For some inexplciable reason, Netflix made a Mötley Crüe biopic (The Dirt)

Every successive generation is better than the previous generation because we are trending overall upwards on how we treat people generally, whether that be a minority, a woman, trans, etc. So by any demonstrable social values metric the decade you are living in is the best decade because for awhile now we've only been trending upwards, until Trump, who is trying to regress things back to previous eras, and um, yeah, it looks pretty bad so I don't know why anyone would want to go back.

Films have gotten better, more complex, savvier. Same with TV shows. Books. We have better technology and more of it than ever before, More diverse and multidunious stories are being told from more parts of the world than ever before. I mean, look how easy it is to travel to other countries now? I do more flight travel now than I ever did in the 90's or 2000's.

Music is the one area which is entirely relative to whatever genres were big during whichever era. But even then, there's great rock and roll music being made today, it's just that genre isn't big anymore so you have to find bands like Motley Crue (if you are into that kind of music) and new rock and roll bands' music is more interesting and more eclectic than what 80's rock bands were making. They just aren't making a name for themselves anymore because the audience isn't currently there. Currently the genres of music getting attention seems to be pop, rap, hip hop, R&B, techno/electronic/synth, etc. So that's why the big names you see in music aren't Motley Crue or Steppenwolf but Cardi B and 22 Savage. But the current decade is still the best decade for living overall. 

Sure, we got new problems to deal with (climate change, corrupt politicians, etc.) but anyone who says "such and such decade was better" aren't fucking paying attention. Movies were better in the 80's?

Please, I just watched Moonlight, First Man, and The Rider and those movies wouldn't even exist in the 80's. Let's take off our nostalgia goggles people. That doesn't mean there weren't worthwhile things from previous eras (because there's plenty to enjoy) but overall better? Fuck no.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Every successive generation is better than the previous generation because we are trending overall upwards on how we treat people generally, whether that be a minority, a woman, trans, etc. So by any demonstrable social values metric the decade you are living in is the best decade because for awhile now we've only been trending upwards, until Trump, who is trying to regress things back to previous eras, and um, yeah, it looks pretty bad so I don't know why anyone would want to go back.

Films have gotten better, more complex, savvier. Same with TV shows. Books. We have better technology and more of it than ever before, More diverse and multidunious stories are being told from more parts of the world than ever before. I mean, look how easy it is to travel to other countries now? I do more flight travel now than I ever did in the 90's or 2000's.

Sure, we got new problems to deal with (climate change, corrupt politicians, etc.) but anyone who says "such and such decade was better" aren't fucking paying attention. Movies were better in the 80's?

Please, I just watched Moonlight and The Rider and those movies wouldn't even exist in the 80's. Let's take off our nostalgia goggles people. That doesn't mean there weren't worthwhile things from previous eras (because there's plenty to enjoy) but overall better? Fuck no.

This can work both ways though. You can easily argue that movies like [your favorite 80s movie] aren't being made anymore and can't be made in today's climate due to risk-averse studios and budgets.

14 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This can work both ways though. You can easily argue that movies like [your favorite 80s movie] aren't being made anymore and can't be made in today's climate due to risk-averse studios and budgets.

No, I agree on that. I'm speaking about filmmaking techniques. We have more varied and diverse filmmaking techniques than we ever have had to edit, shoot, and direct films in stranger and more interesting ways than ever before. Previous filmmaking techniques are all still there if people want to use them, but now we have new tools that we didn't have before - and that goes for every field/industry.

In terms of what you're talking about, yeah, each era lends itself to different kinds of movies depending on what people are into in that era, etc. But every genre of film is still being made, so I don't buy the risk-averse studios argument. Most here just don't even scratch the surface of just how many good movies come out (particularly foreign films). You're just talking about Hollywood, which is a very, very small segment of the filmmaking industry in terms of the diversity of films one can obtain.

