“We’re disappointed in our underperformance” - EA after earnings miss

Brian

EA stock drops 18% after 3Q miss and cuts revenue outlook

Highlights:

BFV sold 7.3 million, 1 million less than expected. COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen blames devs for focusing on single player campaign instead of Firestorm, it’s BR mode.  Firestorm still releasing in March. No comment on Monetization. Other factors blamed: intense competition from CoD, RDR2, and Fortnite, delay to make a “better game”, poor marketing, and longer dev cycle. 

Mobile revenue dropped 23%

EA sports especially FIFA Ultimate Team continue to make bank and is only thing holding up this house of cards

Happy with Apex launch but too early to tell if it will last

Anthem expected to sell 5-6 million in first quarter despite demo. 

EA confirmed PvZ shooter, new Need For Speed, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order And Titanfall-related Game this year. 

I wish western publishers (and companies in general) would take a cue from companies like Nintendo, and if things are underperforming, you start at the top, and the CEO takes a pay cut. That won't happen though since in the west it's all about making yourself as much money as you can, and who cares about the company itself. 

I really wonder what kind of support BF5 will have. Battlefront 2 was crap but they needed to spend so much time reworking it from it's pay to win launch. My math may be off but once the Greek map releases we will be about 5 maps down compared to BF1 at the same time period. I believe BF1 had 10 maps plus Giant's Shadow for free and 6 months later was They Shall Not Pass with another 4 maps.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

CFO Blake Jorgensen blames devs for focusing on single player campaign instead of Firestorm, it’s BR mode.

Asshole.

While I do agree that the series should scrap the truly terrible single-player campaigns entirely, still a dickish thing to say during the conference call.

I too could not believe the gall to say something like that. If I was a BFV dev I'd be thinking, "hey, fuck you". It's always the developer's fault, never the publisher, oh no! Fucking cancerous dickwads these publisher executives are. 

11 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

CFO Blake Jorgensen blames devs for focusing on single player campaign instead of Firestorm, it’s BR mode.

Asshole.

While I do agree that the series should scrap the truly terrible single-player campaigns entirely, still a dickish thing to say during the conference call.

Hey, gotta throw somebody under the bus, or else it might look like YOU fucked up, am i right?

I think every developer under EA's umbrella should walk out and let that company fucking burn.

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Maybe make games people are interested in buying. SSX, anyone? 

Or perhaps put some games other than FIFA on Switch once in a while. Y’know, that super popular system that is breaking sales records? Might get some traction there, I dunno. 

I'm surprised Apex Legends didn't come out on Switch. Then again, it's EA, so... 

Maybe it'll get ported over at some point though. 

11 hours ago, projectmayhem said:

Makes me very worried about what Titanfall 3 is going to be. I just don't understand why devs think it's a good idea to sign a deal with publishers that are so fucking greedy and have a track record of ruining devs because they haven't made impossible amounts of money. 

Not that EA and Activision weren’t shit companies back then, but the games industry was a very different place when Respawn and Bungie signed on with their big publishers. 

Self publishing wasn’t really a thing, and most publishers would try to ensure partnerships favored themselves as much as possible.