My journey of buying an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ and selling my Sony GDM FW900 CRT

Spork3245

I keep going back and forth on a new monitor and possibly a new GPU. I was planning on going for an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ, but the $1500 price tag keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger... that’s when I remembered nVidia now supports Fressync :p . Soooo, I was wondering, what’s the best monitor in the Freesync world (I’d prefer 4k, HDR is a must)? How does it compare to the PG27UQ?

I know that the BenQ ex3501R is highly rated, but it’s an ultra-wide 1440p display.

I don’t think there is a good 4K HDR monitor other than what you mentioned. 

I haven’t seen a FreeSync monitor that is even close to 1,000 nits of brightness....

Note:

As a comparison, LG OLEDs are ~540 nits (and have been criticized for not being bright enough).  Most Freesync HDR monitors I have looked at are in the 300-350 range.

16 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

What is HDR and how can I get it on PC?

An interesting article I found on HDR monitors from RPS.

Yea, I was asking on /monitors on Reddit and learned about HDR-400/600 vs 1000 (1000 being more-or-less what TVs use). It seems that 400 will give a little bit of the “better brightness/contrast” effect of glaring lights, but is ultimately not that great. 600 has more of an actual visual effect/impact but still is still noticeably “off” compared to the 1000 standard (and, to my knowledge, there are only two available monitors that use 600, both from Acer using the same panel - one being GSync for $1300, the other being Freesync for $900).

Also, it seems that most, if not all, HDR Freesync monitors can either be used in “HDR-mode” or “Freesync-mode” and cannot do Freesync and HDR simultaneously... which makes buying one completely worthless.

12 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

If I was in the market for a monitor, I would try to scrape together the $$$ for an ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ -- or figure out a way of waiting for better/cheaper options to become available.

It’s more that if I buy the ASUS PG27UQ that I know I’ll also want to replace my SLI 980 Tis with a 2080 Ti, so it turns into a $2600+ buy :p 

God damn it. An eBay store that sells the monitor put one up for $1399 and I pulled the trigger on it. It's new, but the box was badly damaged so they opened it up and pulled out the monitor to make sure it works. No damage to the monitor except the back panel that clips on is missing one of the mounting clips (they verified that it still clips on and holds just fine as there are 7 others). I messaged them to ask if it had any dead pixels and they plugged it back in and ran a test; no dead pixels. It has 30-day free returns and they actually called me after I purchased to let me know that if anything is wrong with the monitor to just contact them and they'll set-up the return, but beyond that mounting clip it seems to be 100% fine with not even a single scuff on it anywhere. It also has the full warranty from ASUS as it's completely new otherwise.

Sooo... yeah, they already sent me the tracking, it should be here between Thursday and Saturday.

God help me :cry: 

I was asking Reddit /Monitors page what I should do with my Sony GDM FW900 CRT, like if I should throw it out (joking) and everyone is replying "if you throw it out, r/monitors will explode/burn to the ground" and "DO NOT THROW IT OUT! SELL IT OR AT LEAST GIVE IT AWAY TO SOMEONE! ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!" :lol: 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I was asking Reddit /Monitors page what I should do with my Sony GDM FW900 CRT, like if I should throw it out (joking) and everyone is replying "if you throw it out, r/monitors will explode/burn to the ground" and "DO NOT THROW IT OUT! SELL IT OR AT LEAST GIVE IT AWAY TO SOMEONE! ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!" :lol: 

Post an update saying you threw it away because it was too big of a hassle to ship/sell it.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

So, in reality, your new monitor only cost $400?  :)

One sold on eBay about 2 months ago for $1800... so possibly -$400 :lol:

I wonder if I should hold onto it for a bit as CRT values are only going to rise as good condition working ones become more rare

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

One sold on eBay about 2 months ago for $1800... so possibly -$400 :lol:

I wonder if I should hold onto it for a bit as CRT values are only going to rise as good condition working ones become more rare

I dunno, I've always seen as the higher prices get the less people are likely to buy them.

If its fetching a fair price that entertains you selling it, I'd sell it. 

15 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I dunno, I've always seen as the higher prices get the less people are likely to buy them.

If its fetching a fair price that entertains you selling it, I'd sell it. 

The GDM FW900 is basically a unicorn, let alone one like mine that doesn’t have screen/anti-glare scratches or burn-in. People on r/CRTGaming said that prices are likely to keep climbing since no one makes CRTs anymore and demand continues to rise with all the 90s kids grown up and wanting to retro game. :daydream: Apparently only crazy rich people wind up getting the good condition ones as is :lol: 

Honestly, this monitor looks better than my Panny VT50 Plasma ever has in terms of color accuracy and overall picture quality. My B7 OLED w/Dolby Vision enabled is the first thing that arguably looks better, but even then, the CRT has a 1:1 input lag and no ghosting or blurring, as such, most people on r/Monitors or r/CRTGaming will heavily argue that this monitor is still superior to OLED or even the PG27UQ I just bought. It’s actually crazy that CRTs still haven’t been surpassed in a lot ways so many years later. Micro LED may finally catch up, though.

