Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019 2PM PT/5PM ET

Pikachu

2 hours ago, legend said:

So I never played FF9, but I'm often told it is one of the best FF games. Maybe I should finally play it? :p 

No.

It had probably the most forgettable story and lame characters I've played in a FF game. The class based fighting system, while harkening back to the OG Final Fantasy, was a chore. It sucked only having one black mage, one white mage, etc. I hated that the main character was a monkey. At least until he turned into a pokemon. Then it got worse. I forced myself to finish that game.

• Guillotine 1

13 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

No.

It had probably the most forgettable story and lame characters I've played in a FF game. The class based fighting system, while harkening back to the OG Final Fantasy, was a chore. It sucked only having one black mage, one white mage, etc. I hated that the main character was a monkey. At least until he turned into a pokemon. Then it got worse. I forced myself to finish that game.

Ohhhh don’t listen to this @legend

FF9 harkens back to older FF, but it combines that the good stuff about the PS1 FF games. The story is charming (though it turns to somewhat nonsense in the last few hours lol), the character development is well-paced and actually genuinely good, it has great bosses, it’s challenging if you want it to be (leave it on active instead of wait mode), it’s got fun side stuff, the card game is great. 

Vivi and Steiner’s arcs in particular are fantastic.

oh god damn what a game. 

Edit: oh the weapon and leveling up systems are awesome too

15 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

No.

Damn, this is possibly the first very negative reaction to it that I've seen!

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

FF9 harkens back to older FF, but it combines that the good stuff about the PS1 FF games. The story is charming (though it turns to somewhat nonsense in the last few hours lol), the character development is well-paced and actually genuinely good, it has great bosses, it’s challenging if you want it to be (leave it on active instead of wait mode), it’s got fun side stuff, the card game is great. 

You just described like every Final Fantasy.

Oh do keep in mind that it’s the mobile version of the game. It’s not a big deal but there are a few issues with it: 

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-ix-switch-is-the-same-version-as-pc-and-m-1832647269/amp

I brought this up when it was first announced and remember a user or two thinking I was insane, so there’s an article that articulates specifically what is different. 

I think character models look nice though. 

I second @Paperclyp, don't listen to the man. FF IX is one of my favorites in the series. I rank VI at the top, and I'm always flip flopping between IV and IX after that. 

The story does get a bit ridiculous at the end, but it's a fun game, hearkening back to the older titles in the fantasy setting, I love the characters, the music is great, as is the battle system. I'll probably buy it on Switch at some point, because I want to replay it and portable is the way to go.

So I found out that the Fire Emblem special edition is only available at GameStop through their website. What fucking garbage. I have to pay $10 for shipping and hope they don't send it in a flimsy mailer like they did with my FE Fates LE, which got crushed.

It's got a page on Amazon, but says it's not currently available, so I'm hoping it just hasn't got live yet and I haven't missed it. At least the shipping is free there and Amazon has a better track record with shipping things properly. 

Nintendo has been so inconsistent with their products. Fates was super hard to get, but the Echoes LE can still be found new. Not sure how this one is gonna go.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I second @Paperclyp, don't listen to the man. FF IX is one of my favorites in the series. I rank VI at the top, and I'm always flip flopping between IV and IX after that. 

The story does get a bit ridiculous at the end, but it's a fun game, hearkening back to the older titles in the fantasy setting, I love the characters, the music is great, as is the battle system. I'll probably buy it on Switch at some point, because I want to replay it and portable is the way to go.

VI is my top.  I need to play IX sometime soon.  Was instantly turned of by the backgrounds on PC, but that new Moguri upscale mod looks fantastic by comparison:

3Qt5bf6.jpg
Gs7dJqS.jpg

More pics

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I know, the page has all three for comparison. :p

Ah, I edited that link out once I realized I could just post the images directly.  The PC version should be similar to the one being ported to Switch.  It looks like they tried to touch them up a bit, might have made them worse in the process.

But if you want to play it on a TV, the upscale mod is the way to go.  Super impressive, but still makes me wish we still had the original art.