BO Report: Alita Battle Angel outperforms expectations on worst Presidents' Day weekend since 2004

SaysWho?

Alita made $61M in China in it's opening weekend, more than doubling its US bow. That brings its global total to $263M. Deadline notes that Alita is pacing 3% over Ready Player One, which ended its run with $445M overseas. If Alita can gross something similar, with a roughly $100M US take, it won't have been a complete disaster, but it's far from a guarantee of a sequel.

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Alita made $61M in China in it's opening weekend, more than doubling its US bow. That brings its global total to $263M. Deadline notes that Alita is pacing 3% over Ready Player One, which ended its run with $445M overseas. If Alita can gross something similar, with a roughly $100M US take, it won't have been a complete disaster, but it's far from a guarantee of a sequel.

Maybe the studios will give it a sequel if James Cameron pushes hard enough for it. 

On 2/20/2019 at 8:49 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

It looks ok but there have been zero successful live action anime adaptations, so I guess it's been lifted because things like Aeon Flux, Kite and Ghost in the Shell exist. :p

There was a Kite live action movie? 

You know, I didn’t hate Ghost in the Shell. I thought it was ok. It made me want to watch the laughing man season of the show, but I thought it was an ok movie adaptation. 

45 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

There was a Kite live action movie? 

You know, I didn’t hate Ghost in the Shell. I thought it was ok. It made me want to watch the laughing man season of the show, but I thought it was an ok movie adaptation. 

There was, with Samuel L Jackson. Had anyone seen it? It didn't look good at all. I wasn't at all a fan of the anime movie, so I had no interest in watching this adaption that also looked awful.

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

There was, with Samuel L Jackson. Had anyone seen it? It didn't look good at all. I wasn't at all a fan of the anime movie, so I had no interest in watching this adaption that also looked awful.

I have seen it and it's not great because they basically have to make up a story and have to strip out the sexual abuse angle (which you figure would happen) so it completely changes the character and what they made up wasn't great either. Though they do pay homage to the bathroom shootout scene.

For those interested (which is probably no one) I have a more in depth review on letterboxd

https://letterboxd.com/bludgeoner86/film/kite-2014/

and if you want to dare to compare I also reviewed the original before I saw the live action one: https://letterboxd.com/bludgeoner86/film/kite/