NFL Offseason Thread

Keyser_Soze

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

And if he doesn't retire in your gear at least get something out of it rather than let him walk.

I think the right thing, even if not the best business decision necessarily, is release him and let him sign a more workable contract with whatever team he wants than trade him on a 1 year deal to a limited number of teams that can absorb his deal. He’s earned it.

This is a very weird offseason -- and I think part of it is due to how many not-very-good beat writers are out there, and how their voices are getting amplified by social media.

The QB movement rumours are insane -- and seem to be mostly based on speculation.  At the beginning of the season most of the talking heads felt that most teams were "set" at QB -- doesn't seem to be the case now.  Colts/Bears/Patriots/WFT are now all rumoured to be going after QBs without the draft capital to get any of the 5 QBs expected to be drafted in the first round.  Most of the Raiders beat writers feel that they should move on from Carr -- with their only suggestion is going after Watson (who probably isn't moving, and if he is is almostly definetly not coming to the Raiders).  The Bears beat writers are picking up on this, and are writing tons of pieces on how the Bears are actively going after Carr.  I am seeing this because of Twitter's algorithm picking up on the Twitter wars going on in Raider Nation about Carr and it trying to get me involved.

SI posted a piece that said "Reports: Raiders Expected to Spend Least in NFL at DT" -- they were quoting a PFF piece that said "Nobody has fewer 2021 dollars devoted to their interior defensive line than the Raiders" -- which is true because three of the four DTs who played more than a handful of snaps last year (Maliek Collins, Jonathan Hankins and Kendall Vickers) are out of contract -- and there is exactly one (Maurice Hurst on a rookie contract) DT currently on the Raiders roster.  Any journalist who writes a headline based on that is an idiot.  

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0218%2Fr816482_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade quarterback Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2021 third-round draft pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder, league sources tell ESPN.

@Greatoneshere

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0218%2Fr816482_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to trade quarterback Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2021 third-round draft pick and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder, league sources tell ESPN.

@Greatoneshere

Yeah, the whole QB issue in Philly has been crazy to follow this past season and now off season. It's gonna be a shit show most likely, but I hope it turns out well so we have a real season next season . . . :p 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, the whole QB issue in Philly has been crazy to follow this past season and now off season. It's gonna be a shit show most likely, but I hope it turns out well so we have a real season next season . . . :p 

It's gonna be the Jalen Hurts show. Get him an O-line or somethin'

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Based on the last game of the season when they were obviously trying to tank? They probably would have won that game if it wasn't for that. He'll be the man.

I dunno if he's starter level - perhaps they just need to train him up. He did well enough last season. I don't think they were trying to tank until the last 1/4 of the season, but I agree, give him a real chance.

But then why all the rumors about snagging a QB in this Wentz trade?

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Wentz had beginners luck. Once defenses figured him out he reverted back to North Dakota State. 

That might be the case, but I honestly think the hit he took by JaDeveon Clowney in the first playoff game in the 2019 season caused him permanent damage, which is why the Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts just in case, which proved correct. Permanent eye and brain damage means missed throws, etc. He'd never played as bad as he did in 2020. Not even close. The Eagles front office knew and were worried. If he gets traded and he plays great again, I was wrong, but I don't think he'll ever play the same. Even in 2018 and 2019 he played much better than 2020.

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Wentz was good when he was with Reich, but I doubt he turns it around. 

This is also true. Reich left after the 2017 magical season and Wentz never played like he had in 2017 again. 2018 and 2019 were solid (despite being taken out both seasons) but 2020 was a whole 'nother level of bad.