Apex Legends | Official Thread of Remembering the Titans

Commissar SFLUFAN

8 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

This is a really good BR.  It does so many smart things that I think other BR's may incorporate.  

I also feel like the TTK being a little higher is nice.  Battles feel a bit more drawn out and strategic, with abilities and other things really coming into play.  

I have no idea if it'll have long term legs like some of the other good BR's, but I dont see why not.  Like Fortnite, they are playing in a sci fi space, where they can add anything they want to drastically change the way the game plays.  Any crazy item or weapons are all fair play.  Something PUBG and CoD to an extent are stuck dealing with.  They also can just keep adding more "Legends" to keep it feeling fresh. 

I really look forward to see where this game goes.  Good on Respawn.  And this is another reason why i dont get the BR hate, and the "They are just cashing in on BR".  BR is an amazing concept of a game mode that can be taken to so many different places with so much variety.  Each one is so unique in how they play, and I love we are getting more and more of them.

*And its nice to have a game release like this.  So many games these days.... ahem Anthem and Division..... we get so many damn game previews and dev talks and blah blah blah that you kind of get fatigued on the game.  Its nice to have a game announced and then release and just let everyone play it.

I've played more and I definitely think it's the best actual BR, but I'm definitely in the boat where I don't see the absolute beauty in BR or agree that they're all so different. They are pretty much the same outside of little gimmick additions, and differences in overall gunplay...but running and looting in this feels the same as any BR out there. 

My issue with the genre is there are way to many moments where nothing is going on and itll lead to an instant death or a few good battles, but ultimately the matches will most likely result in overall losses. 

I've had a few matches now where it was down to my squad and one other, and even with a victory i don't think it'd be that thrilling to win. I won I think 1 or 2 in fortnite and I was just like "okay...." 

But Now that I'm gettin more used to it, it's definitely a BR I can actually stomach... But man give me a classic shooter any day of the week. 

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

My issue with the genre is there are way to many moments where nothing is going on and itll lead to an instant death or a few good battles, but ultimately the matches will most likely result in overall losses. 

I've had a few matches now where it was down to my squad and one other, and even with a victory i don't think it'd be that thrilling to win. I won I think 1 or 2 in fortnite and I was just like "okay...." 

But Now that I'm gettin more used to it, it's definitely a BR I can actually stomach... But man give me a classic shooter any day of the week. 

That is why you have to actively pursue other players and try to kill them. Go for them, pressure them not the other way around.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That is why you have to actively pursue other players and try to kill them. Go for them, pressure them not the other way around.

I do, my point is still regardless I find the overall setup boring compared to a typical fps match. 

Like i said I think it's a decent game, best br I've personally played but I won't be sad the day something new replaces BR. 

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

I do, my point is still regardless I find the overall setup boring compared to a typical fps match. 

Like i said I think it's a decent game, best br I've personally played but I won't be sad the day something new replaces BR. 

I wouldn't hold my breath, it took about 30 years for something to come out that isn't a deathmatch variant. For better or worse, BR is the biggest development in multiplayer shooters in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, it took about 30 years for something to come out that isn't a deathmatch variant. For better or worse, BR is the biggest development in multiplayer shooters in the last 20 years.

Either way I'll forever still love classic tdm style online matches, been playing that way since the early 90s and as long as the game has fun weapons and a good overall premise I'll enjoy it.

Sadly br will never be my go to, but I'm glad that at least there's one br game thats not bad that I can somewhat enjoy. Anything but fuckin fortnite 

24 minutes ago, Moa said:

I'm pretty surprised at this game's initial success given how similar it seems to the COD BR, but I guess being free is a huge draw.

Being free is a big draw but Apex also has more features, faster gameplay, more guns, more skins, an actual roadmap and a tested developer commited to support it for years with a publisher giving them free reign to do what they want. If Apex wasn't free I could see Respawn charging maybe 30 bucks for it because it is just that good. 

Also the game has been datamined and apparently Duo and Solo play are in the works. 

29 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Being free is a big draw but Apex also has more features, faster gameplay, more guns, more skins, an actual roadmap and a tested developer commited to support it for years with a publisher giving them free reign to do what they want. If Apex wasn't free I could see Respawn charging maybe 30 bucks for it because it is just that good. 

