How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Tomatometer Watch

Pikachu

I love this series, and I'm so glad to hear that it ends well. I think the trailers look great.

I've always been surprised that these films didn't do more at the box office. The first only made $217M and the second shrank that to $177M. It does better overseas, which is likely the reason we're even getting a third film.

44 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I love this series, and I'm so glad to hear that it ends well. I think the trailers look great.

I've always been surprised that these films didn't do more at the box office. The first only made $217M and the second shrank that to $177M. It does better overseas, which is likely the reason we're even getting a third film.

I remember being very excited that there are a Dreamworks film that looked to really be worth watching when How To Train Your Dragon came out. When I watched it, I felt it had a predictable but decent story that really utilized its dragons for the 3D effects over the story. So I never had the urge to see its sequels.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

those are "bad" numbers... hell the emoji movie made that much.

thank goodness for the overseas markets then... Roger Deakins animated work is just too good to miss.

Can't say I watched any of that stuff, but I didn't feel at a loss when watching How to Train Dragon 2. I'm sure the directors wouldn't expect people seeing the third film to have watched all that material.

Edit: Reading through the descriptions of the stuff, it seems that cartoon show only covers the events between the first movie and the second. The short films are mostly supplementary. There is no bridge between 2nd and 3rd movie.

36 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Can't say I watched any of that stuff, but I didn't feel at a loss when watching How to Train Dragon 2. I'm sure the directors wouldn't expect people seeing the third film to have watched all that material.

Edit: Reading through the descriptions of the stuff, it seems that cartoon show only covers the events between the first movie and the second. The short films are mostly supplementary. There is no bridge between 2nd and 3rd movie.

Sounds promising, but I am a bit of a completionist. :p 

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Did anyone ever watch the four short films or the 8 season Cartoon Network, then Netflix animated series? Apparently all of that material is canon and part of the bigger story. I haven't seen them and was curious how essential they are. Anybody know?

I have never seen 1 or 2, but my girl & the kids LOVE them so I took them all to a screening on February 2nd.  I didn't feel the first two films were essential to understand the 3rd :p  So you should be good without watching the tv stuff. 

The Hidden World was lots of fun though. I look forward to finally sitting down to watch the other two. 

5 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Officially certified fresh! It joins Toy Story and Kung Fu Panda as the only animated trilogies to have 3 certified fresh movies.

I love the KFP series, but this series is better. I'd definitely put it head to head with Toy Story... HtTYD has a better second entry.