Alabama Police Officer Will Not Be Charged In Fatal Shooting Of Mistaken Gunman

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/691798641/alabama-police-officer-will-not-be-charged-in-fatal-shooting-of-mistaken-gunman

Emantic "EJ" Bradford Jr., 21, was killed by an officer whose name has not been released and is only identified as "Officer 1" on Thanksgiving night inside the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, Ala. The officer, who was responding to an earlier shooting at the mall, mistook Bradford for the gunman.

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall released a 26-page report concluding that the officer was "justified and not criminal" in fatally shooting Bradford "who was running toward the initial shooter and victim with a firearm visibly in hand."

The report says "Officer 1's mistaken belief does not render his actions unreasonable."

"A reasonable person could have assumed that the only person with a gun who was running toward the victim of a shooting that occurred just three seconds earlier fired the shots," the report concludes.

Bradford's family reacted with outrage.

"My son was murdered. And you think I'm going to let it go?," said Emantic Bradford Sr. as quoted by AL.com. "That was a homicide... you killed my son. You are a coward. You're a coward too, Steve Marshall."

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or hit them with a car if they're on a bike. "The sun was in my eyes, I didn't see them" and don't run away after the event.

Yeah cars are the perfect weapon to kill people and get away with it. Even if you are 100% at fault you will never see jail time as long as you say it was an accident.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah cars are the perfect weapon to kill people and get away with it. Even if you are 100% at fault you will never see jail time as long as you say it was an accident.

If you don’t leave the scene. That is usually what gets people, a “failure to remain” or similar charge.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

If you don’t leave the scene. That is usually what gets people, a “failure to remain” or similar charge.

Even leaving the scene isn't guaranteed to get you in trouble, though. You'll likely be able to get away with something like "I left because I didn't realize I hit someone". Especially if it was a pedestrian (harder but not impossible to get them to believe you didn't notice running over a bike as well). 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even leaving the scene isn't guaranteed to get you in trouble, though. You'll likely be able to get away with something like "I left because I didn't realize I hit someone". Especially if it was a pedestrian (harder but not impossible to get them to believe you didn't notice running over a bike as well). 

“I thought it was a pothole!” is a winning defense.