Also the game has been datamined and apparently Duo and Solo play are in the works. 

Yep Blackout, especially on PC, is the last to receive updates and has no real roadmap. Disappointing because it could have been great

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

:feelsgood:

If you think all BR's move and play the same you clearly haven't played many BR's, which you've admitted.  The big BR's that come to mind are Fortnite, Blackout, PUBG, and to a lesser extent Realm Royale.  And now there's Apex Legends.

They all are so damned different, to say they are all alike is like saying Halo and Battlefield are the same game.  I can completely understand why some hate BR's, if I was a solo only player I wouldn't really play them much, I've never enjoyed solos in BR's.  I do love Duos or Squads though.  

Also, not to say anyone here isn't good at games, but if you're not great at games in general, or the specific BR, the yeah, you're not gonna have a good time and will hate them.. You die and you're out, you're not gonna feel good about the game if you hardly get to participate.  

BR's have basically killed my interest in traditional multiplayer.  Not having any stakes on living or dying in regular TDM's modes is boring.  They are fun for a few minutes but ultimately just not really enough to keep me caring too long, where as the intensity of BR's and the thrill of winning drives me to wanting to keep improving.  

To each their own though, but I cant wait for Battlefields BR in a few months, and hopefully we get more great unique takes on the genre.  

24 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

If you think all BR's move and play the same you clearly haven't played many BR's, which you've admitted.  The big BR's that come to mind are Fortnite, Blackout, PUBG, and to a lesser extent Realm Royale.  And now there's Apex Legends.

They all are so damned different, to say they are all alike is like saying Halo and Battlefield are the same game.  I can completely understand why some hate BR's, if I was a solo only player I wouldn't really play them much, I've never enjoyed solos in BR's.  I do love Duos or Squads though.  

Also, not to say anyone here isn't good at games, but if you're not great at games in general, or the specific BR, the yeah, you're not gonna have a good time and will hate them.. You die and you're out, you're not gonna feel good about the game if you hardly get to participate.  

BR's have basically killed my interest in traditional multiplayer.  Not having any stakes on living or dying in regular TDM's modes is boring.  They are fun for a few minutes but ultimately just not really enough to keep me caring too long, where as the intensity of BR's and the thrill of winning drives me to wanting to keep improving.  

To each their own though, but I cant wait for Battlefields BR in a few months, and hopefully we get more great unique takes on the genre.  

I'm referring to the anxiety aspect, loot hunt from the get go, who's where etc... That doesn't change for me BR to BR.

As for being good, Im happy with how I play pretty much every game especially shooters. Im not the greatest but no where near the worst at a 1.8-2.5ish in pretty much most shooters, and like I said I'm happy with that. 

I could totally be decent at Royales if I really got into them but at the end of the day just as you find tdm boring, I find the overall premise of BR fairly boring after a few matches.  I have enjoyed it a little but after 6 to 8 matches I'm pretty much good to turn it off. 

But like you said to each their own and that's totally fine, we all have our preference.. Classic PvP will never be old for me tho that's for sure.  

I also need more than skins in a game for a draw point, chasing skins is meh to me.

But as I said ultimately this feels better to me than other BR games I've tried, any BR that doesn't have a silly build mechanic during combat is already a better game 

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Do you play mostly solo?  The anxiety aspect of running solo changes a lot playing Duos or with a Squad. 

Oh yea with a squad it's definitely better, but still there's a heightened sense of tension since the match is over if you're ganked and your squad gets wiped. 

But the ultimate aspect for me is just the constant action in standard shooters, you die and boom you're back in the fight... That'll forever be my go to. 

But I gave pubg, fortnite and blackout br all a shot prior to AL, and legends definitely has a better feel 

2 hours ago, The def star said:

Activision has no real plans to support anything longer than a year.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. They’ve already shown signs of retooling their price model on blops4, selling each mode separately and whatnot.

I think they understand that they need to experiment with some new ways of handling their content. 

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Do you play mostly solo?  The anxiety aspect of running solo changes a lot playing Duos or with a Squad. 

Hell that anxiety is what I like the most about BR games... it's why I run them solid for the most part.

