For some inexplciable reason, Netflix made a Mötley Crüe biopic (The Dirt)

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

This take is only true if you are speaking just of the output of the major studios. The amount of great content coming from outside the majors today is unrivaled in the history of cinema.

Precisely this. It's what I'm a bit disappointed in this board for - all anyone presumes anyone is talking about is either Hollywood or the biggest marketed output from major studios. There is so, so, so much else to talk about, films to discuss, etc. but it's just discussion about those areas only primarily. I've given up trying to generate more interesting discussion on smaller or less heard of films because back when I used to do that the threads didn't get much attention and it takes work to really make a good thread about movies you want to recommend to people to see and if so few users are interested to begin with it sort of is a waste of time then. And I'm not saying to take away any discussion of superhero films or major movies like Mission: Impossible - Fallout, I would want these kinds of discussions to be in addition to what we already post about on the board. 

But it's crazy how many great movies come out now. It took me forever to vet all the films released in 2018. Tracking down festival only films and reviews/word of mouth on them is particularly difficult, particularly for foreign films that never left the festival circuit but I've discovered some insane gems every year. Movies just as good, often if not better than "classics" from decades past. Sure, they don't impact me like Fight Club did when I watched it as a 13 year old, but I can easily see how such-and-such film builds off of genre classics to improve upon them and make a better movie. I mean - Upgrade? That movie was fucking fantastic for a B-movie/genre film and yet it was so slickly made and well made and slickly produced that it makes 80's and 90's movies made in the same genre look fucking pedestrian by comparison, and that was just a random, mid-tier film, not a big budget film (not a small or indie film either, to be fair). 

But what most people see isn't The Rider or Shoplifters or Blindspotting. They want Venom, The Meg, etc (I'm speaking worldwide, not just America). I really wish we lived in a world where everyone was talking about Shoplifters, not whether Venom is a good movie (it's not, it's just a ridiculous movie). There's so much more to even discuss with Shoplifters, which is saying a lot of different things, than fucking Venom, which isn't saying much at all yet there are endless Youtube videos about Venom this, Venom easter eggs, Venom that, with thousands of people having viewed them. Try to find real discussion, even superficial discussion, about Shoplifters or The Rider? Good fucking luck.

People are depressing. 

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Precisely this. It's what I'm a bit disappointed in this board for - all anyone presumes anyone is talking about is either Hollywood or the biggest marketed output from major studios. There is so, so, so much else to talk about, films to discuss, etc. but it's just discussion about those areas only primarily. I've given up trying to generate more interesting discussion on smaller or less heard of films because back when I used to do that the threads didn't get much attention and it takes work to really make a good thread about movies you want to recommend to people to see and if so few users are interested to begin with it sort of is a waste of time then. And I'm not saying to take away any discussion of superhero films or major movies like Mission: Impossible - Fallout, I would want these kinds of discussions to be in addition to what we already post about on the board. 

But it's crazy how many great movies come out now. It took me forever to vet all the films released in 2018. Tracking down festival only films and reviews/word of mouth on them is particularly difficult, particularly for foreign films that never left the festival circuit but I've discovered some insane gems every year. 

Even the gigantic AMC 30 near me plays off the wall indie product. The Landmark theater in Houston constantly has great indie product. The access to great films in the cinema is amazing today, and it is even better at home. 

The tech revolution in cinema has also greatly increased the quality of independent productions, so there isn’t quite the wide gulf between studio and indie productions.

37 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But it's crazy how many great movies come out now. It took me forever to vet all the films released in 2018. Tracking down festival only films and reviews/word of mouth on them is particularly difficult, particularly for foreign films that never left the festival circuit but I've discovered some insane gems every year. Movies just as good, often if not better than "classics" from decades past. Sure, they don't impact me like Fight Club did when I watched it as a 13 year old, but I can easily see how such-and-such film builds off of genre classics to improve upon them and make a better movie. I mean - Upgrade? That movie was fucking fantastic for a B-movie/genre film and yet it was so slickly made and well made and slickly produced that it makes 80's and 90's movies made in the same genre look fucking pedestrian by comparison, and that was just a random, mid-tier film, not a big budget film (not a small or indie film either, to be fair). 

But what most people see isn't The Rider or Shoplifters or Blindspotting. They want Venom, The Meg, etc (I'm speaking worldwide, not just America). I really wish we lived in a world where everyone was talking about Shoplifters, not whether Venom is a good movie (it's not, it's just a ridiculous movie). There's so much more to even discuss with Shoplifters, which is saying a lot of different things, than fucking Venom, which isn't saying much at all yet there are endless Youtube videos about Venom this, Venom easter eggs, Venom that, with thousands of people having viewed them. Try to find real discussion, even superficial discussion, about Shoplifters or The Rider? Good fucking luck.

People are depressing. 

I would not mind a few threads about good movies that are under the radar.  I hate pretentious oscar bait movies, but there are some real good movies that go unseen that I would like to hear about.  

