Six Classic RPGs Coming to Consoles For The First Time Ever in 2019

Pikachu

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/beamdog-rpg-games-on-consoles-1203130575/

Publisher Skybound Games and developer Beamdog are teaming up to bring some classic role-playing games to consoles later this year.

Beamdog is known for its enhanced versions of classic “Dungeons & Dragons” PC titles. Now, it’s bringing six of them to consoles for the first time ever — “Baldur’s Gate,” “Baldur’s Gate II,” “Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear,” “Icewind Dale,” “Planescape: Torment,” and “Neverwinter Nights.” All of them are enhance editions and they’ll all be sold at retail stores and online.

“Baldur’s Gate” was originally developed by BioWare and Black Isle Studios. It first came out in 1998 and received widespread critical acclaim. Not only did it play a major part in revitalizing computer role-playing games, it helped popularize the top-down isometric third-person perspective used by a variety of RPGs over the years.

“These games are iconic, including ‘Baldur’s Gate,’ which has really set the standard for ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ computer role-playing games,” said Skybound Games CEO Ian Howe. “We’re excited to bring Beamdog’s incredible slate to new platforms for both the dedicated fan and those who will soon discover these adventures for the first time. As longtime fans of ‘Baldur’s Gate’ and ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ it’s fantastic to partner with Beamdog as the newest member of the Skybound family.”

Skybound will release more details about the ports, including specific platforms and retail box contents, in the coming months. In the meantime, a selection of Beamdog’s titles will be on display in the Skybound Games booth during PAX East, which takes place Mar. 28-31 in Boston.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That really would be the ideal way to experience these titles, provided the controls are remapped effectively and menus & text dimensions are reconsidered. 

That would be great. Also, Xbox now supports mouse and keyboard and I believe so does PS4? 

I've actually been reading R.A. Salvatore a lot lately, so Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights would be fun to play right now, since I'm pretty steeped in the lore at the moment.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That would be great. Also, Xbox now supports mouse and keyboard and I believe so does PS4? 

I've actually been reading R.A. Salvatore a lot lately, so Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights would be fun to play right now, since I'm pretty steeped in the lore at the moment.

And these games still hold up! 

25 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Pretty sure PS4 has had Mouse and Keyboard support for awhile now.

2 hours ago, nublood said:

Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance is one of my favorite games of all time. I wish somebody would remaster it or expand the universe to current gen consoles. 

Edit: Oh wait, wrong Baldurs Gate. lol

When I first saw this was Baldurs Gate games I quickly scanned the list for Dark Alliance.  Was disappointed.