Jeff Bezos alleges extortion of affair photos by AMI/National Enquirer.

Wow. They wanted him to publicly (through WaPo?) declare that AMI's catch-and-kill policy (where they paid for stories about Trump and then buried them) was not politically motivated. Instead he is going public with their written letter of extortion.

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

Something unusual happened to me yesterday. Actually, for me it wasn’t just unusual — it was a first. I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse. Or at least that’s what the top people at the National Enquirer thought. I’m glad they thought that, because it emboldened them to put it all in writing. Rather than capitulate to extortion and blackmail, I’ve decided to publish exactly what they sent me, despite the personal cost and embarrassment they threaten.

AMI, the owner of the National Enquirer, led by David Pecker, recently entered into an immunity deal with the Department of Justice related to their role in the so-called “Catch and Kill” process on behalf of President Trump and his election campaign. Mr. Pecker and his company have also been investigated for various actions they’ve taken on behalf of the Saudi Government.

In the AMI letters I’m making public, you will see the precise details of their extortionate proposal: They will publish the personal photos unless Gavin de Becker and I make the specific false public statement to the press that we “have no knowledge or basis for suggesting that AMI’s coverage was politically motivated or influenced by political forces.”

If we do not agree to affirmatively publicize that specific lie, they say they’ll publish the photos, and quickly. And there’s an associated threat: They’ll keep the photos on hand and publish them in the future if we ever deviate from that lie.

So who wants to bet that Trump is tied to this?

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This would be an amazing way for AMI to get prosecuted for a bunch of stuff they just got off the hook for.

If nothing else, Bezos doesn't strike me as the kinda guy you want as an enemy. Going after him like this seems like a wild miscalculation. I hope AMI gets the book thrown at them.

From a user on ResetEra:

More details are coming out on CNN right now, and it's reported that when National Enquirer first published the story about his affair, Bezos decided to do a full on investigation of his own to try to figure out how they were able to get the information on his texts and so on.

The National Inquirer then came back and threatened Bezos that if he didn't stop his investigation into how they got the information, and put out that statement that there was nothing wrong, then they would publish all the other things about him.

Imagine a timeline where Trump got the NSA to give texts to Thy Enquirer. Not remotely likely, but it's fun to image him and Saudi Arabia being involved in this.

looooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Haha 1

After Jeff Bezos, more allegations of intimidation against National Enquirer owner

In the hours after Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos publicly accused the National Enquirer's parent company of "extortion and blackmail," prominent names in journalism and one Hollywood star alleged the tabloid giant had tried to intimidate or threaten them, too.

The allegations could put even more scrutiny on American Media and its chief executive, David Pecker, a longtime ally of President Donald Trump. Pecker has been accused of buying controversial stories about Trump to keep them private — a media industry practice known as "catch and kill."

Investigative journalist Ronan Farrow said in a tweet Thursday night that he and "at least one other prominent journalist" who had reported on the link between the National Enquirer and Trump received what he characterized as "stop digging or we'll ruin you" blackmail threats from AMI.