I looked for a state that’s taking gun violence seriously. I found Massachusetts.

55 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

noun

swift and intense force:the violence of a storm.    Swiftness and intensity is purely subjective.

Really?  Blowing your brains out isn't swift and intense?  Subjective my ass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence

Violence is "the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy."

World Health Organization's definition of violence as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Really?  Blowing your brains out isn't swift and intense?  Subjective my ass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence

Violence is "the use of physical force so as to injure, abuse, damage, or destroy."

It's definitely subjectively swifter and more intense than shooting yourself in the chest, sure.   Same with using a shotgun as apposed to using a 22

Having said that, if you would like a list of "swift and intense forces" that are not considered "violent" then I am happy to do so.  Which is also why its subjective.

I mean, I suppose I just find violence something that is done to other people/things with intent to harm.  Where I find suicide not to have the intent to do harm but rather cure or calm the mental harm that is in the brain. 

6 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

I mean, I suppose I just find violence something that is done to other people/things with intent to harm.  Where I find suicide not to have the intent to do harm but rather cure or calm the mental harm that is in the brain. 

https://www.who.int/violenceprevention/approach/definition/en/

"the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

Just now, Amazatron said:

"the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

Words... they mean nothing.

Just now, Amazatron said:

I've not read that definition of violence before.  Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Words... they mean nothing.

and words can hold many meanings including those not found in a dictionary or WHO, and can also change over time. 

I've always viewed suicide independently from violence, but as I have also said, that suicides can also be violent in nature.     :shrug:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How so? I'm originally from Jersey... born and raised.

In Mass the process is pretty streamlined.  Strict, but efficient from everything I've been told.  NJ has a very similar system in theory; FID -> permit to purchase -> purchase check.  The difference is that in NJ it's deliberately cumbersome.  The process just to get the initial FID with the local and state background checks, the mental health histories, requiring local fingerprinting and third party corporate biometrics, and fees at every step of the way.  And weeks or often months of waiting.  That's just to get the ID card and your initial purchase permit. It's even worse if you're in a township without a standing police department because then every step requires making appointments with the nearest state police rep which can be a long time out and will almost always require you to take off of work.  After passing all that you go pick out and purchase your gun, but can't take possession of it.  You now have to wait weeks for another round of background checks (in case you became a felon after going through all the previous steps and decided to still try to get away with buying a gun at a store after that).  When that finally comes back clean you can take your new gun home where it stays, because even after all that validation leading up to this you aren't allowed to leave your house with your gun in NJ.

NJ would ban firearms outright if they could.  But they can't.  So they make the process as difficult, inconvenient, and unwieldy as possible in order to suppress ownership to as great a degree as possible.  They want you to pay, and to wait, and travel, and to have to take time off of work, and so on.  It feels very much like tactical voter suppression.

7 minutes ago, Slug said:

In Mass the process is pretty streamlined.  Strict, but efficient from everything I've been told.  NJ has a very similar system in theory; FID -> permit to purchase -> purchase check.  The difference is that in NJ it's deliberately cumbersome.  The process just to get the initial FID with the local and state background checks, the mental health histories, requiring local fingerprinting and third party corporate biometrics, and fees at every step of the way.  And weeks or often months of waiting.  That's just to get the ID card and your initial purchase permit. It's even worse if you're in a township without a standing police department because then every step requires making appointments with the nearest state police rep which can be a long time out and will almost always require you to take off of work.  After passing all that you go pick out and purchase your gun, but can't take possession of it.  You now have to wait weeks for another round of background checks (in case you became a felon after going through all the previous steps and decided to still try to get away with buying a gun at a store after that).  When that finally comes back clean you can take your new gun home where it stays, because even after all that validation leading up to this you aren't allowed to leave your house with your gun in NJ.

NJ would ban firearms outright if they could.  But they can't.  So they make the process as difficult, inconvenient, and unwieldy as possible in order to suppress ownership to as great a degree as possible.  They want you to pay, and to wait, and travel, and to have to take time off of work, and so on.  It feels very much like tactical voter suppression.

Yup... sounds about right.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

In Trinidad, the Commissioner of the Police (the highest ranking official) was denied the permit to possess a personal firearm.

Now THAT is effective gun control!

It’s inconsequential to the real problem we have in the US. However, since you are our supreme chancellor, I will give you a free pass.  Huuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr