UPDATE: Trump signs funding bill and declares national emergency, promptly admits he didn't actually need to declare a national emergency

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

"And I accepted the first one, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished because people learned during that shutdown all about the problems coming in from the southern border," Trump added. "I accept it — I've always accepted it. But this one, I would never accept it if it happens, but I don't think it's going to happen. But this would be totally on the Democrats."

What does any of this mean? :badass:

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

What does any of this mean? :badass:

Progress is being made significant. Now. What did happen? Is the Democrats were being hit really hard on the concept of releasing criminals into our society? That has not been playing well, so maybe progress is made, maybe not, but I had a choice. I could have stayed out there. Listen. I could have come out to the people of El Paso and Texas. I chose I chose so so we probably have some good news, but who knows us will learn we're setting the stage folks, you know what it's called right. It's called we're setting the stage we're setting the table we're doing whatever we have to do the walls being built. It will continue it's going at a rapid pace, the Rio Grande, it's happening, go check it out.

How many strokes did he have last night?

• Confused 1

trump can accept a deal on deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

• Haha 1

So how long does this bipartisan agreement, if signed by Trump, keep this 25% of the government open for? Recently they've only been punting government appropriations bills to just last a few months like they don't want to fund the government for longer at any given time and it's getting frustrating. Just fund the government, all of it, for a full year at least so we can move on from a government shutdown conversation every few months. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So how long does this bipartisan agreement, if signed by Trump, keep this 25% of the government open for? Recently they've only been punting government appropriations bills to just last a few months like they don't want to fund the government for longer at any given time and it's getting frustrating. Just fund the government, all of it, for a full year at least so we can move on from a government shutdown conversation every few months. 

I THINK this is a year. THINK.

Not 100%.

Don't hold me to it.

Fuck the Patriots.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

He's still going to try to declare a national emergency to get his wall, isn't he?

I'm 90% sure at this point he's just going to claim the wall is being built, then shout down any news reports the contrary. He's not going to get it from Congress, even the GOP doesn't want him declaring a national emergency, and time has already shown his base is a bunch of rubes who will eat up any narrative he puts out there.

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I'm 90% sure at this point he's just going to claim the wall is being built, then shout down any news reports the contrary. He's not going to get it from Congress, even the GOP doesn't want him declaring a national emergency, and time has already shown his base is a bunch of rubes who will eat up any narrative he puts out there.

He will absolutely turn the $1.375 billion he's getting in border security which includes some additional fencing (note, this is less than the $1.6 billion Democrats were offering him in December 2018) into "the wall is being built" messaging for sure. He will just add to that: "we're pulling money from all kinds of other sources, an additional $25 billion to make the rest of the wall" (a total lie, of course) and that will become the conversation. 

Democrats are going to have to counter program hard, which is not their strong suit. 

Trump Puts Best Face on Border Deal, as Aides Try to Assuage an Angry Right

Mr. Trump offered no acknowledgment on Wednesday that his pressure tactics had failed even as aides sought to minimize the damage by tamping down criticism on the right.

One call was made to Lou Dobbs, a favorite of Mr. Trump’s whose Fox Business Network show he often tries to catch live. Another was placed to Sean Hannity, the Fox host who regularly talks with the president. The message: Mr. Trump deserved support because he still forced concessions that he would never have gotten without a five-week partial government shutdown.

Even so, it was arguably the most punishing defeat Mr. Trump has experienced as president, and it left the White House scrounging for other ways to pay for a wall on the southwestern border and rethinking its approach to a Congress now partly controlled by Democrats.

“Only in Washington, D.C., can we start out with needing $25 billion for border security measures and expect applause at 1.37,” [Mark Meadows] said Tuesday on Fox News. “I mean, only in D.C. is that a winning deal.”

Mr. Meadows and his allies were among those targeted by the White House in hopes of avoiding a more threatening conservative revolt. A meeting with members of his Freedom Caucus in the Oval Office was partly aimed at urging them to hold their fire in television interviews when talking about the bill, according to a person briefed on the effort.

At one point last year, the president and Democrats were close to a deal in which he would get all $25 billion for the wall in exchange for protections for 1.8 million young immigrants brought to the country illegally as children. But Mr. Trump ultimately turned away because he also wanted cuts to legal immigration that Democrats would not accept.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I hope he gets his national emergency. It just sets the standard for a dem President to declare one for healthcare and fund medicare for all, and to declare a national emergency for gun control.

Can’t wait to see the hypocrisy from republicans.

yup guns and climate here we go if the country doesnt fuck up again

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I hope he gets his national emergency. It just sets the standard for a dem President to declare one for healthcare and fund medicare for all, and to declare a national emergency for gun control.

Can’t wait to see the hypocrisy from republicans.

We've already seen it. “Obama is an imperial president! Too many executive orders! National emergency on DACA!”

Presidential overreach only matters when Dems are in control.