1 minute ago, DarkStar189 said:

Did Fortnite blow up that fast? I don't think so... felt more like a slow burn.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hell that anxiety is what I like the most about BR games... it's why I run them solid for the most part.

Did Fortnite blow up that fast? I don't think so... felt more like a slow burn.

I remember thinking how Fortnite ripped off PUBG right when it came out and then probably a week or two later it was blowing up pretty hard. Probably not as fast as Apex just did. Fortnite definitely has people primed to try something new. Launching free sure helps get eyes on a game. 

Fortnite BR was very bare bones at the start and took a lot of development before it became the giant that it is now. I started playing midway through Season 2 and the game had just started to attract mainstream attention around that time. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This game, because it's so fast paced, I could see becoming a legit E-Sport. I haven't put a lot of time into it yet but I plan to.

I don't think BR games work well as esports for several reasons.

1. Randomness and luck play too large a role.

1a. BR games generally break down when all parties are "playing to win." When the objective is to be the last person standing defensive play will always be the most logical thing and it will make the games unfun for the competitors and uninteresting for observers. This is well-illustrated by all the water camping in early PUGB tournaments.

2. Spectators will only ever get to see a tiny slice of any given match and in order to keep the viewing experience interesting production teams will have to frequently shift perspectives making it hard for viewers to ever get invested in any one player's perspective and success.

3. The logistics of running a tournament with that many people playing simultaneously would be awful. Returning to the "play to win" argument, in order for tournaments to prevent camping/defensive/boring play they will have to implement rules that incentivize killing. This will likely lead to a system where the players who win the match(es) do not necessarily win the event, which will be anticlimactic for everyone since in a lot of situations to results of the event will be determined well before the final kill of the final round. A system like this would feel bad for spectators and competitors alike.

These obstacles aren't entirely insurmountable, and I hope these games can succeed as esports but I don't envy anyone whose job it is to figure all this out. 

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

I don't think BR games work well as esports for several reasons.

You mention PUBG for one reason but then the other two reasons you mention work for PUBG like PUBG has an excellent spectator mode casters use and they have PUBG tournament all the time, at least they used to, like ESL which seemed to work pretty well.

These are top games on twitch so regardless of how hard you say it is to watch people are watching them esports or not.

29 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You mention PUBG for one reason but then the other two reasons you mention work for PUBG like PUBG has an excellent spectator mode casters use and they have PUBG tournament all the time, at least they used to, like ESL which seemed to work pretty well.

These are top games on twitch so regardless of how hard you say it is to watch people are watching them esports or not.

Twitch streaming and organized esports are not the same thing. I'm talking about tournament play and all of my points are aimed at that.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Twitch streaming and organized esports are not the same thing. I'm talking about tournament play and all of my points are aimed at that.

Both make good points. I think this game in particular because of the way it forces encounters and how fast the matches are AND the focus on champion abilities and team work could be the BR game that may make it as an E-SPORT. Apex Legends is a weird hybrid of BR games like PUBG and Fortnite and Games like Overwatch and its designed that way. I didn't think competitive PUBG could be successful as a spectator streamed game until I worked one of their events over the summer. After seeing that and what worked and didn't work for PUBG, I can definitely see how Apex Legends overcomes some of those detriments.

• Thanks 1

Ive watched some "competitive" PUBG games.  Many times scoring isnt set up just as a Last Man standing wins format.  It also incorporates kills into scoring, so if a team is more aggressive they benefit from killing more.  Camping and making it to the end can net you points, but simply being last alive is not always the focus.  

I've also tried watching Halo and CoD Competitive games, and they are pretty hard to follow trying to jump from vantage point to vantage point constantly.  BR's being slightly slower in their nature can be easier to follow with a good production and shout-casting team.  And if you do miss a good fight, again if you have a good team producing the tourney, they can show the replay of fights they miss during a lull in the action  

3 more wins on APEX last night.  Thought we had a 4th in the bag but blew it cause we were overconfident.  

On 2/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Also because I'm an EA access member I got a bunch of stuff when I first logged in... not sure what exactly :p

You get a gun skin, 1000 coints and a badge.

I came to mention the EA access thing but wanted to see if anyone mentioned it already. :p

(Also you probably figured this out by now but I just loaded it up! )

• Thanks 1