Hell, I just made my films of 2018 watch list and it's the longest list yet (and I've been making lists like this since 2007). It takes me a few days to find and vet every film that's worthy of consideration at the end of each year (and my standards are very broad and not harsh so a lot of films make the list, to be fair) but I'm still cutting films out (films that clearly don't deserve to be on the list) and I'll still never get to them all. And if I put that list here only like a few users would have heard of more than the 20 biggest movies on the list (please note the list has at least 75-100 movies on it). When you don't know where the good stuff is for the current generation, and you knew what the good stuff was in the previous generation, yeah, the current generation is gonna seem empty and not as good just based on the 10-30 movies most people hear about because basing what counts as "good stuff" on what is so popular or big you heard about it down the grapevine, yeah, that's not a very savvy way to find what's good in the current generation. If most movies I knew were like Venom, Transformers 5, The Meg, and Pacific Rim: Uprising but the movies you remember from, let's say, the 90's are movies like Fight Club, The Big Lebowski, Requiem for a Dream, etc. then yeah, the 90's look better.

But then suddenly I can rattle off 10 films from 2018 alone that are just as good as those aforementioned films, but unlike Fight Club or The Big Lebowski, you've never heard of them. For instance, go see Foxtrot - it's easily as good as any film you can find from previous generations, but everyone knows Fight Club and no one knows Foxtrot. But it's from 2017 and from the current generation. 

There are more great movies made each year now than at any other point in history, and those great movies are more widely available. People don’t know how good they have it because the market is financially dominated by fairly bland franchises as the landscape of distribution has changed. 

I do still hold a strong affinity for the output of Hollywood from the late 60s to late 70s though.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No, I agree on that. I'm speaking about filmmaking techniques. We have more varied and diverse filmmaking techniques than we ever have to edit, shoot, and direct films in stranger and more interesting ways than ever before. Previous filmmaking techniques are all still there if people want to use them, but now we have new tools that we didn't have before - and that goes for every field/industry.

In terms of what you're talking about, yeah, each era lends itself to different kinds of movies depending on what people are into in that era, etc. But every genre of film is still being made, so I don't buy the risk-averse studios argument. Most here just don't even scratch the surface of just how many good movies come out (particularly foreign films). You're just talking about Hollywood, which is a very very small segment of the filmmaking industry in terms of the diversity of films one can obtain. 

You're right I am mostly speaking about Hollywood. I think using indie/foreign/low-budget is kind of a moot point in this convo because that's always been where the most interesting film techniques are (whether that's the 80s, the 40s, or now) developed. So I'm sticking with Hollywood for my argument because it's where the vast majority of the money is. And Hollywood used to take risks. And what I mean by risk-averse is that we're still getting sequels and reboots and remakes to movies that were made in the 80s. I mean another fucking Terminator movie? Another Predator movie? Another Alien movie? Blade Runner? etc etc They keep making these because the ones made in the 80s were that fucking good, original, and monumental. I feel like up through the mid-90s Hollywood felt like taking risks because they had the money to do so but now it feels like they've grown bored of it. I don't know. I guess they all just saw the data that it's much easier to bank on an existing IP than coming up with something new and original.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

There are more great movies made each year now than at any other point in history, and those great movies are more widely available. People don’t know how good they have it because the market is financially dominated by fairly bland franchises as the landscape of distribution has changed. 

I do still hold a strong affinity for the output of Hollywood from the late 60s to late 70s though.

Exactly. You said it better.

I love the 60's/70's period, with David Lean and Alejandro Jodorowsky and Coppola and Malick and Leone etc. etc. Totally with you there. You can be partial to the kinds of movies from a certain generation but this is still the best generation (the current one). 

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

You're right I am mostly speaking about Hollywood. I think using indie/foreign/low-budget is kind of a moot point in this convo because that's always been where the most interesting film techniques are (whether that's the 80s, the 40s, or now) developed. So I'm sticking with Hollywood for my argument because it's where the vast majority of the money is. And Hollywood used to take risks. And what I mean by risk-averse is that we're still getting sequels and reboots and remakes to movies that were made in the 80s. I mean another fucking Terminator movie? Another Predator movie? Another Alien movie? Blade Runner? etc etc They keep making these because the ones made in the 80s were that fucking good, original, and monumental I feel like up through the mid-90s Hollywood felt like taking risks because they had the money to do so but now it feels like they've grown bored of it. I don't know. I guess they all just saw the data that it's much easier to bank on an existing IP than coming up with something new and original.

