Looking for websites for TV recommendations and ***4k movies***.

Pent

Hello all.

I am thinking about getting a new TV and maybe a sound bar.  Right now I have a Sony 55" Bravia (non-4k/UHD) and a Yamaha surround system, and it has worked out for me for many years.  I also have a PS4 Pro, and a Xbox One X.  My goal is to upgrade to a TV that is at least 65" (or bigger) that is 4k and UHD, and I am not sure if a sound bar would sound better than my Yamaha or not so opinions on that are appreciated.  Even though my Yamaha has surround speakers and a sub...  everything is sitting on the TV shelf/cabinet anyway, so a sound bar might sound better?  I have never had a sound bar so I don't know what to expect really.

My goal would be to stay under $1000 for the TV and depending on if I need the sound bar (if the sound will be better than what I have) the soundbar could be $200-ish?  I don't have the cash to go crazy so I am pretty firm with the $1000 or less on the TV, but if it goes a little over and it is worth it... I would consider it.

What would be great is if there was a website that i could input my max dollar amount for each item, and the size/specs I want...  and have the site spit back at me reviews of the products that compare like items.  I tried to look at BestBuy.com and Walmart.com (I could probably get 10% off at the local store) for reviews and stuff, but knowing that there are people here at DayOnePatch that knows their stuff (or where to look for reviews) and hoping to hear reviews based on things like, "TV X is better than TV Y because ...." is better than just hearing why one TV is good and not comparing it to another TV.

I know that Samsung QLED is really great, but I can't spend that much money on a TV right now... so that's why I am trying to stay under $1000 and get the best one (brand-wise and spec-wise) that will be good for Gaming, TV, movies, etc...

Thank you for any help.

For TV ratings, the best site is easily rtings.com

The Wirecutter isn't what it was, but their look at soundbars is pretty comprehensive. Personally I'm only buying a soundbar if space is a real issue or if you don't want to spend any money. I have some cheap Vizio sound bars for secondary TVs, and I'm thinking about moving away from them.

Thanks guys.

So I think I have narrowed it down to two TVs, maybe three, but I am not sure what the differences between the two Vizios are...  if any?  probably same TV?

Here are the TV choices (found at rtings.com)...

Vizio P65-F1  (I think this one and the next are the same TV, maybe? The review of this on the "Best 65" TVs" leads to the same page as the next review.)

Vizio P Series 2018 (65")  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

TCL 65R617  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

From what I can tell, the Vizios are both around $1100 (TCL is about $1000) , but I couldn't find what the differences are, but maybe they are the same TV and just named differently on the reviews?  I couldn't find any reviews that compared them against each other.  I think my main concern with the Vizios is that I am not sure if I'll be able to find those models... Evidently it seems that both are hard to find, maybe?  The Vizio P Series rates a little higher than the TCL one on the site.

I think I may wait on the sound bar though.  There is a Vizio one on the site that Twinlon linked to that I am curious about, mainly about the subwoofer being wireless and the satellite speakers can attached to the subwoofer, but I am worried about sound lag that is mentioned on the Walmart site for the item.  I'd love to have wireless satellite speakers so wires wouldn't be all over the place, but i never even considered the sound might lag every so often.   ...I do like the idea of using the sound bar's bluetooth capability with apps on my my phone though.

10 hours ago, TwinIon said:

For TV ratings, the best site is easily rtings.com

The Wirecutter isn't what it was, but their look at soundbars is pretty comprehensive. Personally I'm only buying a soundbar if space is a real issue or if you don't want to spend any money. I have some cheap Vizio sound bars for secondary TVs, and I'm thinking about moving away from them.

Came here to recommend rtings as well.

20 minutes ago, Pent said:

Thanks guys.

So I think I have narrowed it down to two TVs, maybe three, but I am not sure what the differences between the two Vizios are...  if any?  probably same TV?

Here are the TV choices (found at rtings.com)...

Vizio P65-F1  (I think this one and the next are the same TV, maybe? The review of this on the "Best 65" TVs" leads to the same page as the next review.)

