AMD, Nvidia Have Launched the Least-Appealing GPU Upgrades in History

AMD, Nvidia Have Launched the Least-Appealing GPU Upgrades in History

But as things stand today, the consumer GPU market feels stuck in an unwelcome position where the only generational performance improvements available are reserved to those who can afford to jump at least a price bracket for their next GPU. Historically, there’s never been a need to do that. Hopefully, there still isn’t.

Unfortunately, scummy business practices aside (read: Nvidia) the "Good old days" are now effectively over. Even though we will continue to see performance increased with architecture changes and die shrinks, the over all cost of this business has gone up and is unlikely to come back down any time soon, unless there is a major breakthrough in chip tech soonish. When AMD is hitting us with 700 GPUs, you know there is trouble. The reality is that while things like 8K resolution will be technically possible shortly (mGPU + crazy expensive displays + updated HDMI/Display port), we will all be gaming in 4K for years and years to come! 

Remember the discussion around "prettier pixels" vs higher resolutions? Well we are there now! IQ via new rendering techniques and post processing will be the focus for years to come while the hardware that can push it all becomes more economically viable to the mass consumer. We are in a few years of catch up here as prices rise and the performance/year curve elongates. 

And to all of that I say, OK! 4K is great! It has A LOT of head room for delivering great IQ and I expect it to be the standard resolution through 2024-2025. Let's accept the hardware hurdle for now and focus on software development, which is where the real innovation will come in gaming over the next 5 years.

The reality is that they need to continue to deliver enhanced hardware performance to continue to drive revenue.  Their business will continue to shrink if they essentially do not improve their performance / dollar.

People buy new graphics cards to get better graphical experiences -- if they are no longer getting those, ownership cycles will extend and they will make even less money...

I'm way more optimistic than you all.  Yes, the cost-value of these cards are poor at the moment.  But I think we're moving to a future where the mainstream PC user will gravitate towards reconstruction techniques (DLSS, checkerboarding), which will see increased support and improvements.  Getting more bang for your buck out of the new cards in that excites me, even if they aren't the same kind of leap in their raw ability.

I don't buy graphics cards on release.  But the idea of snagging one of the current RX cards for cheap 1-2 years from now is very appealing to me.

What concerns me more is what the next-gen consoles will look like.  This could be the most underwhelming generational shift we've seen, even ignoring the mid-cycle refreshes.  I don't think I'll be an early adopter there either.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm way more optimistic than you all.  Yes, the cost-value prospects of these cards are poorer at the moment.  But I think we're moving to a future where the mainstream PC user will gravitate towards reconstruction techniques (DLSS, checkerboarding), which will see increased support and improvements.  Getting more bang for your buck out of the new cards in that excites me, even if they aren't the same kind of leap in their raw ability.

I don't buy graphics cards on release.  But the idea of snagging one of the current RX cards for cheap 1-2 years from now is very appealing to me.

I'm optimistic, I just acknowledge that Moore's law is no longer the governing rule of processor development. 18 months has doubled to 36 at this point. I agree with your comment on DLSS, and that is what I mean by a focus on better IQ rather than just raw rasterization power. I also like what Nvidia is doing with their hybritized ray tracing, but as usual I would prefer that it was more open sourced, though since its a largely hardware driven feature, I get why they have little incentive to share the wealth.