Yeah but the topic wasn't about Hollywood, but about broadly which generation is "best" and in that sense films overall are better than ever before. And indie/foreign/low budget has always been where the most interesting stuff has been made, but those kinds of films are now being made at an unprecedented rate and that's worth noting. 

As for Hollywood, you won't hear any argument out of me that in terms of blockbusters it's getting stale and while I enjoy superhero films I wish more other kinds of blockbusters were also being made. But the best overall generation is still the current one, Hollywood notwithstanding.

Also, Hollywood takes plenty of risks - they fund films like Green Room, Annihilation, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Detroit, Zero Dark Thirty, Munich, Mandy, First Man and so on and so forth. There's plenty of AA risky films being made. AAA though, I agree, much less risk for sure. But you're talking about one very specific thing when there's a wealth and plethora of films to enjoy. 

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Also, Hollywood takes plenty of risks - they fund films like Green Room, Annihilation, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Detroit, Zero Dark Thirty, Munich, Mandy, First Man and so on and so forth. There's plenty of AA risky films being made. AAA though, I agree, much less risk for sure. But you're talking about one very specific thing when there's a wealth and plethora of films to enjoy. 

None of these were better than Aliens. I win.  :P

But seriously you're right. First Man was probably my favorite from last year followed by Annihilation. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

None of these were better than Aliens. I win.  :P

But seriously you're right. First Man was probably my favorite from last year followed by Annihilation. 

Haha, Aliens had more of an impact on you because it was all new to you then. Trust me, kids now who are the age you were when you first saw Aliens; Annihilation is their Aliens (or whatever movie you want to insert). You talk to actual teenagers, the original Star Wars trilogy are movies they like a lot, but it's The Last Jedi that is their The Empire Strikes Back (this isn't perfectly analogous but you take my meaning). 

The films that impacted us will be the films we watched as kids, teens and early 20 somethings. Whatever decade you were those ages (for you, Aliens, Terminator, etc.) will be the "great movie decade" but objective analysis shows movies are better today and more of them than ever today but we're adults so the films don't impact us like the films of our youth, or like anything from our youth.

But the current generation is objectively the best one. The decades that impacted us are just important to us individually.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Haha, Aliens had more of an impact on you because it was all new to you then. Trust me, kids now who are the age you were when you first saw Aliens; Annihilation is their Aliens (or whatever movie you want to insert). You talk to actual teenagers, the original Star Wars trilogy are movies they like a lot, but it's The Last Jedi that is their The Empire Strikes Back (this isn't perfectly analogous but you take my meaning). 

The films that impacted us will be the films we watched as kids, teens and early 20 somethings. Whatever decade you were those ages (for you, Aliens, Terminator, etc.) will be the "great movie decade" but objective analysis shows movies are better today and more of them than ever today but we're adults so the films don't impact us like the films of our youth, or like anything from our youth.

But the current generation is objectively the best one. The decades that impacted us are just important to us individually.

...but why male models?

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Exactly. You said it better.

I love the 60's/70's period, with David Lean and Alejandro Jodorowsky and Coppola and Malick and Leone etc. etc. Totally with you there. You can be partial to the kinds of movies from a certain generation but this is still the best generation (the current one). 

I think what makes that period special is filmmakers who previously had been limited by the production code being newly unchained and really desiring to push the boundaries into places that their contemporaries in Europe had been able to for decades. Simultaneously you have young filmmakers who are growing into who they are with this first generation of American film production post production code. A really exciting time.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

No, I agree on that. I'm speaking about filmmaking techniques. We have more varied and diverse filmmaking techniques than we ever have had to edit, shoot, and direct films in stranger and more interesting ways than ever before. Previous filmmaking techniques are all still there if people want to use them, but now we have new tools that we didn't have before - and that goes for every field/industry.

