2019 Samsung Unpacked Event

Emblazon

I'm impressed that the screen can fold in half and look as seamless as it does, but it overall looks like a terrible device. While folded it's super thick and has a tiny screen that doesn't come close to filling the front of the phone. Given how high the keyboard is lifted, it seems like it would be pretty annoying to use. While unfolded it's much bigger than anything else you can fit in your pocket, but it's an awkward aspect ratio, which I'm sure will cause havoc with lots of apps and limits how useful it is for video.

Since I own a tablet I don't use my phone for everything. For people that do use their phone for netflix and books and everything else I use my tablet for, I suppose I can see the appeal in a device like this.

Still, it's clear that this is a stepping stone device intended primarily to show off the new tech and justify the tooling investment. I can't imagine that it's a good device or they expect anyone to shell out $2k for it.

It does make me hopeful that in the next year or two we could actually see something like this RAZR design

moto-razr-2019-patent-1-700x467-c.jpg

• Like 1

The S10 has been leaked for a while now, but it's still a slick looking piece of hardware, it's just a shame you have to use Samsung software. I've owned some Samsung devices, but not for a while now, and certainly not with the new One UI. I'm so tempted to give them another chance, especially since the Pixel 3 was so underwhelming.

13 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

It's being covered right now. 

In-screen ultrasonic fingerprint reader. 

Yeah just saw some, and it has the camera lenses on the screen. WTF? Why do phone companies keep doing shit like that? It's so annoying. Stop covering up part of my screen! 

At this point I think my two main things are:

1. I hope we can see display units in stores during the preorder window. From the pictures, I strongly prefer the circular cutout on the S10 to the pill cutout on the S10+, but I feel like this is the sort of thing you have to see in person to really get a proper sense of.
  2. I hope to see feedback about the side-mounted fingerprint reader on the S10e during the preorder window (wouldn't want to set it up on a display unit, plus with the anti-theft stuff they always put on the backs of display units it'd be hard to get a proper feel for it anyhow). From what I've seen the S10e is going to ditch the telephoto lens and keep the wide-angle lens, which seems like the right way to go, so I could be sold on the S10e if the side-mounted fingerprint reader isn't frustrating to use.
2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It looks cool, but I can't see it selling that well (especially at that price). 

I'm sure Samsung doesn't expect the Fold to sell super well, it's a gen 1 product and they need to get something out so that they can get actual real-world feedback on it.

Also, I wonder how much of the increased battery life as you move up the chain of S10e->S10->S10+ gets eaten up by the increasingly larger displays vs actually giving you longer battery life...but will reviewers get enough time with pre-release units to have a proper sense of that?

I really can't believe there's no stylus in the Fold. 

I still don't think the Android gestures are on par with the iOS gestures. They really need to just up and ditch the 3 bottom button ideology at some point. Swipe up to go back is just flat out goofy. And there hasn't been a need for a dedicated "Menu" button in years. 

While the Fold is super interesting, it's not $2000 interesting. And the S10 does nothing for me. 

Looks like I'm waiting to see what iOS 13 has to offer. This is the longest I've suck with one cell phone, and I've had cell phones since 1999. I've had my X since December 2017. 

32 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I am actually passing on this, Sprint can shove this phone up their ass. Won't push my upgrade 10 days so I miss out on the pre-order goodness, well fuck you. Going to Verizon.

If you're switching companies, I've been through them all, and T-Mobile was by far the best cellular company I've had. I left for a company discount and have been itching to go back ever since. 

@BlueAngel a couple of things I'm seeing on Verizon. I feel like at least one of these has to be a mistake, but...

1. For the S10 they have the 128 GB and 512 GB models listed, but for the S10+ they only have the 128 GB model listed. 

2. The S10e isn't eligible for the free Galaxy Buds, apparently, but for the other two Verizon says you have until 3.17.19 to preorder, and then fill out the form by 4.4.19.

For the first one I could see Verizon doing something like that, but for the second one, it kinda feels like a typo for 3.7.19, but since you have until 4.4.19 to claim the free Galaxy Buds... 

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

@BlueAngel a couple of things I'm seeing on Verizon. I feel like at least one of these has to be a mistake, but...

1. For the S10 they have the 128 GB and 512 GB models listed, but for the S10+ they only have the 128 GB model listed. 

2. The S10e isn't eligible for the free Galaxy Buds, apparently, but for the other two Verizon says you have until 3.17.19 to preorder, and then fill out the form by 4.4.19.

For the first one I could see Verizon doing something like that, but for the second one, it kinda feels like a typo for 3.7.19, but since you have until 4.4.19 to claim the free Galaxy Buds... 

So okay, the issue with the first one seems to be that the ceramic and non-ceramic models are treated as separate colors, and it defaults to a non-ceramic one, which only comes in 128 GB. Still wondering how you can place a preorder after the release date of the phone, though.

1 minute ago, BlueAngel said:

I know it still works but it's old, the battery is terrible and was terrible even brand new don't know how you have lived with it so long. I get antsy if I don't get a new phone every year.

That's great if you're super wealthy I guess. My S8+ isn't going away for at least a year more. I will buy this phone when it's cheaper in a year.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't want to pick on the fold too much, because it is pretty cool, even if it's still pretty dumb, but I didn't realize this when I saw the reveal:

3361a7b0-35ed-11e9-bbdb-ff1bcda751af

It doesn't fold flat. It has an odd dual hinge that leaves a gap.

It makes sense that it would need that, but it is kind of a bummer.

It makes sense so the screen doesn't crease, but it really sucks for dust particles that you know will fly in between the screens and scratch the holy hell out of it.