Bloomberg: Activision-Blizzard to announce "mass layoffs" expected to cut "hundreds of jobs"

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Where exactly have they dropped the ball?  CoD keeps selling great.  Crash games are doing great.  Blizzard games continue to do great, other than HoTS perhaps.  Even Destiny 2 must have been profitable, if not up to their wildest expectations.

Maybe this is mismanagement.

They sell well, but not up to the company’s projections. Destiny 2 in particular underperformed from Activision’s perspective. 

9 minutes ago, Snaynay1 said:

I think Fortnite is affecting a lot of things, but the poor numbers from these big companies are a result of them being run by dudes who want to milk what they think works until they kill it. And when they try to copy cat what is working, they’re very bad at it (Star Wars BF 2). 

I wonder how Overwatch is still doing. I can imagine Fortnight taking a real chunk of their players. 

With Anthem, Destiny, and Division trying to etch out a different kind of games as service model, with the looter shooter, I’m surprised Blizzard hasn’t done thing similar. All 3 of those games are effectively using Diablo among their inspirations. 

Though maybe that’s the thing. Companies like Activision and EA really would prefer a PVP game with MTX, because they can get away with far less content than any PVE/co-op game. 

Sadly PVP is a sum zero business. There’s only so many players out there truely interested in PVP only titles. And once you lose your PVP audience you’re not likely to get it back. PVE content brings people back more than new PVP content. 

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

PvP is very big right now.  But mainly with Battle Royale.

PVP has always been big. It’s the modes or styles that change. Before BR it was hero shooters like Overwatch. Before that mobas like League of Legends. Before that it was a long run of standard FPS death match games, from Quake, to Halo, and peaking with COD. 

they will eventually move on from BR to something else. 

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Like I've said before, I wish western companies would take a page from Nintendo, and have the CEO and other executives take a pay cut, rather than laying people off. Won't happen though because greed in the west is too high. 

24 minutes ago, Brick said:

Like I've said before, I wish western companies would take a page from Nintendo, and have the CEO and other executives take a pay cut, rather than laying people off. Won't happen though because greed in the west is too high. 

It’s also a lack of any real responsibility and consequences in the west. Many CEOs are guaranteed certain bonuses during company liquidation or “golden parachutes” if terminated. Even if they fail miserably they are rewarded with more money than the average worker will see in a lifetime. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s also a lack of any real responsibility and consequences in the west. Many CEOs are guaranteed certain bonuses during company liquidation or “golden parachutes” if terminated. Even if they fail miserably they are rewarded with more money than the average worker will see in a lifetime. 

Yup. To them it's not about taking lead of a company to further it into a great, sustainable future, furthering the legacy, it is and getting in, making at much money as you can, and getting out. 

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

Yup. To them it's not about taking lead of a company to further it into a great, sustainable future, furthering the legacy, it is and getting in, making at much money as you can, and getting out. 

I mean, this is pretty much the case everywhere. The idea that it's "Westerners" is silly -- just because Nintendo did it that one time doesn't make it the norm anywhere!

Just now, Brick said:

I wonder if this whole Activision-Blizzard thing is part of why Bungie wanted out from their deal. Perhaps they saw the writing on the real. 

Bungie is an independent developer that only had a contractual relationship with Activision-Blizzard.  Their action in buying out the contract (and Activision-Blizzard's willingness to be bought out) is a completely separate situation to this.