In terms of what you're talking about, yeah, each era lends itself to different kinds of movies depending on what people are into in that era, etc. But every genre of film is still being made, so I don't buy the risk-averse studios argument. Most here just don't even scratch the surface of just how many good movies come out (particularly foreign films). You're just talking about Hollywood, which is a very, very small segment of the filmmaking industry in terms of the diversity of films one can obtain.

Hell, I just made my films of 2018 watch list and it's the longest list yet (and I've been making lists like this since 2007). It takes me a few days to find and vet every film that's worthy of consideration at the end of each year (and my standards are very broad and not harsh so a lot of films make the list, to be fair) but I'm still cutting films out (films that clearly don't deserve to be on the list) and I'll still never get to them all. And if I put that list here only like a few users would have heard of more than the 20 biggest movies on the list (please note the list has at least 75-100 movies on it). When you don't know where the good stuff is for the current generation, and you knew what the good stuff was in the previous generation, yeah, the current generation is gonna seem empty and not as good just based on the 10-30 movies most people hear about because basing what counts as "good stuff" on what is so popular or big you heard about it down the grapevine, yeah, that's not a very savvy way to find what's good in the current generation. If most movies I knew were like Venom, Transformers 5, The Meg, and Pacific Rim: Uprising but the movies you remember from, let's say, the 90's are movies like Fight Club, The Big Lebowski, Requiem for a Dream, etc. then yeah, the 90's look better.

But then suddenly I can rattle off 10 films from 2018 alone that are just as good as those aforementioned films, but unlike Fight Club or The Big Lebowski, you've never heard of them. For instance, go see Foxtrot - it's easily as good as any film you can find from previous generations, but everyone knows Fight Club and no one knows Foxtrot. But it's from 2017 and from the current generation. 

I would put:  Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade, The Terminator, ET, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Die Hard, Aliens, Stand by Me, Gremlins, Princess Bride, Blade Runner, The Shining, The Thing, Full Metal Jacket, Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Raging Bull, Scarface, BIG, Spinal Tap, Predator, First Blood, Coming to America, Spaceballs, Caddyshack, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Escape from New York, Broadcast News, Lethal Weapon, Big Trouble in Little China, Totoro, Blues Brothers, RoboCop, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Airplane... lots more

up against any lineup of movies from this decade.  

Things are not getting better all the time.  I think that social media and the internet have severely shortened peoples attention span and generally made people  dumber.  People read less - fiction sales have fallen every year since 2013.  I love the superhero movie genre but there is no doubt that those movies have pushed out many other 'good ideas' from even getting a chance to be made.  

My 2 cents

Music

The 60's are hard to top when it comes to music in general. Motown alone comes in stomps over everything , Country has Cline,Campbell ,Cash, and Jones in their prime.We also get to see the start of proto metal and more of the off the wall stuff like PF's Piper/Saucer and P funks start with Afro Futurism.

Film

Sci fi/Horror  - the 70's/80's are tied, both era's made God tier films in the genres. TCSM,Alien,Jaws,Body  Snatchers,Stalker,Blade Runner,The Thing,Terminator,They Live,Mad Max, Clockwork Orange,Predator,Dawn Of The Dead,The Shining

Action/Adventure - I know people love the 80's when it comes to these films but I find so many are just brain dead dumb. The current era of John Wick films, Nolans Batman Trilogy,Mission Impossible films,Dredd,Fury Road have great action with good if not great stories.

38 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

Is this the time and place to say that I think Aliens sucks and it's the most baffling adoration for a movie I've ever seen?

Cameron took a nightmarishly smart creature and dumbed it down to the level of a pack of wild dogs. Had the Colonial Marines fought a  dozen of the aliens from Alien they would have been wiped out in a few hours. He knee capped a them for spectacle sake. 

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

You looking for some kind of weird blend of Requim for a Dream and a porno?

Also Straight Out of Compton was a pretty hard R

Rock stars don’t real lead PG-13 rated lives.