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The GDM FW900 is basically a unicorn, let alone one like mine that doesn’t have screen/anti-glare scratches or burn-in. People on r/CRTGaming said that prices are likely to keep climbing since no one makes CRTs anymore and demand continues to rise with all the 90s kids grown up and wanting to retro game. :daydream: Apparently only crazy rich people wind up getting the good condition ones as is :lol: 

Honestly, this monitor looks better than my Panny VT50 Plasma ever has in terms of color accuracy and overall picture quality. My B7 OLED w/Dolby Vision enabled is the first thing that arguably looks better, but even then, the CRT has a 1:1 input lag and no ghosting or blurring, as such, most people on r/Monitors or r/CRTGaming will heavily argue that this monitor is still superior to OLED or even the PG27UQ I just bought. It’s actually crazy that CRTs still haven’t been surpassed in a lot ways so many years later. Micro LED may finally catch up, though.

At the price its already at you'd have to be pretty dedicated to retro gaming to want to pay that high of a price. I'm not saying you won't find a buyer as prices continue to climb, just that as it climbs the list of potential buyers drops, in most cases drastically. 

EDIT: Just noticed that only 2 have sold on eBay recently. However, the one in Bulgaria sold for 6 grand. I'd recommend selling it there lol

23 minutes ago, Nokt said:

At the price its already at you'd have to be pretty dedicated to retro gaming to want to pay that high of a price. I'm not saying you won't find a buyer as prices continue to climb, just that as it climbs the list of potential buyers drops, in most cases drastically. 

EDIT: Just noticed that only 2 have sold on eBay recently. However, the one in Bulgaria sold for 6 grand. I'd recommend selling it there lol

I guess I'm looking for hungrier people as the unicorn turns into a Pegasus :D 

The people on r/CRTGaming who, I'm guessing, wanted it were trying to say $250-350, but then others chimed in saying "if it's your current monitor and you're still gaming on it, then it's probably in great condition (or as great as a monitor of this age can be), so you'd be best off throwing it on eBay and letting the market decide" followed by more people linking to old eBay sales. The ones going for under $500 seem to be damaged or are having issues... and yet are still selling for $250-500 :lol: 

Anyway, the PG27UQ is set-up:

62077-AD1-8-FFC-496-A-BB33-7617-A4470-E7

BUT because it was open-box from them testing it, they mixed up the included cables and I got two of the USB 3.0 hub connector cables instead of the Display Port cable. :| Since, I don't have any DP cables, I'm using the HDMI cable it came with, so no G-Sync or refresh rate above 60hz for me until Amazon delivers my cable tomorrow.

I'd pop the display port cable off my Vive but it looks like the connection to the base-thing is a mini port so... :/ 

Oh well, it's better than the power cable being what's missing! :lol: 

So, I run the display port cable that came today, enable GSync, refresh rate is limited to 98hz and defaulting to 60hz, weird, but whatever, I turn on FC5, go to enable HDR and the screen freezes, can't seem to ctrl+alt+del back to desktop. Huh. Restart the computer, start FC5, same thing happens... Restart, this time use extended monitor so FC5 starts on the Sony, it's fine, use the in game settings to switch to the ROG PG27UQ, it's fine, go to enable HDR, same thing.
Then, it hits me. I go to my Amazon order and check the Amazon Basics DP cable I bought... sift through the description (deep in the damn description)... it's a 1.2 cable. :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| 

Looking around, I'm, not even sure if Best Buy even friggen sells 1.4 DP cables as the ones that are listed as in store say 4k 60hz which would be 1.2 or 1.3. :|  I ordered another from Amazon, this time made sure it was a 1.4 cable, will be here on Saturday, but I'll go try Walmart tomorrow as they have the same one I just ordered from Amazon (though, for $8 more) :| 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Looking around, I'm, not even sure if Best Buy even friggen sells 1.4 DP cables as the ones that are listed as in store say 4k 60hz which would be 1.2 or 1.3. :|  I ordered another from Amazon, this time made sure it was a 1.4 cable, will be here on Saturday, but I'll go try Walmart tomorrow as they have the same one I just ordered from Amazon (though, for $8 more) :| 

I got this one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0767F5DNR/

OLO

So, I got my new DP cable, same thing is happening on FC5 when I enable HDR... Apparently, my 980 Tis only support DP 1.2 which cannot do HDR, which explains the limitation of 98hz on the monitor as well (and also why the PC is crashing and not just the monitor locking up). Oddly enough, HDR works fine through the HDMI connection since it's an HDMI 2.0 connection :lol: ... :cry: 

My 2080 Ti should be here on Tuesday, though