Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery

14 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The fact that the Catholic Church still has over a billion followers is a shitstain on humanity.

There are more cases of sex crimes by teachers in public schools and health care providers annually than by the pervert priests, but people generally support those institutions.

I think @Greatoneshereis correct when he says humanity itself is the stain on the world :p

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think @Greatoneshere is correct when he says humanity itself is the stain on the world :p

It's not something I like to admit, even to myself, but the proof is, as they say, in the pudding. :p 

That's not to say we shouldn't stop systemic, institutional abuses that are strengthened by the worst of us getting together to use these systems against the rest of us, but it's proof humanity sucks, not per se the institutions themselves (that at best, create situations that help preserve and continue the worst of us getting away with heinous shit, which is also bad but not the source of the problem). 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There are more cases of sex crimes by teachers in public schools and health care providers annually than by the pervert priests, but people generally support those institutions.

I’ll bite.

Education and healthcare are “necessary” for a functioning and healthy society. Even if I was to accept that religion or spirituality are equivalently necessary, Catholicism specifically certainly is not. Also, educational and medical institutions are, generally, not considered a moral authority nor do they claim to represent a higher power; the Catholic Church absolutely does both. Lastly, sex crimes by teachers and health care providers are, again generally even though there are certainly exceptions to this, not papered over to the extent that the Catholic Church both has and likely continues to do.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll bite.

Education and healthcare are “necessary” for a functioning and healthy society. Even if I was to accept that religion or spirituality are equivalently necessary, Catholicism specifically certainly is not. Also, educational and medical institutions are, generally, not considered a moral authority nor do they claim to represent a higher power; the Catholic Church absolutely does both. Lastly, sex crimes by teachers and health care providers are, again generally even though there are certainly exceptions to this, are not papered over to the extent that the Catholic Church both has and likely continues to do.

Beat me to it. This is what I get for sleeping all day :p 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll bite.

Education and healthcare are “necessary” for a functioning and healthy society. Even if I was to accept that religion or spirituality are equivalently necessary, Catholicism specifically certainly is not. Also, educational and medical institutions are, generally, not considered a moral authority nor do they claim to represent a higher power; the Catholic Church absolutely does both. Lastly, sex crimes by teachers and health care providers are, again generally even though there are certainly exceptions to this, not papered over to the extent that the Catholic Church both has and likely continues to do.

Still more necessary than "Protestants".

I think @Greatoneshereis correct when he says humanity itself is the stain on the world :p

The Catholic Church is guilty of covering up these abuses on a massive scale. It’s a bit of a stretch to compare this to public schools which generally do their best to remove teachers who are receiving complaints.

The abuse itself is terrible. The coverup is heinous.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’ll bite.

It’s not unnecessary to it’s adherents, which is the context of the post to which I replied. 

Your last sentence is also false. There are mountains of cases of pervert teachers and pervert doctors being privately reprimanded instead of criminally prosecuted. Obviously the Nassar case is an extreme one, but there are thousands like it in every way except scope. Protecting your terrible friends and colleagues from criminal punishment in sex abuse cases is basically a global tradition.

It’s not unnecessary to it’s adherents, which is the context of the post to which I replied. 

Your last sentence is also false. There is mountains of cases of pervert teachers and pervert doctors being privately reprimanded instead of criminally prosecuted. Obviously the Nassar case is an extreme one, but there are thousands like it in every way except scope. Protecting your terrible friends and colleagues from criminal punishment in sex abuse cases is basically a global tradition.

Tribalism, how does it work?   

And if if you want your tribe to grow much larger than your local tribe, insert religion.  

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Good thing this stuff only happens from Catholics

What is interesting to me about this is it shows that there is no organizational model that creates the ability for this to occur. The SBC is the polar opposite the Catholic Church in that the Catholics are very organized and structured from the very top, while the SBC is primarily run at the local church level with the head organization having virtually no say at what happens there. The organization of the Catholics makes it easy for people to be silenced and pervert priests to quietly be moved around with people none the wiser. The SBC local congregational autonomy model means there is no information sharing at all between congregations, so the pervert pastors can go from church to church themselves without anybody knowing anything.

Burn it all to the ground.