Resident Evil 7 now the fastest-selling horror game of all-time (second if you consider Last of Us survival-horror)

SaysWho?

ebc460c413e57322bb059ae0b67dc5a6.png

Screen_Shot_2019-02-08_at_15.36.08.png

From Reset:

Capcom released it's official sales data today for December 31st, 2019 (the last benchmark was recorded from September 30th, 2017). Resident Evil 7 within the last three months sold an additional 400,000 copies, boosting it from 5.7 million sales to 6.1 million sales. This also is the month for RE7's 2-year anniversary, meaning Resident Evil 7 has sold over 6 million copies since launch in a two year span.

This actually officially makes RE7 the best selling survival-horror game of all time. Not as many studios are as open with their sales data as Capcom are, but for some notable comparisons, Amnesia: The Dark Descent sold over 4.5 million in 7 years, the original Resident Evil 2 sold 4.5 million in three years, Dead Space 1 sold over 4 million in two years, Dead Space 2 sold over 4.5 million in two years, Dying Light sold over 5 million copies... I could go on, but Resident Evil 7 now holds the crown for the top selling survival-horror game of all time.

Compared to the two heavy hitters in sales for the Resident Evil series, Resident Evil 5 is still the top selling entry in the series, but RE7 is actually on its way to surpass Resident Evil 6. Resident Evil 6's total sales on the 360/PS3 is 7.2 million, and at it's 2-year anniversary it was at 6 million (including PC sales given by SteamSpy at the time). Resident Evil 6 had a stronger opening than Resident Evil 7 did, but RE7 has actually sold more than RE6 did come it's 2-year anniversary due to a far stronger tail and it looks like within the next year it'll surpass it for overall sales on first platform release (though the PS4 Remasters did boost RE6's overall sales higher at this point, and that 7.2 million doesn't include the tail of RE6's PC release). Of course, if RE5 and RE6 could be considered survival-horror is another topic entirely.

RE5 is still the best-selling, but with legs like this, RE7 could very well surpass it.

Separate convo whether someone would consider it survival-horror. :p 

I didn't get RE6 on PS3. I did pick it up later on PS4 for cheap. Yeah I just couldn't get through it. I didn't pickup RE7 because for me it was too scary. In VR it is scary and i got a little vr sick.  I still want to get the game. I just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm always on the hunt for the gold edition but that seems to be out of print for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I didn't get RE6 on PS3. I did pick it up later on PS4 for cheap. Yeah I just couldn't get through it. I didn't pickup RE7 because for me it was too scary. In VR it is scary and i got a little vr sick.  I still want to get the game. I just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm always on the hunt for the gold edition but that seems to be out of print for some reason.

I always see it at Best Buy.

I really liked RE5 back in the day. I played through it alone at launch on PS3. I'd like to play it again with my husband, we've both got it and the DLC on PC. 

We played through one of the campaigns in RE6 together a few years ago. It's not terrible, but it feels pretty uninspired and I remember the textures being shockingly bad for a PC game at that time.

The problem with RE6 was that the mutating monster people were fucking irritating. They weren't even fun to shoot.

Also that ridiculously awful car chase sequence, Chris's wonky cover mechanics, having to turn the herbs in to tic-tacs before you could take them, Jake's cliche too-cool-for-school character, fighting tanks....

you know what, fuck it. The problem with RE6 was everything. God that game was bad, and I hate that I like to play it from time to time.

I mean, if you liked how ridiculous things got in 5, then you should play 6 with the same mindset. The game isn't very fun to play (I also didn't find 5 terribly fun) and it's straight up butt-ugly most of the time, but if you can just play it for laughs you'll have a good time. Even on the hardest difficulty that shit is braindead easy in co-op. It's totally absurd. It's still a pile of shit, but it's a funny pile of shit. I think I like 5 somewhat less just because of how bland most of it. It gets silly, but only mostly near the end.

I'd be happy if 7 overtook them both. It's more fun, and has the right amount of over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek fun while still managing to get some good atmosphere in for most of the game. It's a shame the boat section felt like mediocre DLC, but almost every Resident Evil seems to feel like that at some point. RE4's was the Island. And for me, usually it's the lab in each game. Surprisingly I liked the lab in the 2 remake, but found the sewer kind of boring.

Seeing this made me wonder how much Dead Space sold. It sold a lot less than I anticipated it did, which made me more sad than I thought it would.

I'll probably buy RE7 on the next steam sale, hopefully will have beaten RE2 by then. I have so many games to play right now.