New teaser for Aladdin, including new footage of Genie

SaysWho?

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Personally I wasn't bothered by how he looked but more bothered that he was just being Will Smith.

That was always going to happen. They wanted someone with enough personality to carry the role themselves without needing or tryiing to copy what Williams did with the role, originally. It was a lose/lose for them.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That was always going to happen. They wanted someone with enough personality to carry the role themselves without needing or tryiing to copy what Williams did with the role, originally. It was a lose/lose for them.

It is a CGI character anyway, they should have just kept all of Williams voice.

30 minutes ago, number305 said:

It is a CGI character anyway, they should have just kept all of Williams voice.

His will states that his voice can't be used until 25 years after his death, so Disney still has another 21 years to go before they try to cash in on whatever recordings they have of him.

Robin Williams also never wanted to have his character be the center of the advertising, IIRC (even though they made the Genie the center of advertising).

I'm not expecting Will Smith to copy Robin Williams. He did his thing, and now Smith will do his. Just like Romero's Joker, Nicholson's Joker, and Hamill's Joker were their own, and Ledger's was his. For the new Star Trek films, some of the characters, like Bones, seemed very true to the original, but Chris Pine, IIRC, said he didn't want to try to mimic Shatner's character and voice completely because he wouldn't be able to live up to it. So he did his own thing but took some of the personality traits from Shatner's Kirk.

It may not work for this movie, but I'd rather Will Smith do his own thing, and if I watch, I'm gonna put Williams' genie out of my mind as much as possible.

Well Jafar's line readings were terrible and the Genie looks stupid but I think it's good Will Smith is doing his thing. It's as culturally out of place as Robin Williams doing his thing was, and that's kind of the point.

The rest looks bright, colorful, fun, etc. It's a Disney live-action remake of one of their animated films. I mean, shouldn't the rest look like that? Abu and the Flying Carpet look good. 

It just all looks cheap. It looks like a lesser studio that had to spend the entire budget on Will Smith so the rest of the flick suffers. And Guy Ritchie at least typically provides some visual pop to his direction but this looks completely lifeless.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It just all looks cheap. It looks like a lesser studio that had to spend the entire budget on Will Smith so the rest of the flick suffers. And Guy Ritchie at least typically provides some visual pop to his direction but this looks completely lifeless.

I will agree that it does look strangely cheap, especially for a Guy RItchie film. 

It looks cheaper than those Bollywood knock offs which are actually looking better and better these days. Why the hell did they plaster Will Smiths face over a claymation looking genie? What a piece of absolute dog shit this turned out to be. Low budget Aladdin is a disgrace to the original masterpiece. Disney should be embarassed for approving this. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Robin Williams also never wanted to have his character be the center of the advertising, IIRC (even though they made the Genie the center of advertising).

I'm not expecting Will Smith to copy Robin Williams. He did his thing, and now Smith will do his. Just like Romero's Joker, Nicholson's Joker, and Hamill's Joker were their own, and Ledger's was his. For the new Star Trek films, some of the characters, like Bones, seemed very true to the original, but Chris Pine, IIRC, said he didn't want to try to mimic Shatner's character and voice completely because he wouldn't be able to live up to it. So he did his own thing but took some of the personality traits from Shatner's Kirk.

It may not work for this movie, but I'd rather Will Smith do his own thing, and if I watch, I'm gonna put Williams' genie out of my mind as much as possible.

Ledger's joker never had his goons BAM! or POW! Batman.  I'm not sure that logic works as well when you are talking about a live action shot for shot remake.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I thought the same thing.  Maybe actual scenes in the movie will look better?  Right now they are being so secretive and only showing these tiny little snippets. When put together they look like fan made CGI shots of memorable Aladdin moments.

Will Smith’s head does not seem attached to the body. It looks weird. Just make it a headless genie. 

Is Jafar being played by that guy from Community?

I really liked King Arthur: Legend of the Sword so I’m holding out hope these are just bad trailers. #BelieveinRitchie

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Everything about that looks awful except for Jasmine. I might see it for her. But everything from the puny un-intimidating Jafar to the awful genie looks terrible.

That was my reaction to Jafar too.  Unbelievable casting.  Will Smith being will smith.  Robin Williams is what made the movie.  For lightning to strike twice you have to at least imitate the first time to some degree.  

Looks like we've got another Wrinkle in Time.  

But this is Alladin, arguable Disneys greatest movie.

Now first I must confess, I'm not the biggest Will Smith fan.  I mean I loved and grew up with him in Fresh Prince and loved Bad Boys buuuuuut, he's always the same and has an ego the size of the milky way.  But I have to wonder if Captain ego manic pushed for Disney to make the genie straight up him.  I just cant see why else they would go that route.  I mean imagine if Golem just looked like Andy Serkis!

I would find it hilarious if it came out the Will made the push.  Please be my early birthday present!:pray:

People really are making nothing out of something. He looked fine but with all the whining, Disney has time to clean up things that people are unsatisfied with. I don't get how people are not excited about Will Smith? He can actually go back to his comedic roots and natural personality to depict his own Genie. I loved Robin but I personally am not so stuck on William's voice on an animated character to not give a talented actor a try. I'm glad he won't repeat what we got with a voice from Robin Williams, who I loved as well.

Start the hate debate. I don't care.