And I’m talking specifically about rock biopics. Hip hop biopics are always R rated as far as I can tell. Rock biopics almost always are family friendly for some reason.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Cameron took a nightmarishly smart creature and dumbed it down to the level of a pack of wild dogs. Had the Colonial Marines fought a  dozen of the aliens from Alien they would have been wiped out in a few hours. He knee capped a them for spectacle sake. 

But... They were wiped out 

Movies are most definitely getting better. Yeah you can argue that the top 10 movies from one decade are better than the top 10 from this decade but at that point it’s all semantics and personal preference because you’re talking about the best of the best. I’ve watched over 100 movies each year the last few years and there are sooooo many good fucking movies. Not saying there are a ton of films better than Full Metal Jacket, but we are getting an impressive amount of quantity AND quality. 

A lot of old movies are nostalgic and groundbreaking so  they’ll always be held in a special light but there have been plenty of movies that are just as good or even better than them. Nightmare on Elm Street is an all time classic but it’s irresponsible to say there haven’t been better movies from the same genre since. Yeah, they use that influence to reach those heights, but it is what it is. They’re better. 

6 hours ago, johnny said:

Movies are most definitely getting better. Yeah you can argue that the top 10 movies from one decade are better than the top 10 from this decade but at that point it’s all semantics and personal preference because you’re talking about the best of the best. I’ve watched over 100 movies each year the last few years and there are sooooo many good fucking movies. Not saying there are a ton of films better than Full Metal Jacket, but we are getting an impressive amount of quantity AND quality. 

A lot of old movies are nostalgic and groundbreaking so  they’ll always be held in a special light but there have been plenty of movies that are just as good or even better than them. Nightmare on Elm Street is an all time classic but it’s irresponsible to say there haven’t been better movies from the same genre since. Yeah, they use that influence to reach those heights, but it is what it is. They’re better. 

We could have a pretty good discussion about this.  There are lots more movies being made now for several reasons.  For one there are a ton more outlets now than there were in the 80's.  Also making a movie can be done in high quality for much less money (factoring for inflation).  The tools between cameras and computer technology has made film making accessible to the masses in almost the same way that a hit music album can now be produced from an ipad.  

Some of my posts in this thread went a little over the top... but I was basically responding to the dumb statement that the '80s were garbage'.  There has been and will continue to be great content from each decade.

It's interesting to hear so many folks say movies are getting better when whole genres of films have pretty much ceased to exist... where is the modern adult thriller that isn't a straight to streaming B movie? The Crime Thriller? The Political movie? The family drama? Yes a lot of movies are being made today, but are they consistently being made with the same level of craft that they were in the past? Superhero flicks, sci-fi films and horror films ar flourishing for sure, but other genres have definitely suffered.

Also with the pressure to appeal to as broad an audience as possible,  the content of films has been diluted and watered down and filmmakers,  producers and studios are much more risk averse.

In a lot of ways the film industry has changed and improved... more access, more diversity,  less limits on creative vision from a technical standpoint. But in a lot of ways it's taken some steps backwards. To say that the films of today are "just better" than they were before is not only misguided it's just wrong. Some genres yes... others? Nope.

Oh and there were several users on this board who argued with me that filmmaking hasn't changed dramatically in the last 30 years or so... glad to see reason has prevailed :p

EDIT: and do a quick Google search for "best decade for movies " there's been PLENTY of discussion regarding the topic, and you'll often find the 90' and 70's being the most often debated choices which is interesting for its own reasons.  This decade, I will admit, has been strong though and is ending on a high note it seems.

17 hours ago, number305 said:

I would put:  Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade, The Terminator, ET, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Die Hard, Aliens, Stand by Me, Gremlins, Princess Bride, Blade Runner, The Shining, The Thing, Full Metal Jacket, Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Raging Bull, Scarface, BIG, Spinal Tap, Predator, First Blood, Coming to America, Spaceballs, Caddyshack, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Escape from New York, Broadcast News, Lethal Weapon, Big Trouble in Little China, Totoro, Blues Brothers, RoboCop, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Airplane... lots more

up against any lineup of movies from this decade.  

