won't be a game that has a lasting impression, and it's not exactly vying for game of the year, but it's also the kind of gaming experience I'm increasingly taken with. It's a short, but pleasurable experience. It hasn't been streamlined by endless playtesting, and it's not exactly breaking new ground, but it's consistently entertaining in its simplicity and novelty. If the game takes off and they expand on it, great. If this is the final form of Goose Game, I'll be content that I played it and had a few good laughs.

I bought the Goose Game for PC. It's a rollicking good time. 

And at this point in life, it's what I want out of a game. Simple, yet challenging. High meme economy potential. Pleasant graphics and music. 

I liken this to Portal and Portal 2 in terms of how the puzzles are solved, and with how unique the whole thing feels, regardless of its simplicity.