2019 Samsung Unpacked Event

Emblazon

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is the screen area of the front screen actually that small a percentage of the front face area, or is that just a one-handed mode? 

It's that small. What's funny is Samsung is running an ad on TV that shows a foldable phone where the screen on the front covers the entire surface. The phone in the video is quite a bit thinner, too. 

Countdown until someone sues Samsung for false advertising?

Out of curiosity, I took the Bright Night/Night Sight pictures here and tried upping the brightness and contrast on the S10 image. The Paint.net auto-level just washed it out and made grain more apparent; not sure if Photoshop would do better but I don't have that installed.Then I tried manually kicking up the brightness and contrast and got this:

https://imgur.com/a/08C6QRA

At that point I think it's a matter of preference. The S10 with the brightness and contrast raised seems like it's probably indicative of what you'd actually see with your eyes; the Pixel 3 seems like what you'd see if you turned the lights on. You'll also notice that some of the objects, like the glasses on the dog doll, are better-defined in the S10 image.

I think an outdoor nighttime comparison is necessary to get a better sense if the Pixel 3 is actually better, or just subjectively more pleasing to some people (at least for low-light performance). But at least based on this pair of pictures, it looks like the S10 is capturing enough information for the pictures to be more than usable if your main complaint is just finding what it defaults to a touch too dark.

So I just went into the Verizon store and looked at the phones. The pill cutout is a lot less objectionable in person than I was expecting, so I think I'm gonna order the 128 GB S10+. The extra storage is tempting but I feel like 128 GB should be plenty if I get an SD card to dump stuff like Spotify downloads onto. 

Also, the S10e looks like a nice option if you don't want to go big, I held up my S7 against it and it's literally the same footprint (did not have a chance to compare thickness due to the security cage on the device). 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

So all models have the camera on the screen???? That might be a pass for me. That's just so annoying. I was thinking it getting a new phone this year too since I have an S7. 

Yes. But I strongly recommend actually going into a store and handling the phones before making up your mind. Like I said, based on the pictures I was fine with the circular cutout on the S10e and S10 but expected to absolutely hate the pill cutout on the S10+, but pretty immediately decided I didn't actually mind it upon seeing it in person. I didn't spend as much time with the S10e and S10, but with the S10+, I think it's that the screen is so tall that your eyes aren't going to be spending a ton of time looking at that portion of the screen anyhow if you're doing something like reading the boards or a newspaper article. And if you rotate the phone it just does a letterboxing blackout of the side of the screen the cutout is on.

And as I also mentioned earlier, I have an S7 too, so I'm coming from the same place you are in terms of what I'm used to.

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes. But I strongly recommend actually going into a store and handling the phones before making up your mind. Like I said, based on the pictures I was fine with the circular cutout on the S10e and S10 but expected to absolutely hate the pill cutout on the S10+, but pretty immediately decided I didn't actually mind it upon seeing it in person. I didn't spend as much time with the S10e and S10, but with the S10+, I think it's that the screen is so tall that your eyes aren't going to be spending a ton of time looking at that portion of the screen anyhow if you're doing something like reading the boards or a newspaper article. And if you rotate the phone it just does a letterboxing blackout of the side of the screen the cutout is on.

And as I also mentioned earlier, I have an S7 too, so I'm coming from the same place you are in terms of what I'm used to.

Oh does it? So if I'm watching YouTube it won't affect it? That was my main concern, watching videos. 

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

Oh does it? So if I'm watching YouTube it won't affect it? That was my main concern, watching videos. 

The screen size on these phones is coming from the aspect ratio. The S10 and S10+ are something like 19:9 (not sure off the top of my head what the ratio on the S10e is). So in landscape mode there's plenty of leftover screen area to black out without it being a big deal. And it doesn't just do this with video, it looked like it does it globally.

Like I said, go into a store and look at the phones. The pictures of the cutouts do not properly convey what they're actually like in person.

36 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Eh tracking just updated on UPS, will have it tomorrow by end of day.

