Bloomberg: Activision-Blizzard to announce "mass layoffs" expected to cut "hundreds of jobs"

Commissar SFLUFAN

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Really the executives at Activision should be let go. The business model is too old and they failed to reduce their reliance on one franchise to carry them. 

Everything that I'm seeing is a case of failure to effectively adapt to changing business models.

The fact that they are still charging for CoD maps when there are lots of other monetization paths is clear evidence of that.

I think times are changing so that even ‘evergreen’ multiplayer games aren’t safe.  If you fall on the Twitch charts, less people will proactively play your game.  It could be a new fad to take you down.

Developers need to have a plan B’s beyond GAAS.  Blizzard is a company that historically epitomizes the evergreen approach.  I don’t think it’s sustainable. I’d actually side with Activision - they need to publish more games than they do in today’s climate.

Riot, Valve, etc should take note.

I'm not sure what the right thing for Blizzard to do is. They're still making a ton of money, they're just making less than they'd like to, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should blow up their whole business model. Blizz has always had long dev times and put out really solid games. Making them move to a faster dev cycle to push out more content seems like risking the core reason for the company's success. 

Activision is a different case, and seems like they're in a better position to adopt existing franchises to evolving business models.

Still, I think it's worth pointing out that Fortnite has been around for ~18 months. Who knows how much of its popularity Apex will be able to take long term. In the meantime, I bet a dozen or more BR games will come and go without gaining a following. So I don't think it's reasonable to chase after that kind of model and expect results. If game dev time is a few years at least, who knows what will be en vogue by then.

• 4 months later...