The Retro Collection Thread

Rodimus

Saw this and wondering how good it will be?  

http://polymega.com/

Since you have to have the physical media would be nice for those of us that have a large game collection already.  Price of the unit will also be a factor.

Thanks JVC for being the first to derail a thread. jk but anyway. This is part vaporware for me. It seems cool until you have all the modules in a pile next to it. Seems expensive. The main interest is the CD games interest. It is all emulation and because of that there are easier ways to emulate games.  Also The Atari VGS I think is a total scam. They got nothing but promises and still no working prototype. That is why they chose indegogo. Because they don't require a prototype and the person can keep the money either way. $300 box to play atari 2600 games and a promise of other games that the developers have not agreed or seen the development kits. All the game footage is simulated and not really running on the hardware.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:51 PM, JVC920 said:

Saw this and wondering how good it will be?  

http://polymega.com/

Since you have to have the physical media would be nice for those of us that have a large game collection already.  Price of the unit will also be a factor.

Watched a recent video of it in action running NeoGeo CD titles and noticed missing shadows in one of the fighting games.  Shadows were also solid instead of having the transparency effect they should have.  Made me a bit weary of how far along the emulation quality is when they felt comfortable releasing a video which such a glaring flaw. 

I really want this to be good too because it's the perfect solution for playing old games. I don't buy as many retro games anymore as I once did, but I'd love to pull games from my storage and play them on my TV without having to jump through hoops to make them look good. 

I posted this in discord but may as well post it here.

Gamestop is having a retro flash sale use code CAG16 for a total of 16% off

This link shows everything with a reduced price, but you get some kind of a discount on non-discounted games with the code.

Their mobile app wasn't great at telling me what discount I was getting for the games. Bubble Bobble wasn't reduced, though I saw the code was applied to it

The pricing as far as I can tell is decent, most games I was interested in were about the same as eBay, slightly more, or slightly less with the discount. Not that eBay is really that great to begin with, but I only have 3 retro game stores near me and their pricing is usually not that great either.

Bad part is that its a crap shoot for what you get, could be good, could be bad. I wouldn't expect more than just the game so if you are interested in boxes and manuals this probably isn't for you. Although some guy apparently got an almost brand new Bubble Bobble 2 at some point.

I ordered 3 games because I'm not really all that concerned with condition on these games. Castlevania II: Simons Quest, Bubble Bobble, and Aladdin.

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I always thought Gamestop's attempt at getting into the retro market was poorly implemented.

Yeah it would be nice if they had pictures for each item with various pricing. It definitely isn’t a great system that they have right now.

I got my games from Gamestop today. They actually turned out pretty well.

Aladdin and Castlevania II have no label issues and are pretty clean carts.

Bubble Bobble was some minor tearing at the top of the cart, but its not that bad.

No cases, no sleeves, no manuals, no boxes. Wasn't really expecting them, but figured I'd include that.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:21 PM, Remarkableriots said:

That is way too expensive for what it's worth. You're best buying up an old cocktail cab on ebay and restoring it. It would be far more rewarding and a hell of a lot cheaper.

12 hours ago, Rodimus said:

I would love an Astro or other candy cabinet

<3 Jpn Candy cabs are the best...

:cry: My wife keeps pestering me to sell mine since it sits in storage unused. It sits there because I need to work on it and don't have the time atm.

So here is my retro setup. I more try to keep my collection clean and out of sight. I tend to play HD stuff in the bedroom where the HD tv is.

Q-ioxvSXXW5gfg0P3NKCPNfSxAU0apcYTONm3npA

M26Nd7W5-vZRgmkRcqkg1ds4N3cJ9JIL3IwvNKBWWnDtE6VStBkD3a_ZPMAN9gTRqHihlAj2MvnoFJZe

C6xzRPIxaesLjqviVsdP_1yRPFKiCyZZxwW6vS3oHwcc7MvF_a1RnQDc8wY1OmXJxtX9-d3Y8A4NZfeo

eNFvAS3lTtOdvT7S0Sb6y6XvljKLDPLsbYUhUj7-NxvSfhH-XF2KwgOn1rEUTSwtQIK049YwrnCQ5ecC

I tend to keep the systems i'm not playing stored away in their box to keep them from getting dusty/faded (I caught my jpn n64 starting to yellow last time I left it out). Also since I try to keep my games grouped in plastic bins, I tend to take what i'm not touching down to my locker (so much of my ps3/ps2/psp/ds/xbox/saturn collection is kept there). I'll post photos of the rest later if there is interest. =P

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

That is way too expensive for what it's worth. You're best buying up an old cocktail cab on ebay and restoring it. It would be far more rewarding and a hell of a lot cheaper.

<3 Jpn Candy cabs are the best...

:cry: My wife keeps pestering me to sell mine since it sits in storage unused. It sits there because I need to work on it and don't have the time atm.

I never thought of that! I wouldn't have room in my tiny apartment but I could see if my friend would like to invest some time into doing a project like that in his gerage. 

• 2 months later...