That's still two days early. Right now all I have is a text from Verizon yesterday telling me to watch out for another text with a tracking number once my phone ships. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's still two days early. Right now all I have is a text from Verizon yesterday telling me to watch out for another text with a tracking number once my phone ships. 

T-Mobile says my S10 will be delivered tomorrow as well, so Sprint isn't the only one shipping phones early.

Oh shit, just got a "your tracking and shipping information" email from Verizon saying it's shipped. Hopefully this isn't one of those bullshit instances where you get the notification and then it spends a day or two sitting at the "waiting for carrier pickup" stage.

14 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

You'll likely get it Thursday, will do a lot of traveling tomorrow.

Yeah, as I said in the next post the ETA on the FedEx site is tomorrow by 8 PM. Kinda frustrating considering it's only coming from Fresno (Google Maps is saying you could drive from Fresno to Santa Monica in 3.5 hours right now) but I know with the way these distribution systems work that things can take quite a bit longer than you'd think even for a relatively short distance...it'd be nice if I get surprised with it showing up tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. Probably picked up tonight, Fresno-->LA tomorrow, out for distribution Thursday.

@BlueAngel apparently it comes with a very basic screen protector pre-installed (not just the disposable film attached to all new phone screens). I'd be curious for impressions about whether it seems like it's worth a damn, or if it seems like it's just ust something to make it not an emergency if you can't have a screen protector on hand to apply the moment you open the box. 

45 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

If it makes you feel better, I messed up and had the phone shipped to my house instead of my office. Now, I get to see it delivered and then have to wait until I get home.

My office makes a big stink about it if you try to get personal deliveries shipped there (doubly frustrating because nobody ever said anything in the DC office)...I really hope FedEx doesn't pull an "we absolutely will not leave this without a signature and now you have to wait an extra day until the box makes its way to your local FedEx store for holding". :(

23 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Seems really nice, can hardly tell there is one applied. Definitely of high quality for sure, no cutout for the fingerprint sensor either. I'll keep it for the time being and see how it holds up.

Finally setup, galaxy buds redeemed. Screen protector feels real good, works great with my case. Loving it so far, the camera cutout doesn't even bother me.

Glad to hear it might last a while. Worst case it sounds like it'll at least last long enough for the situation on what screen protectors are compatible with the fingerprint sensor to get sorted out.

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

@Jason phone out for delivery?

It just hit 8 AM here so I think it's a little early for that. :p But it's in a facility that's being labeled "At local FedEx facility" so that sounds like the next stop is the delivery truck.

2 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Nice let me know how you like it.

So far I like it. A couple of things I'm noticing are that people are right that the power button is a little too high, which is more noticeable with the lack of a physical home button. And it's a little annoying that you can't hide the navigation buttons and that your only other option is gestures; it feels like it wastes space and minorly defeats the point of doing the cutout instead of a large top bezel. Neither are particularly big deals, but I'm noticing them. 

Thankfully one of the two cases I ordered does in fact protect the sides of the screen as well, the thing to call up the quick apps tray by swiping from the side doesn't seem to really work with it but I probably wouldn't really use that anyhow. 

I charged my battery up to full last night and then left it off the charger overnight as a test out of curiosity. I've been on battery for 11 hours 17 minutes with 2 hour 9 minutes of screen time and I've still only gotten down to 73%. I'm pretty sure my S7 would be dead by now, or at the very least it would be very near death. I did turn on the "adaptive power saving" option in power modes, so I'm guessing part of the battery life performance here is from cranking up the aggressiveness of the power saving stuff overnight.

Also, it's funny how the S7 screen looked significantly tinier immediately upon powering up the S10+. :lol:

I ordered one for my godmother unlocked from the Samsung app and MetroPCS is giving her saying that it's not unlocked and is actually a TMobile phone. Weird because Metro is part of TMobile now and also because I have the email that says unlocked. Maybe she just dealt with a dumb rep?