My journey of buying an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ and selling my Sony GDM FW900 CRT

Spork3245

Okay, so, G-Sync is amazing. Like... holy shit. On my CRT, anything below around 45fps or so looked choppy and it was fairly annoying - ideally you needed 65-80 (80hz refresh rate on my monitor in it's highest res) for it to seem "60 fps smooth" (ie: 60fps on a console game - the high refresh rate of the monitor means 40 fps on my CRT is equivalent to the smoothness of 30fps on my TV, if that makes sense). I know that the the inherent motion blur, however slight, on all LCD/LED/Plasma/OLEDs made things like a locked 30fps much more tolerable for a TV, but G-Sync makes a huge difference even still. 

When using the HDMI connection on the new monitor, obviously there's no G-Sync, so, while lower fps was more tolerable, there was still a noticeable degradation in smoothness once when dropping below/around 55fps, especially below 50. However, now, with G-Sync, basically anything above just 40fps looks 60fps smooth. No, really. Also, I don't know how/why, but it also seems to almost eliminate the micro-stuttering I've lived with on SLI for years now. Crazy.

I ran Shadow of the Tomb Raider, maxed minus HDR and AA set to the base SMAA, 4k resolution, on my SLI 980 TIs, average fps is around 44 or so, which would normally be barely acceptable and "time to turn a bunch of settings down", but, with G-Sync, any area that was above about 40fps, looked indistinguishable from when the framerate was higher (in the 50-60 range). GTAV, same thing, seems to stay around 45-50-ish, but is indistinguishable from if I purposely look at an empty area the boosts the framerate to 60+.

VRR is going to be a HUGE boon for gaming once it hits TVs.

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

OLO

So, I got my new DP cable, same thing is happening on FC5 when I enable HDR... Apparently, my 980 Tis only support DP 1.2 which cannot do HDR, which explains the limitation of 98hz on the monitor as well (and also why the PC is crashing and not just the monitor locking up). Oddly enough, HDR works fine through the HDMI connection since it's an HDMI 2.0 connection :lol: ... :cry: 

My 2080 Ti should be here on Tuesday, though

Hang in the man, change is hard! :p

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is BFV worth $20? My card didn’t come with the free codes, I guess the seller on Amazon wasn’t part of the promo, but I can get one if the codes from eBay.

You will get around 5-6 hours from playing the campaign. Its a visual show piece, so I think 20.00 is reasonable, 60? Probably not! 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You will get around 5-6 hours from playing the campaign. Its a visual show piece, so I think 20.00 is reasonable, 60? Probably not! 

Yea, $20 seems about right for how often I’ll play it (I played the crap out of 1942, BF2 and 3, I played like 2 matches in 4 before giving up due to servers continually dropping me and being buggy as hell, didn’t bother with BF1). I messaged the Amazon seler about the game codes, just giving them a day to write me back before buying the BFV code.

I keep going back and forth on getting a $30-35 Anthem code too, but something tells me that I’ll play it for 1-2 days then never go back to it. :p 

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, $20 seems about right for how often I’ll play it (I played the crap out of 1942, BF2 and 3, I played like 2 matches in 4 before giving up due to servers continually dropping me and being buggy as hell, didn’t bother with BF1). I messaged the Amazon seler about the game codes, just giving them a day to write me back before buying the BFV code.

I keep going back and forth on getting a $30-35 Anthem code too, but something tells me that I’ll play it for 1-2 days then never go back to it. :p 

I like anthem, but you have to know what you are buying. It’s 40-60 hours of game right now, more to come.

39 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I like anthem, but you have to know what you are buying. It’s 40-60 hours of game right now, more to come.

I enjoyed the beta/demo/stess test/whatever the F that was two weekends in a row. But, reviews are kinda saying that there’s really nothing else to the game besides more areas/enemies. I dunno

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I enjoyed the beta/demo/stess test/whatever the F that was two weekends in a row. But, reviews are kinda saying that there’s really nothing else to the game besides more areas/enemies. I dunno

I bought EA’s subscription service so I haven’t felt cheated. They have a lot of titles now in the service. You should take a look and see if it adds up to 100.00 of value in your estimation.

I’m debating on doing a refund on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I only purchased it because it was 50% off and I thought it was an RTX game - I barely played the previous two games. I keep going back and forth on this, though. Like... maybe I’ll be more into this one than the previous two?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m debating on doing a refund on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I only purchased it because it was 50% off and I thought it was an RTX game - I barely played the previous two games. I keep going back and forth on this, though. Like... maybe I’ll be more into this one than the previous two?

I would probably go refund. Those games always go on sale. And I feel like I heard there is 6-8 hours of exploration gameplay before you even get to any gun play. Swear I heard that somewhere so I'm sticking to it. 

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

IMHO, it was the weakest of the three games.

11 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I would probably go refund. Those games always go on sale. And I feel like I heard there is 6-8 hours of exploration gameplay before you even get to any gun play. Swear I heard that somewhere so I'm sticking to it. 

TBF, I got it on sale for $30 :p 

Yea, I’ll just do a refund tonight/tomorrow.

Refunded Tomb Raider and got an AC: Odyssey code from eBay for $22 (I rented it from GameFly for Xbone but only have 2-4ish hours into it as RDR2 came out and I put AC:O on the back burner :p ). I def think I need a 16 thread CPU for this game, framerate seems to stay around 46-ish in the benchmark at 4k regardless of AA (AA set to the max level drops it to 43) - dropping to 1440p got the fps to a 52 average (regardless of AA) so it's not even worth dropping the resolution down IMO. As mentioned previously, G-Sync seems to keep basically any fps above 40 super-smooth, almost emulating a 60+ constant, but the issue is that the framerate on the benchmark seems to be a constant shift going up and down continuously by 12+fps. It's so weird, it doesn't stay at a constant level and is always fluctuating which means even GSync doesn't keep the game smooth; it's a constant and rapid bounce which makes the game micro-stutter. I haven't actually played it yet, though, just ran the benchmark a handful of times. I may need to cap the fps at 30? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...