I just recently watched 'Shotgun Stories' a 2007 Michael Shannon movie that somehow I had no idea existed.  It is available on Amazon Prime and I recommend it if you are like I was and missed it.  

35 minutes ago, number305 said:

I would not mind a few threads about good movies that are under the radar.  I hate pretentious oscar bait movies, but there are some real good movies that go unseen that I would like to hear about.  

I just recently watched 'Shotgun Stories' a 2007 Michael Shannon movie that somehow I had no idea existed.  It is available on Amazon Prime and I recommend it if you are like I was and missed it.  

Shotgun Stories is great, the writer/director of it is Jeff Nichols, who went on to do the even better Take Shelter, Mud, Midnight Special, and Loving. I recommend all of them, especially if you enjoyed Shotgun Stories. I know you may be interested in hearing about under the radar films, but it's a lot of work just to have one or two users enter the discussion. Maybe I will do it, who knows, haha.

But see, even Shotgun Stories is mainstream, comparatively (to me), versus the kinds of movies I'm thinking about. But I grant that I go deep down the rabbit hole so I'll take anything I can get! I only say this to emphasize that I think most users here don't even know what I mean by indie. When I say indie I don't mean mid90's or The Hate U Give or Moonlight or something, I mean really small movies like Faces Places, This Is Our Land (aka Chez Nous), Notes on an Appearance, Lasso, Summer 1993, Knife + Heart, Dead Pigs, A Bread Factory: Parts One and Two, Tumbbad, Love After Love, Pincushion, Hearts Beat Loud, 24 Frames, Claire's Camera, etc.. None of these are "Oscar bait" movies and none intend to be pretentious though a few may come off that way to you, but they certainly aren't winning any Oscars or angling to. All those movies came out in 2018 alone and many of them are really good but only like 10 people have heard of these movies in total. And I didn't even list all the movies I want to see/that look good that are small films from 2018. There are even more! These are the kinds of movies I want to discuss, because these movies are saying a lot and no one is watching them and that's a damn shame. And if a discussion of these films isn't happening on a dedicated movie board I'm not sure where it is happening then. Such discussions should start in places like this and then grow, I would hope, but that doesn't happen unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A lot of people. Including this 31 year old white woman. 

Who you'd also call an entitled millennial :p 

Lol! My parents and grandparents love that swill :lol: My Grandfather used to empty a bag of peanuts into his Pepsi and drink it that way... the whole salty/sweet dynamic I guess. Pepsi was always too sweet for me.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol! My parents and grandparents love that swill :lol: My Grandfather used to empty a bag of peanuts into his Pepsi and drink it that way... the whole salty/sweet dynamic I guess. Pepsi was always too sweet for me.

I like both Coke and Pepsi, I might have a slight preference for Coke, but I enjoy a Pepsi. 

I also like RC Cola. 

But I'm just a member of the most entitled generation ever, what do I know?

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

And Boomers destroyed the economy for us all.

It's just really damn annoying hearing older people bitch about the younger generations. It's one of the stupidest arguments of all time.

toughen up snowflake.  (this was a joke... don't want to actually offend you.)

42 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Shotgun Stories is great, the writer/director of it is Jeff Nichols, who went on to do the even better Take Shelter, Mud, Midnight Special, and Loving. I recommend all of them, especially if you enjoyed Shotgun Stories. I know you may be interested in hearing about under the radar films, but it's a lot of work just to have one or two users enter the discussion. Maybe I will do it, who knows, haha.

But see, even Shotgun Stories is mainstream, comparatively (to me), versus the kinds of movies I'm thinking about. But I grant that I go deep down the rabbit hole so I'll take anything I can get! I only say this to emphasize that I think most users here don't even know what I mean by indie. When I say indie I don't mean mid90's or The Hate U Give or Moonlight or something, I mean really small movies like Faces Places, This Is Our Land (aka Chez Nous), Notes on an Appearance, Lasso, Summer 1993, Knife + Heart, Dead Pigs, A Bread Factory: Parts One and Two, Tumbbad, Love After Love, Pincushion, Hearts Beat Loud, 24 Frames, Claire's Camera, etc.. None of these are "Oscar bait" movies and none intend to be pretentious though a few may come off that way to you, but they certainly aren't winning any Oscars or angling to. All those movies came out in 2018 alone and many of them are really good but only like 10 people have heard of these movies in total. And I didn't even list all the movies I want to see/that look good that are small films from 2018. There are even more! These are the kinds of movies I want to discuss, because these movies are saying a lot and no one is watching them and that's a damn shame. And if a discussion of these films isn't happening on a dedicated movie board I'm not sure where it is happening then. Such discussions should start in places like this and then grow, I would hope, but that doesn't happen unfortunately. 

I have seen and like Mud.  Might need to look at some of the rest of those.  