Things are not getting better all the time.  I think that social media and the internet have severely shortened peoples attention span and generally made people  dumber.  People read less - fiction sales have fallen every year since 2013.  I love the superhero movie genre but there is no doubt that those movies have pushed out many other 'good ideas' from even getting a chance to be made.  

This is simply untrue. Kids and teenagers today consume more media at a faster rate with a better understanding of it than people our age. Sure, each generation has its share of problems unique to that generation (social media consumption and adoration, in this case) but all those movies you listed I can top.

Nightmare on Elm Street? The Witch, Apostle, Hereditary, Get Out, etc. There are tons of better horror movies today. Planes Trains and Automobiles? The Death of Stalin and In the Loop are better, wittier comedies. I could do this all day. Of course each generation has their peak output, my point is that we have more peak output now than we ever have and the complexity of the themes and ideas in films are more interesting that films from the past.

I mean, this is the golden age of TV, for instance. And we have more people making more films than ever before. It's not to take away from older films that were seminal, but no, I could top all those films easily with films from today that yes, owe a debt to these films, but improved upon them in innumerable ways, and with modern filmmaking techniques that make them more interesting to watch too. 

I just watched First Man and Apollo 13 (from 1995) back to back. Apollo 13 is still a great movie, but it's so obvious. All the emotional beats are obvious, the James Horner soundtrack is obvious, and the complexity of the characters - they each have one strength and one flaw the film hammers over and over again. It's a great, soaring film but First Man, Interstellar, Gravity, etc. have it beat easily. We can simply get away with more in our art today than ever before, and that's simply made the stories being told more interesting by proxy.

Where's the crime thriller? I mean, it's right there: Widows, Destroyer, BlacKkKlansman, Sicario 1 and 2, Triple Nine, The Old Man and the Gun, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Shoplifters, The Hate U Give, The Sisters Brothers, I could go on. That's just from mostly 2018, and those are the good ones (there are more good ones).

Political movie? I mean: BlacKkKlansman, Vice, The Favourite, Sorry to Bother You, The Front Runner. That's just 2018.

Family drama? I mean: Ladybird, Lean On Pete, The Rider, Eighth Grade, mid90's, etc. Some genres might be suffering but any movie made in a certain genre today is made really well. These movies are all out there, and I'm naming the big ones, I haven't even gotten to the indie or foreign films.  

Also, Horror movies from the 80s are still arguably better. In the 80s you could see tons of blood and even some boobs, all that really mattered was something was gonna die at the hands of some monster.

Horror movies today are well produced and have try hard acting and stories but they lack the luster of what a true horror movie is.

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well mention actual good horror movies, like Green Room, Dream Home, House of the Devil and It Follows :talkhand:

Those too for sure. I mean, Cabin in the Woods, etc. 

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also, Horror movies from the 80s are still arguably better. In the 80s you could see tons of blood and even some boobs, all that really mattered was something was gonna die at the hands of some monster.

Horror movies today are well produced and have try hard acting and stories but they lack the luster of what a true horror movie is.

I assume joke post? :p 

Any "true" movie's first concern should be narrative, characters, and story. Make me care first, then do the horror stuff, etc. In any genre. It's a basic rule of storytelling and indeed horror movies have improved by leaps and bounds in that area since the 80's. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's interesting to hear so many folks say movies are getting better when whole genres of films have pretty much ceased to exist... where is the modern adult thriller that isn't a straight to streaming B movie? The Crime Thriller? The Political movie? The family drama? Yes a lot of movies are being made today, but are they consistently being made with the same level of craft that they were in the past? Superhero flicks, sci-fi films and horror films ar flourishing for sure, but other genres have definitely suffered.

Also with the pressure to appeal to as broad an audience as possible,  the content of films has been diluted and watered down and filmmakers,  producers and studios are much more risk averse.

This take is only true if you are speaking just of the output of the major studios. The amount of great content coming from outside the majors today is unrivaled in the history of cinema.

9 minutes ago, number305 said:

Well at least we can all agree that Pepsi tastes like piss and Coke rules.  

One of my main reasons for hating Vegas is that it is Pepsi everywhere.