NFL Offseason Thread

Keyser_Soze

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

and that isn't saying much lol. Don't understand this love affair you have with Carr but he is a mid QB and that is being generous.

I'm a Raiders fan, so, of course, I will talk about the Raiders alot.  I posted about Carr today, bacause that is what most of the NFL news people were talking about as the big news of the day.

He's being paid like one too.  $30M this year, same next year.  About the same as Tannehill, Ryan, Cousins, etc.

Of course, the thing about being an above average QB, it also means you're better than the best half the league could come up with.  (i.e. your team decided to roll last year with Carr's former backup.)

I'll also probably end up pointing out how bad the Raiders look with whoever they end-up at QB this year, 'cause I haven't seen a viable plan to get anyone better than JimmyG (which looks like a best-case scenario ATM).

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0223%2Fr1135463_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Geno Smith and the Seahawks have agreed to a three-year, $105 million contract, sources told ESPN on Monday.

Seahawks re-sign Geno. Looks front-loaded with most of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years, which I'm ok with. Now go draft Richardson and let him sit a year or so.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Saints gonna gut that roster to fit Carr under the salary cap. I wonder if he had any other offer because this one doesn’t look appealing to me. 

He's getting $30M in 2023 and 2024, $40M in 2025 and $50 in 2026.  If they decide to bail after '24, they're stuck with $10M of the '25 salary.

If you believe the Stafford/Murray/Watson/Wilson deals (and potentially Rodgers) are FMV, then it looks bad.  

If you discount him from Mahomes deal, or compare him to the others (Allen, Prescott, and all of the other mid-tier QBs not on a rookie deal) ...  It looks like a pretty good deal for him.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0223%2Fr1135463_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Geno Smith and the Seahawks have agreed to a three-year, $105 million contract, sources told ESPN on Monday.

Seahawks re-sign Geno. Looks front-loaded with most of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years, which I'm ok with. Now go draft Richardson and let him sit a year or so.

It will be interesting to see what the contract actually looks like.

25 minutes ago, Brian said:

@AbsolutSurgen I think the salary is fine. That’s the price for a mid-level QB. I am surprised he picked the Saints unless he didn’t have any other offer.  

I believe the Jets told him that he was their second choice after Rodgers -- and he would have to wait for that offer to come (assuming Rodgers wouldn't move).

I am not sure if any of the other teams reportedly looking for QBs are really all that better than the Saints.

Dennis Allen was also the coach that gave him his start as a QB (and was also fired 4 games into that season).

4/160 for Danny Dimes. It’s basically a 2/82 contract since the guaranteed money is in the first two years. I don’t see how you can win with Dimes.  Last year felt fluky to me. We will find out if it was since the gang is coming back. Barkley got franchised. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0520%2Fr700766_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

The Texans will forfeit their original fifth-round selection in the 2023 NFL draft and have been fined $175,000 for a salary cap reporting violation.

Watson still fucking the Texans @sblfilms

Now everyone wants that guaranteed money and the owners said fuck that. 

GettyImages-1427646858-e1678721141742.jp
PROFOOTBALLTALK.NBCSPORTS.COM

The Falcons are bringing in a player their head coach is plenty familiar with.Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Atlanta is acquiring tight end Jonnu Smith from New England in exchange for a seventh-round draft pick.The trade cannot become official until the new league year begins on Wednesday.Falcons head coach Arthur Smith was Jonnu Smith’s [more]

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:
GettyImages-1427646858-e1678721141742.jp
PROFOOTBALLTALK.NBCSPORTS.COM

The Falcons are bringing in a player their head coach is plenty familiar with.Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Atlanta is acquiring tight end Jonnu Smith from New England in exchange for a seventh-round draft pick.The trade cannot become official until the new league year begins on Wednesday.Falcons head coach Arthur Smith was Jonnu Smith’s [more]

Final piece of the puzzle! 

This is a much better signing

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0313%2Fr1143866_
WWW.ESPN.COM

The Falcons have agreed to a five-year, $105 million contract with guard Chris Lindstrom.