I would probably like to see more independent movies... but there is so much out there these days and everyone has limited time.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Actually me neither because based On my nieces and nephews, I have a lot of hope for that generation and the one behind it.

:lol: Dem feels. :lol: 

Actually, I just came here wonder how a thread about Motley Crue got to 3 pages. Older people bitching about younger generations and arguments over when movies were better. Makes sense the OP died out pretty quickly, as do most thread that get past one page. :p 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Actually me neither because based On my nieces and nephews, I have a lot of hope for that generation and the one behind it.

tl;dr Baby boomers collectively do bad job at parenting, then shit on their millennial kids for the outcome.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I have seen and like Mud.  Might need to look at some of the rest of those.  

I would probably like to see more independent movies... but there is so much out there these days and everyone has limited time.

I'd rather people watch the movies I mentioned over Venom, The Meg, whatever blockbuster movie as I do understand everyone has limited time. But I don't foresee people doing that, they'll always go with what's marketed most and easiest to digest thematically and philosophically. Most people watch movies to actively turn their brains off, not learn something or push themselves in some way to higher truths or greater thematic or intellectual depth. I think anyone can do what they want, of course, but it's a shame to me that that's the de facto position of most people when it comes to art and entertainment. It's lazy to me.

It's why no one knows the movies I named but everyone watched Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Vice. Like, people think those are the "deep' movies, which is hilarious to me (I'm speaking in general, not the users on this board, even I will eventually watch those movies too). 

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'd rather people watch the movies I mentioned over Venom, The Meg, whatever blockbuster movie as I do understand everyone has limited time. But I don't foresee people doing that, they'll always go with what's marketed most and easiest to digest thematically and philosophically. Most people watch movies to actively turn their brains off, not learn something or push themselves in some way to higher truths or greater thematic or intellectual depth. I think anyone can do what they want, of course, but it's a shame to me that that's the de facto position of most people when it comes to art and entertainment. It's lazy to me.

It's why no one knows the movies I named but everyone watched Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Vice. Like, people think those are the "deep' movies, which is hilarious to me (I'm speaking in general, not the users on this board, even I will eventually watch those movies too). 

If it makes you feel better I have never seen the three movies you listed. 

Most of the movies I see are of the popcorn variety. I usually read for intellectual stimulation. But I am not against deep movies. 

Give me an assignment... I'll watch something you suggest this weekend. I'm going to be snowed in anyway. 

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I assume joke post? :p 

Any "true" movie's first concern should be narrative, characters, and story. Make me care first, then do the horror stuff, etc. In any genre. It's a basic rule of storytelling and indeed horror movies have improved by leaps and bounds in that area since the 80's. 

Not a joke, that's what makes / made horror movies good.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

If it makes you feel better I have never seen the three movies you listed. 

Most of the movies I see are of the popcorn variety. I usually read for intellectual stimulation. But I am not against deep movies. 

Give me an assignment... I'll watch something you suggest this weekend. I'm going to be snowed in anyway. 

Well, now we're talking. What are you in the mood for? That's always most important. Give me the vibe(s) you are feeling for the weekend and I'd be happy to try and give a good/real recommendation(s)! :)

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not a joke, that's what makes / made horror movies good.

Yeah, no. Story, characters, and acting are incredibly important to a genre that's difficult to even take seriously. Horror movies have improved a lot since I was young. 

Nothin but preferences at the end of the day, 70s and 80s for me are tops musically especially but also for movies. 90s had decent movies and early 2000s, but lately I haven't found near as many that I love like years past.

Mainstream music since I'd say about 2000 onward is atrocious, to me at least. I wasn't a fan of the 90s but I'd take that over what I've heard the last 20 years.. But that's all moot when the 70s and 80s musically still give me plenty to listen to 

Watched the trailer again and I'm super pumped, lookin forward to March 22nd

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, now we're talking. What are you in the mood for? That's always most important. Give me the vibe(s) you are feeling for the weekend and I'd be happy to try and give a good/real recommendation(s)! :)

Yeah, no. Story, characters, and acting are incredibly important to a genre that's difficult to even take seriously. Horror movies have improved a lot since I was young. 

How about a romcom.  

Kidding. Something not horror. I'll probably watch with the wife and she isn't in for scary movies. 

20 minutes ago, number305 said:

She likes comedy and I like crime/thrillers

Haha, well, okay, we can work with that. This is a bit of both and more, it has some pretty forward sex scenes, just be aware, but I think you should see the South Korean film The Handmaiden by director Chan-wook Park. It's more mainstream, but a lot of people haven't seen it, but it is a bit artsy and beautifully directed and made, so you'll get something more than the usual BS. It's a confusing film, so bear with it until you get through it all. 

I found it to be very touching and beautiful. There's some comedy and some thriller/mystery elements, but it's also got romance too and a great commentary on misogyny and sexism. Let me know what you think if you do watch it, and I can always recommend something else if you aren't feeling that one!