Vizio P Series 2018 (65")  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

TCL 65R617  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

From what I can tell, the Vizios are both around $1100 (TCL is about $1000) , but I couldn't find what the differences are, but maybe they are the same TV and just named differently on the reviews?  I couldn't find any reviews that compared them against each other.  I think my main concern with the Vizios is that I am not sure if I'll be able to find those models... Evidently it seems that both are hard to find, maybe?  The Vizio P Series rates a little higher than the TCL one on the site.

I think I may wait on the sound bar though.  There is a Vizio one on the site that Twinlon linked to that I am curious about, mainly about the subwoofer being wireless and the satellite speakers can attached to the subwoofer, but I am worried about sound lag that is mentioned on the Walmart site for the item.  I'd love to have wireless satellite speakers so wires wouldn't be all over the place, but i never even considered the sound might lag every so often.   ...I do like the idea of using the sound bar's bluetooth capability with apps on my my phone though.

Yes the review from rtings is the same P65-F1. Under "Check Price" near the top it has sizes and part numbers.

I just bought the Vizio P  65" series on Sunday and I can tell you first hand the picture is even better than I expected. Highly recommend the TV. Only thing is it went back up in price by $200. I would wait for it to get cheaper again.

Soundbars seem overrated to me.  Its like a market that popped up because tv's got so thin they have to put crappy speakers in them.  I have one that cost about $250 and its "fine".  Its just the bar and the sub.  No rear speakers.  Its really just going to give you good loud sound.  You will hear details that you probably won't hear from the speakers on the tv.  If you already have a surround sound set up, a soundbar might even be a step down.  

10 hours ago, Jose said:

I just bought the Vizio P  65" series on Sunday and I can tell you first hand the picture is even better than I expected. Highly recommend the TV. Only thing is it went back up in price by $200. I would wait for it to get cheaper again.

I think the only thing that might hold me back from getting the P series 65" TV is not being able to find one.  It seems that places have a hard time keeping them in stock.

10 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Soundbars seem overrated to me.  Its like a market that popped up because tv's got so thin they have to put crappy speakers in them.  I have one that cost about $250 and its "fine".  Its just the bar and the sub.  No rear speakers.  Its really just going to give you good loud sound.  You will hear details that you probably won't hear from the speakers on the tv.  If you already have a surround sound set up, a soundbar might even be a step down.  

I think I have decided to not get a sound bar since I already have the surround system and haven't had any issues with it.

I’m just going to mention again that you should genuinely consider waiting 3-ish months for 2019 models with HDMI 2.1

This isn’t a case of “oh, you’re always waiting for the next thing, just buy now!”, HDMI 2.1 is a BIG deal, especially for gaming. And, if you own a XboneX, it’s 2.1 ready and supports most of the new gaming-based features like removing display latency/input lag and variable refresh rate. Unless, of course, you’re planning on upgrading again in a year or two, you should at least read up on why HDMI 2.1 is a game changer for video games, then make your decision.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Only 55” and he is looking for a 65” 

I actually almost bought that tv during Boxing Week up here in Canada. Good picture but I went with a Sony 55900F instead and I’m happy I did. Some handy apps, Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR10 support. Although the new models coming out to replace them look even more amazing. 

On 2/9/2019 at 12:24 PM, Spork3245 said:

Thanks @Spork3245   That's a really nice TV, but I am hoping for a 65".  I think I made up my mind on the P series Vizio 65".   I would wait for the new models if i could, but I have a feeling that if i don't get a new TV when my taxes come in I won't be able to until two years from now.  (I can only claim my son every two years because of being divorced.)

On a related note...  are there any 4k movies that are out that anyone would recommend?  I will more than likely get the Star wars movies that was released recently The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, and Solo if they are all on 4k... Plus, I haven't seen any of them. :O Might get Atomic Blonde too unless I can find a different "action" movie.

1 hour ago, Pent said:

Thanks @Spork3245   That's a really nice TV, but I am hoping for a 65".  I think I made up my mind on the P series Vizio 65".   I would wait for the new models if i could, but I have a feeling that if i don't get a new TV when my taxes come in I won't be able to until two years from now.  (I can only claim my son every two years because of being divorced.)

