Resident Evil 8 RUMORS (early in development, RE3 Remake to launch before)

SaysWho?

I dunno how much i believe that they already have RE3 Remake planned before RE8 when the JUST were talking about not knowing if a RE3 was gonna happen (of course its gonna happen, butvyou know...). They didnt know how the RE2 remake was gonna be received so i have to think RE8 is a bit further than concept stage.

Also i'd be okay with the 3.5 idea. I would like to see them explore other avenues of horror.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I suppose they have the tech so they might as well churn out the remakes. I’ll buy em all. 

I've been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I just accidentally impaled Lara on a bed of spikes.. It reminded me of all of the different ways Leon could die in RE4. Some of them were pretty gut-wrenching. 

Not that I want to see Jill's face get melted off by a giant worm, but it would be great to bring back the death sequences for RE8. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

After playing RE2, I doubt I get RE3. Maybe a CV remake is something I'd get but idk. RE2 wasn't bad at all, but I don't really feel like I got enough bang for my buck. 

Honestly they would have to add a lot of extra content to RE3. The game itself was a quick cash-in because Sony wanted one more RE game before Capcom abandoned the Playstation to make Code Veronica for Dreamcast.

That doesn't mean it wasn't fun. I had a blast playing through it multiple times, but it was a pretty short game, I'd say 5-6 hours tops. The speedrunners would get through it in less than two, probably.

I hope the "praise" for the third-person camera isn't true. It's not that I like one over the other, but I think RE7 was vastly more effective at selling horror than RE2 Remake was, I imagine Mr. X would be a fucking nightmare in first-person, in the best way. Obviously when you've got an iconic character like Claire or Leon you've gotta go third-person, but I kinda like having them switch it up.

Also RE7 just straight up played better than 2. 2 felt like a step back mechanics-wise, which was odd. The shooting was worse and there was no defensive option other than running in awkward circles around enemies, aside from the defensive items which, while they had a few uses outside of just using them to avoid an attack, just lacked the core mechanical depth (despite the simplicity of) the block from RE7, which paired nicely with the heal functionality.

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

Just make first and third person something you can toggle.  

I like that. More accurate aiming in third-person, and a big stupid character model taking up 1/3rd of the screen in 3rd person, but slightly better peripheral vision in the cramped hallway you're in!

RE7 worked as a first person game because it was built that way from the ground up.  It was full of tight, cramped spaces and up close attention to detail.

RE3 is set sprawled across the wreckage of an entire city.  You would lose the claustrophobia by having it set in wide open city streets and trying to find the items you need would be a hassle.

21 hours ago, gfxtwin said:

My guess is RE8 and 9 will round out a trilogy focusing on the lore introduced in 7 and will roll out between the remakes of 3 and CV.  It's going to be very interesting to see what happens after that.  How do you get the story back on track? And assuming 3 and CV sell well enough, what happens when Capcom gets to RE4?  How do you tackle a satisfying reimagining such an iconic game with design that hits the mark that well yet also feels so different in tone compared to the more serious and grounded direction style of the remakes so far?  

Simple, just give RE4 an asset swap like they did with Halo Anniversary. Leave everything else exactly the same.

As for RE8, they set themselves up with the Umbrella link at the end, but I don't know if they cleared that up in the dlc. I never finished the Chris episode. I would be okay with each new Resident Evil being a unique setting with new monsters as opposed to an overarching Umbrella conspiracy theory. Hell, the best episodes of the X-Files and Supernatural were the monster of the week ones that had nothing to do with anything.

There was a recent Capcom related article stating they are not interested in remaking RE4 nor RE5, almost verbatim as far as I recall. If it's actually posted in here, sorry in advance, I can't remember at all where I read it, maybe here.

RE4 is one of the coolest games out there, whatever it may be, all it could use is an HD texture pack in my eyes...a facelift in general. The game's design, gameplay, pacing and basically everything else is so fun to this day, I just don't see why they would bother touching it and they seem to know that. Re-imagining it suddenly to fit the Survival Horror mold would be really absurd in my opinion, it's a different type of Resi game. 

1 hour ago, gfxtwin said:

Wouldn't RE4's tone of magnificent ridiculousness clash a bit with the grounded and more serious horror of the remakes?  Though to be fair REmake is possibly more gritty than the new RE2, and was released before RE4 so maybe Capcom plans to continue ignoring that.  But I think it's difficult to say right now because Code Veronica is where the story really starts leaning into that anime bombast. So far Capcom has remade games that were more unintentionally campy by making them feel more like straight-up horror movies in the style of Dawn of the Dead or Alien.  They've retconned a lot of stuff that clashes with that feel, but unless they start heavily retconning the actual plot itself starting with RE4 or maybe CV, I guess by the time RE4make starts development it's tone won't feel too out of place. But depending on how much of the series is planning to be remade, you'd think at some point there would be an attempt to address how hilariously off the rails things get with RE5 and RE6.  That's pretty much when RE as a horror game jumps the shark and becomes a horror-themed action game series.

And this kinda starts with RE4 too.  It's a damn near perfect action game, but compared to the masterful balancing of old and new in RE2make, I think a strong case can be made that it's far from a perfect RE game.  And Capcom definitely seem interested in making perfect RE games now going by their reimagined take on the series that combine the best of old and new.  So would releasing RE4 as an asset swap remake risk disappointing tons of fans who love how much Capcom have reworked the older games?  But then again wouldn't changing too much risk pissing off a lot of fans too?  What do you add, remove, change?  Should QTEs stay?  Should items still be dropped by enemies and project a cylinder of light that practically yells at you to grab them?  Who are the stalker characters (actually this one seems easy enough - Chief Mendez is in the Village, Verdugo in the castle, and at the Island location, Krauser)?  Should puzzles be added?  Should some sections of the game that throw waves of enemies at you after pulling a lever be cut? RE2make feels so modern, and RE4 in comparison kinda doesn't, but it's also iconic and very well designed and has great mechanics, so how do you get to that sweet spot and remake it to feel modern but also keep it feeling enough like RE4 that fans of the original won't complain it to shreds?

I get your points, but like you said, not only is RE4 iconic but it's been re-released so many times over the years, if anything were to change the core gameplay, it would fuck with what made RE4 what it is. I think an asset swap would be perfectly acceptable, if Capcom was transparent about what it was. Bethesda did it with Skyrim Special Edition (which wasn't even a swap but basically the integration of a bunch of mods), MS did it with Halo Collection, Konami did it with Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (a port, but still basically the same game with updated graphics). It's not unprecedented, and I think the introduction of better lighting, 4k textures, more detailed character models, atmospherics, etc. would be more than enough to sell the game yet again, despite not having entirely new content. Suckers like me would buy that in a heartbeat.

Code Veronica would need a remake from the ground up. While it was a good entry and definitely has its positives, there were certain elements of that game that were atrocious, such as the comically James Bond-ish action intro where Umbrella is decidedly annihilating their own building with a helicopter to kill one person that somehow has gained a sudden ability to outgun trained soldiers, despite no training herself. Then there's the whole Steve character that was god-awful. He would need to be re-written completely. There was also some gimmicky shit that was popular at the time like the stupid bullet-time Matrix cutscene and some other stuff. I would even be okay with the fixed camera angles like before but I don't even know if Capcom wants to tackle that one.