On a related note...  are there any 4k movies that are out that anyone would recommend?  I will more than likely get the Star wars movies that was released recently The Force Awakens, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, and Solo if they are all on 4k... Plus, I haven't seen any of them. :O Might get Atomic Blonde too unless I can find a different "action" movie.

By the time you get your taxes back the hdmi 2.1 versions should be within a month away! :p 

1 hour ago, Pent said:

Unless Atomic Blonde is known for its 4K you should get John Wick 1 and 2. Idk if they’re “real 4K” but they look good and they’re fucking awesome movies. 

The Nolan movies look great and everybody says the Bladerunner movies do as well. 

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

The Nolan movies look great and everybody says the Bladerunner movies do as well. 

Yup Ill second this.

1 hour ago, Pent said:

On a related note...  are there any 4k movies that are out that anyone would recommend? 

Thor Ragnarok ,The 2001 remaster ,Matrix Trilogy,The Revenant,Murder On The Orient Express,Bram Stokers Dracula,The Last Jedi

Id skip Solo , the movie is fine but visually its mediocre.

If you are willing to import(all uhd discs region free) Paddington 2 is one of my go to discs. Atomic Blonde looks good, but not John Wick 1&2 good. So I recommend the following:

Blade Runner/BR 2049

Pacific Rim

Dunkirk

Nolan’s Batman Trilogy

Avengers: Infinity War (but prefer the 3D import overall)

Ghostbusters (new one. The colours are amazing looking, but movie so-so)

Ready Player One

On 2/6/2019 at 5:42 AM, DarkStar189 said:

The speakers on tvs are in the back now and you're hearing the sound bounce off the wall back to you. A sound bar projects the audio directly to you maintaining quality without having wires all over or a renovation for surround sound. I definitely notice the audio quality, especially on the rare days the TV is on for a long while, I no longer get that tired of TV sound hissing ear.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

By the time you get your taxes back the hdmi 2.1 versions should be within a month away! :p 

Heh, I normally would agree, but I know of two people who have gotten their refunds within a week to a week and a half of them filing.  I expect mine either this week or Tuesday after President's day.

5 hours ago, johnny said:

Unless Atomic Blonde is known for its 4K you should get John Wick 1 and 2. Idk if they’re “real 4K” but they look good and they’re fucking awesome movies. 

5 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Bram Stokers Dracula

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

Atomic Blonde looks good, but not John Wick 1&2 good.

Blade Runner/BR 2049

Nolan’s Batman Trilogy

I will also look at these.  I didn't even think about Nolan's Batman Trilogy, Dracula, or BR 2049...   I really liked the John Wick movies, so that's two more.

22 minutes ago, Pent said:

Heh, I normally would agree, but I know of two people who have gotten their refunds within a week to a week and a half of them filing.  I expect mine either this week or Tuesday after President's day.

Oh, do you have yours directly deposit and not mailed? I've heard that's faster but something about sending my bank account info in the mail always holds me back :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, do you have yours directly deposit and not mailed? I've heard that's faster but something about sending my bank account info in the mail always holds me back :p 

Yeah, direct deposit.  Been using the same tax website since 1999.  Website, so no mailing anything.

Oh, BTW, the top games for HDR are probably Red Dead Redemption 2 (XboneX Version ONLY, PS4 3rd party games always have weird HDR) Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4, and Spider-Man. Everyone mentions God of War but I wasn't impressed by it :shrug: 

Movies that made me happy with my purchase:

Pacific Rim (it's really the movie to show off HDR, nothing else even comes close as a tech demo... besides maybe Deadpool 1 and 2)

John Wick 

John Wick 2

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Thor Ragnarok was OKAY, but should/could have been better, IMO (still a good HDR movie, but it's also disappointing given the use of colors in the original cut and everything... IMO)

Die Hard (no, really, the transfer to 4k and HDR via the original 8mm film is insanely good and is night and day over the original or 1080p version

Deadpool (OMG)

Deadpool 2  (OMG2)

5 minutes ago, Pent said:

Yeah, direct deposit.  Been using the same tax website since 1999.  Website, so no mailing anything.

I do it myself via TurboTax :sadsun: